86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

paint job price????

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paint job price????

I just called a local auto painting and repair shop and to paint just the outside of my 4runner from the red to white because my red is fading is around 600-700 bucks. Does that price sound about right? That doesn't include any door jams but that is the total price of just the ouside.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A paint job isnt something I would ever cheap out on
Save up and do it the right way
Or do a roll on job and let us know how it turns out
Old 08-07-2008, 01:43 PM
pwd

I paid $1700 for some very minor body work and a new paint job. I had it done the same colour, but I know they preped fairly decent cause I saw the truck with primer etc on. It looks really good, and its been about 1 year. Just make sure you get rid of rust spots, because they will come through again. After a week or so, make sure you gently wash it then put on a nice coat of wax to keep it protected/clean.

Last edited by pwd; 08-07-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:46 PM

well its only because i'm not doing the door cracks and under the hood just the outside. Because the lady before me got into a crash so one door is shiney and the rest of the car is faded so it needs to be fixed! lol
Old 08-07-2008, 04:20 PM

Here's a thought. Your red paint is a single stage finish (besides your door). I would be willing to bet that if you used a decent buffer (milwaukee, snap-on, makita) and purchased a 3M perfect-it pad (it is foam, more forgiving than a wool bonnet) and a good quality 3M rubbing compound followed by a polish and then a wax, your paint will most likely shine like new. My 87 truck is red (single stage) and requires the above procedure a few times a year, you might do it more times in a year if you park outside. After 21 years on the road nobody believes that my truck still has the original finish. You might spend a few hundred on supplies, but it will be well worth it. Stop by a quality detail shop and check to see what they would charge if you don't want to do it yourself. This is only my opinion, but a $700 paint job doesn't sound so great to me, especially when the repaint looks like sh** and your paint is peeling off because it wasn't prepped right. Take that money you will save by not painting it and buy some stuff that will make your runner perform better on the trails.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

I agree that it could possibly be buffed out. If you are not comfortable in taking on the task i would suggest getting a pro to do it. I have seen many paint jobs messed up due to someone not knowing what to do with a buffer. I would agree that it can be buffed out.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:26 PM

His 4Runner should be a base-clear and not a single stage. My 93 truck was base-clear.

James
Old 08-07-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
color changes are more expensive than same-color jobs because of different prep procedures. 7-800 sounds about right for a low-end job from maaco or similar.
and personally, I'd have the door frames and under-hood painted as well, but that's just me.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by JamesD
His 4Runner should be a base-clear and not a single stage. My 93 truck was base-clear.

James
You could be right, I searched a little but couldn't find an answer. I know that black, white, and plain red were the last colors for toyota to change to a base clear finish. This all happened in the early to mid ninety's. Yotaman804 could clear things up by rubbing a little compound on his truck with a rag. If there is any red on it that would be a single stage finish. My foam buffer pad is forever red. Are there any professional painters out there to put a nail in this coffin???
Old 08-07-2008, 06:39 PM

I think it should cost 1700-2000 for a good one w/ jams, inside engine bay (as much as possible), inside bed, remove lights, etc.

You kinda get what you pay for and most os all it should have a couple coats of quality clear on it...

...jmho
Old 08-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, $700 is way too cheap for a decent paint job. Don't do it!

Roll on or buff. ... and I say buff first.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

$700 not bad for a complete as long as the shop is reputable. I'm sure that's for a single stage acrylic or urethane. Get everything that they say there going to do in writing. Prep is just as important as the paint job. Unfortunately you are still just going to get a $700 paint job. Save a little more and have someone base-clear it the original color.

I did mine myself, but it would have been around $5000-$6000 for the body and paint I just did on my Runner. I have $1200 in just materials, but I went all high end DuPont. Full color change including jams and under hood. I'll post completed pics as soon as my bumpers are back from the powder coaters and installed.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:47 PM

wow thats a nice color
Old 08-07-2008, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by James Dean
$700 not bad for a complete as long as the shop is reputable. I'm sure that's for a single stage acrylic or urethane. Get everything that they say there going to do in writing. Prep is just as important as the paint job. Unfortunately you are still just going to get a $700 paint job. Save a little more and have someone base-clear it the original color.

I did mine myself, but it would have been around $5000-$6000 for the body and paint I just did on my Runner. I have $1200 in just materials, but I went all high end DuPont. Full color change including jams and under hood. I'll post completed pics as soon as my bumpers are back from the powder coaters and installed.

That is a badass colour man, nice job!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:04 AM

I would go the 3M and buffing route first. You would be extremely surprised what some of that stuff can do. Even on my old 93 I cleaned it very well and just used a glazing compound and it evened everything out and came to life. They make special ones for deep colors like red.

As far as the paint job it might be a decent one. A lot of guys in that business are hurting for money and are trying to get jobs. The material and paint might not be that great but it would look ok I'm sure.

As far as waiting a week to wash and wax. More like a couple of months. It really takes a long time to fully dry. You can wash it with a mild soap just after a few days but I wouldn't wax for about 2 months.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:35 AM
pwd

Sorry to intrude, but that is an amazing job James Dean! I like the colour too. Can't wait to see the rest.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:45 PM

HEY JAMES DEAN!
Got my Toyota stripes from you a couple days ago, great quality and love the lt.charcoal! Can't thank you enough!

Awesome paint too!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:37 PM

James Dean: awesome paint job! sure beats my flat black rattle can job!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:13 PM

Wow, that is an amazing paint job. I didn't think I'd like a more "modern" colour on an older 4Runner, but man, that's spectacular!
Old 08-10-2008, 05:52 AM

I'm changing mine from red to white.. I'm doing it myself a little at a time and learning as i go.... my main reason for painting it is boredom and white is cooler than red in the summertime.....

Quick Reply: paint job price????