Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

out of the blue; won't start.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
out of the blue; won't start.

while it is running , it is fine. turn on all the stuff; ac, radio, lights, back window, etc., needle for the dial inside barely moves. Turn it off, try to restart , and when you turn the key, you get the nice loud " CLICK", BUT nothing happens. you don't hear nothing trying to crank either, just that first , loud energizing " CLICK". if I get a jump, I put the cables on, wait about a minute or so, and it will jump right over. never had this prob before, and it just started today. Hope the guys who put my lift parts on, didn't shake something loose or take something off...
IT IS an Interstate batt, less than a year old, in good shape; took the water covers off, they are full. Had it tested about 4 months ago, at an Interstate shop, they kept it overnight. Next day, they said it was just fine.
have not metered the batt, have not tried another one in it's place, thought 1 of my distrib cables was loose, it looked loose, but it might have just been the rubber boot part; anyway I pushed it back on, but that did nothing diff.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would start by looking for loose conections, check the battery cable from the battery to the starter, also check the power wire from the battery positive to the fuse box, i had this wire go bad on a 4Runner and cause problems.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont forget about the neg cables as well
Old 12-31-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Definitely check the battery connections since it's common for mechanics to disconnect the battery while they're working, just in case.
May also just be a coincidence and the starter contacts need looked into.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As the contact in my starter solenoid wore down it got fussy before it stopped working. I could smack on the solenoid housing and the engine would start. Later, only a jump would do the trick, yet my battery was fine.

Just something to consider when troubleshooting.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...ok...metered the batt last night after I got out, from driving it all day- 12.7 V
locked it, turned alarm on. got up this morning, metered the batt- 12.5 v; that is with an alarm, and sitting at least 12 hrs. So I would say batt is fine, and being charged while driving. so then, if I am thinking right, something is loose or worn out, from the batt to the starting side stuff, or the neg cables from the batt are loose... am I thinking right here?