Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil looks milky and smells like gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil looks milky and smells like gasoline

90' 22re with 350,000km

I bought it last May and only put on about 4,000km since owning it since it's more of a project/bush truck. It's been parked on my driveway all winter. Had to start it up a couple times to shuffle some cars, but otherwise it's been sitting. I decided to check the oil today and once I removed the oil cap it smelled heavily of gasoline. he oil residue on the oil cap also looked a little milky, but the oil on the dipstick looks good. Rad is still full so could the milkiness just be from moisture/condensation? The weather's been pretty crazy here going from spring to winter conditions, so I'd expect a lot of moisture buildup might have occurred. But the gasoline smell? Leaky injectors?
Old 03-02-2017, 03:18 PM

A would suspect condensation and the short "trips" in your driveway. Change the oil, clean the cap, drive it and monitor it.

Pull the plugs to see if any show signs of running rich, but I think it just needs to be taken on longer trips.

If you still have condensation, then do other checks like a block test kit to check for a leaking head gasket.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by DallasTX
A would suspect condensation and the short "trips" in your driveway. Change the oil, clean the cap, drive it and monitor it.

Pull the plugs to see if any show signs of running rich, but I think it just needs to be taken on longer trips.

If you still have condensation, then do other checks like a block test kit to check for a leaking head gasket.
I think so too. Just means the cold start injector is doing it's job then. About changing the oil. Any good in using high mileage oil or just stick the the regular stuff?
Old 03-02-2017, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by mattyboi
I think so too. Just means the cold start injector is doing it's job then. About changing the oil. Any good in using high mileage oil or just stick the the regular stuff?
Lots of opinions on oil, but I just use regular stuff and change it twice a year. I do use Redline MT90 in the transmission, but have always used regular oil in the engine.