86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting 4runner

Im looking into painting my 1995 4runner. 4x4. 3.slow. automatic. I want to go with a black a retain that strip on it. Meaning getting a new decal. So what am i looking at as far as price goes?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:53 PM

hmm well paintign a truck is a huge range in price. Do you need body work? theres is a place that sells stock toyota decals for resonable prices and have just about every one ever made but i cant remember the site. I know people may recomend maco and as far as they go there prices are cheap ad as i have found the quality really varies from place to place. I am gettign my 87 4runner painted and in my town the tech school has a waiting list. Once your on it and you do all the body work yourself and they paint it for free you just pay for paint. They are students learning to do the stuff but the supervisors there make sure they do it right and if they dont it is fixed. They paint jobs they do are awesome and many friends have had 200k street rods and classics painted by them and the paint quality is amazing. So total i am lookign at 300 bucks for a paint job on my truck for an amazing job when 300 at maco gets you mostly crap....IMO. Look into it at a tech school near you i have heard many places besides the one in my town doing this.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:20 PM

there was a guy on 4x4 wire that painted his cars with a canadian brand of rustolium in the gallon type he used a very fine roller brush and thined the paint down i am trying to find the link he has pics of the cars he has done they look pro
Old 08-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CyMoN
there was a guy on 4x4 wire that painted his cars with a canadian brand of rustolium in the gallon type he used a very fine roller brush and thined the paint down i am trying to find the link he has pics of the cars he has done they look pro
Here are the threads that I found that on.

Moparts original thread...

Then ^this^ thread was closed and continued in this one...

Moparts continued thread...

This is what I am currently doing in my build.

The general consensus is that the paint process takes longer and the shine isn't as "deep". Also darker colors tend to fade quickly without regular waxing.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:51 AM

It is true that macco will not be a very good paint job. This is because of the price you pay and the method they use to prep the vehicle. If you take some time and do some prep your self your paint will turn out fine.

If you look at a maaco paint job it is not the paint that is bad. Its the prep. You get fisheyes, pin holes in body filler, sanding marks, overspray on EVERYTHING, in six months paint starts peeling away from window trim and door lock becuase it is impossible to prep around these items when they are installed. Maaco does not remove anything unless you pay extra but then your getting into more money.

All you have to do is take a few hours out of a day and remove all your trim, bumpers, locks, etc. Check out the pics of my mustang svo I did all the body work and prep on and had Maaco paint with Nason polyurathane single stage. I did not have a few grand laying around for a paint job but after a good wetsanding and buffing nobody can tell. It is like mirror. I went to the extreme on this one but all you have to do is remove the external stuff.

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/thomasjman/Auto/
Old 08-19-2006, 04:33 PM

I looked up Earl Sheib and looked into thier stuff instead of Maaco.

I'm gonna get one with a 6 or 7 year warranty, and it's only about 700 bucks.

They have a bunch of levels and warranties....dunno if there's an Earl Shieb where you are but you can check....

www.earlsheib.com
Old 08-19-2006, 08:25 PM

You might also try this site for discontinued stripes:

http://www.jamesdeancreations.com/toyota.htm