Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

are our trucks dieing ???

Old 10-30-2008, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are our trucks dieing ???

Yes, they are Toyotas, and toyota pickups at that, but it seems there has been a surge of problems lately, and a lot of them seemed to be related. I swear, when something goes wrong on my truck, there are like three threads with people having the exact same problem. However, i do understand, proper maintenance and repairs will keep a vehicle running forever, more or less, BUT, what if Toyota engineers were all sitting around and were like crap. .... 20 years is just to long for a vehicle to last to the point to be able to drive it everyday. Then one of them was like, ok, were going to have a self destruct point, when they get over 20 years.... Lol, hardly, but 20 years is a long time.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah i hear you on this but mine was a hg fail but its the same as everyone else oh and lastr night i almost did the same post but not so many words lol good though anyone have a inside leak on this lol??
Old 10-30-2008, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Swansen
Yes, they are Toyotas, and toyota pickups at that, but it seems there has been a surge of problems lately, and a lot of them seemed to be related. I swear, when something goes wrong on my truck, there are like three threads with people having the exact same problem. However, i do understand, proper maintenance and repairs will keep a vehicle running forever, more or less, BUT, what if Toyota engineers were all sitting around and were like crap. .... 20 years is just to long for a vehicle to last to the point to be able to drive it everyday. Then one of them was like, ok, were going to have a self destruct point, when they get over 20 years.... Lol, hardly, but 20 years is a long time.
My truck started to die at around 17-18 years of age which is when I got it. It had pretty much 0 maintainance done to it in those years so I figure I am paying for that now. I am talking about mechanicals though.

The bodywork is another story. lol

20 years Is a long time for a vehicle to last considering most cars now adays are usually junk after 6-7 years of use.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Only thing wrong with my truck right now is the timing chain, and my truck has 392000 km's
Old 10-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Banned

My truck has 170,XXX on it, no mechanical problems EVER since I bought it except for the waterpump went out, and the muffler fell off.

My Tacoma has 310,XXX and the waterpump finally went out..

& my Van I used to have had 240,XXX and it ran horrible, but never left me stranded, its waterpump went out, I got a thing for those for some reason.. (Ford Econoline wonder why it sucked )
Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 AM

Have you ever seen a car that lasts forever? I say 20 years is a pretty good run, eh? Can't complain about that.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by stagger_lee
Have you ever seen a car that lasts forever? I say 20 years is a pretty good run, eh? Can't complain about that.
Yeah thats shows the engineering that went into making these old trucks. 20 years is a great run.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just turned 394 000 kms today. Starts and runs beautifully (3.4 swap, mind you). I've done a couple little things to it, like a pinion seal and front bearings, but those are a lot cheaper than monthly payments on a new vehicle.

My 4Runner owes me nothing.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by eightnine
Yeah thats shows the engineering that went into making these old trucks. 20 years is a great run.
and its 20 years of normally running pretty strong. Not 10 years strong and 10 of just a pos, and doesnt want to go anywhere.

Wonder if it could be 20 strong years and 20 weak...
Old 10-30-2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gokumono
Wonder if it could be 20 strong years and 20 weak...
Yes, i think you have figured it out there.. its just a slow death from here out. HOWEVER, i think there is an exception to the rule. A: if you have snow where you live, then you more than likely will get salt on your roads, therefore, it will eat your vehicle alive. Honestly, rust is a killer of all vehicle components, and makes repairs much more difficult. So, if your below the snow belt, i think the Toyota Kill switch gets disengaged, or malfunctions
Old 10-30-2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by just a 22re
yeah i hear you on this but mine was a hg fail but its the same as everyone else oh and lastr night i almost did the same post but not so many words lol good though anyone have a inside leak on this lol??
call toyota and ask em
Old 10-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Swansen
Yes, i think you have figured it out there.. its just a slow death from here out. HOWEVER, i think there is an exception to the rule. A: if you have snow where you live, then you more than likely will get salt on your roads, therefore, it will eat your vehicle alive. Honestly, rust is a killer of all vehicle components, and makes repairs much more difficult. So, if your below the snow belt, i think the Toyota Kill switch gets disengaged, or malfunctions
if the switch does get disengaged, us southern Toyota-ers cover the underside of the truck in mud and turn the switch back on
Old 10-30-2008, 01:38 PM

i just turned my switch off with a new rebuild motor trans tires and paint.. lol
Old 10-30-2008, 01:44 PM

AS soon as my title gets to me in the mail, its getting burned. I will never sell this one, and my son has already made me promise he gets it when he gets his license in 8 years. I can rebuild her as many times as she needs as long as they are still makin parts. Its all about how much you love your car. Thank God for the Cali sun and no rust.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:49 PM

I just completed 'heavy' maintenance on my 22RE. Everything from chain, to rebuilding the head, to hoses, vaccum system, and exhaust parts. She has 240,000 miles on her today. Rebuilt the trans and transfer case, swapped in new 4:88 gears. I took her in for a smog check (emissions check) and the tech refused to check a car with over 200,000 miles on it. SO, told him I'd give him $200 if it did not pass, or my test was free. I like free.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by 87LVRunner
I just completed 'heavy' maintenance on my 22RE. Everything from chain, to rebuilding the head, to hoses, vaccum system, and exhaust parts. She has 240,000 miles on her today. Rebuilt the trans and transfer case, swapped in new 4:88 gears. I took her in for a smog check (emissions check) and the tech refused to check a car with over 200,000 miles on it. SO, told him I'd give him $200 if it did not pass, or my test was free. I like free.

did it pass? and seems you have the same rims and tires as me..lol

edit..i take that back you have all terrain..not mud.. my bad
Old 10-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sincal

seems to be a fairly common rim; I just bought myself a used set...

ok, different center cap, but eh, what-ev

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 10-30-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:57 PM

very nice.. what are they called they came with my truck when i bought it last year. Im thinking about going to steelies soon
Old 10-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

ProComp Xtreme Alloy series 1069

http://www.procomptires.com/pxa1069.html
Old 10-30-2008, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by sincal

Passed with flying colors. He was actually in shock that it ran better than some new cars, produced far less emissions. My only complaint is my A/C is marginal at best. Oh yeah, and bumpers, sliders, SAS, and dual cases!!! I was going in one direction as you can see, but have decided to actually use it. These things only need a little love. I had an 85 with 650,000 miles, but someone needed it more than me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: are our trucks dieing ???