Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Oil Leak

Old 02-21-2018, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Leak

Hey gang, I've got a leak coming from the passenger side junction of the head/block/timing cover.

The head gasket was replaced about 50k ago so I think it's good, however I'm 90% sure the old head bolts we're reused. Any chance new headbolts could solve this without pulling the head?

Let me know,
Thanks!
-Jackson
Old 02-21-2018, 06:38 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Hey gang, I've got a leak coming from the passenger side junction of the head/block/timing cover.

The head gasket was replaced about 50k ago so I think it's good, however I'm 90% sure the old head bolts we're reused. Any chance new headbolts could solve this without pulling the head?
i'm not familiar enough with small block chevy engines to know whether that is a likely result. hopefully someone else is.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:22 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by wallytoo
i'm not familiar enough with small block chevy engines to know whether that is a likely result. hopefully someone else is.
It works on the Briggs in my craftsman lawn mower..

What Wally is saying here is you didn't tell us the required information.

It is a 22r series?

Head bolts should be torqued once only.
Head gaskets should only be compressed once.

Emphasis because people reuse bolts till they bottom out or snap, as well some people change out head bolts for studs while only removing the valve cover.

You've got a leak. Get it clean and dry see how long it takes to come back and where it's coming from. Decide if it's something you can live with or want fixed.

If it's where I think you are saying, (you should have posted a picture), the not toyota fipg lost its hold and the only way to fix that is pull the head and reapply it (with quality stuff).
Old 02-21-2018, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
It works on the Briggs in my craftsman lawn mower..

What Wally is saying here is you didn't tell us the required information.

It is a 22r series?

Head bolts should be torqued once only.
Head gaskets should only be compressed once.

Emphasis because people reuse bolts till they bottom out or snap, as well some people change out head bolts for studs while only removing the valve cover.

You've got a leak. Get it clean and dry see how long it takes to come back and where it's coming from. Decide if it's something you can live with or want fixed.

If it's where I think you are saying, (you should have posted a picture), the not toyota fipg lost its hold and the only way to fix that is pull the head and reapply it (with quality stuff).
I think you're exactly right, clearly some Ultra Grey right at that junction.

It's a 22r, and the head gasket looked brand new, but I suspect the head bolts are the originals.

Bummer, I was hoping to not have to pull the head. Tell me about this Toyota goop!

Here's some pics:

Last edited by sweitzerworks; 02-21-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:30 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Pull your valve cover and check the hidden fastener at the timing cover junction, also that the head bolt isn't just working its self loose there.

That's some pretty sloppy looking sealant work for sure, looks like it wasn't one clean pass and they didn't bother to wipe of the excess either.

Google Toyota fipg, more than you ever want to know about sealants and plenty of debates too. You want the black one, part number ends in 103.