Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Off Road Light Wiring?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Off Road Light Wiring?

So I'm looking into getting 4 Hella lights and a light bar for my 88 4Runner and I was wondering if if would be possible to use a "deck lamp" switch to control them via relay... I'm not a wiring wiz and I was wondering if it could be done to retain a factory look. Thanks in advance for the help!

Switch I was gonna use...
Old 07-21-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can use whatever switch you want. You got to figure out the ground wire, input positive wire and the output positive wire on the switch and that is all.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by 1991TonkaToy
You can use whatever switch you want. You got to figure out the ground wire, input positive wire and the output positive wire on the switch and that is all.
Awesome! Thanks for the info.. I'm pretty much a wiring noob so I didn't want to buy the switch and have it not work ($29 on fleabay).
Old 07-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Just make sure the relay can handle all of the lights.

I think you could find a switch to fit that spot that didn't say "deck lamp" though.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by bob200587
Just make sure the relay can handle all of the lights.

I think you could find a switch to fit that spot that didn't say "deck lamp" though.
I'll do my research on which relay to use. As for the "deck lamp", that should just scrape off with a flathead screwdriver. I don't need it to be perfect I just want to have it so if someone looks at the interior they would think it's just another factory switch.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:29 PM

Hmmm E scratched and made to look like an I. Jk
Old 07-21-2012, 09:39 PM

this might help u in the wiring,

the lead from battery to switch can also be taken from the igition area too.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:49 PM

Hmmm E scratched and made to look like an I. Jk

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
this might help u in the wiring,

the lead from battery to switch can also be taken from the igition area too.
Awesome! That helps alot! I'll get to buying all the parts here soon and I'll update the thread with the final product. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bob200587
Just make sure the ELECTRICAL SYSTEM AND ALTERNATOR can handle all of the lights.
Fixed it for you.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Fixed it for you.
If I did my math right, four 55w lights @12v (straight battery) only draws about 18.3 amps and @13.8v (ave alternator output) they only draw 15.9 amps. I do have to allow for a 10-15% burst when they first turn on, but if I just use a standard 30 amp relay w/ fuse then I should be fine right? I do have a question on which size of wire I should use... I've been reading that 8-10 gauge is good for what I need, but I'm not sure.

I ordered the switch from fleabay last night so I gotta start piecing together the lighting system soon. (that is second on the list next to lift/tires).
Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 AM

A 30 amp fuse/relay will work fine. As for the wire you can use at the minimum 12 gauge.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:58 AM

A 30 amp fuse/relay will work fine. As for the wire you can use at the minimum 12 gauge.
Then that's probably what I'll do. 30 amp relay an 10 gauge wire just to be safe.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Gonna look nice, I'll be back to see it

I did my 2- 8" Dick Cepek lights on my grill with a good relay/aftemarket switch(they fit right into the pop outs on the dash below the climate control... with just a lil hole).... And soldered and heat shrink'd everything. Running the relay CONSTANT hot wire off a Marine Fuse Block and this will allow me to add more lights, later. It also allows me to not clog up my battery with spaghetti soup running off it(Thanks IRAB, for the idea ). I also run my amp and power antenna off the thing, as well as a 12V aux power plug I have on the side of the radio bezel for 'ease of use' and ADEQUATE VOLTAGE! hahaha.... Stupid lil lighters in our rigs weren't too ready for LAPTOP CHARGING, eh? hehe.

Best wishes... post up pics, asap!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:01 PM

BTW.... just saw that sig! hahaha... Vitaly! Curious though... how does one get "Jeepital Warts"???
Old 07-22-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Gonna look nice, I'll be back to see it

I did my 2- 8" Dick Cepek lights on my grill with a good relay/aftemarket switch(they fit right into the pop outs on the dash below the climate control... with just a lil hole).... And soldered and heat shrink'd everything. Running the relay CONSTANT hot wire off a Marine Fuse Block and this will allow me to add more lights, later. It also allows me to not clog up my battery with spaghetti soup running off it(Thanks IRAB, for the idea ). I also run my amp and power antenna off the thing, as well as a 12V aux power plug I have on the side of the radio bezel for 'ease of use' and ADEQUATE VOLTAGE! hahaha.... Stupid lil lighters in our rigs weren't too ready for LAPTOP CHARGING, eh? hehe.

Best wishes... post up pics, asap!
Thanks for the advice! I'll take the aux/marine fuse block into consideration when I wire the lights. I'll have to get a whole plan drawn out (most likely in paint) and I'll upload it. I'm going for the Hella 550 55w driving lights mounted on a Dick Cepek "Baja Proven" light bar. I'm not sure why, but I like the rectangular lights better. I guess it just fits the "non-rounded" look of everything else on this generation 4Runner. I'm not a hardcore wheeler by any means, but night-wheelin (if you even wanna call it wheelin) on some of the logging roads/easy-ish trails we have in the pacific NW will now be easier. My headlights are SO dim it's not even funny. Fine for driving around town at night, but out in the county where there are no street lights it's torture :/

I'll be sure to update this thread AND my build thread with the things I did and the final product so check both in the near-ish future. Main priorities right now are lift/tires. I can't go on speed bumps without hitting the bump stops so the camping trip I'm planning that calls for trail riding sure won't be comfortable until I replace the springs.

BTW.... just saw that sig! hahaha... Vitaly! Curious though... how does one get "Jeepital Warts"???
One gets "Jeepital Warts" by associating with people that drive jeeps... Fairly simple to get, so STAY AWAY at all costs!
Old 07-22-2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by NickMiller
Thanks for the advice! I'll take the aux/marine fuse block into consideration when I wire the lights. I'll have to get a whole plan drawn out (most likely in paint) and I'll upload it. I'm going for the Hella 550 55w driving lights mounted on a Dick Cepek "Baja Proven" light bar. I'm not sure why, but I like the rectangular lights better. I guess it just fits the "non-rounded" look of everything else on this generation 4Runner. I'm not a hardcore wheeler by any means, but night-wheelin (if you even wanna call it wheelin) on some of the logging roads/easy-ish trails we have in the pacific NW will now be easier. My headlights are SO dim it's not even funny. Fine for driving around town at night, but out in the county where there are no street lights it's torture :/

I'll be sure to update this thread AND my build thread with the things I did and the final product so check both in the near-ish future. Main priorities right now are lift/tires. I can't go on speed bumps without hitting the bump stops so the camping trip I'm planning that calls for trail riding sure won't be comfortable until I replace the springs.

One gets "Jeepital Warts" by associating with people that drive jeeps... Fairly simple to get, so STAY AWAY at all costs!
hahaha... GOT IT, I will stay clear.

BTW, couple things........... I KNOW that the www.roundeyes.com headlights are all the rage! hahaha... But while they're not much cheaper, I have had MUCH better luck with my Silverstar Sylvanias, rather than the stock ones I had in... They ARE brighter. NOT bright enough to sub for the off road lights, HELL NO, lol...But still... they're an improvement and a quick and easy fix with a stop in to auto-parts-'WHOMEVER<<< INSERT THERE' haha.

I TOO am going with rectangular lights on top.. but mainly cuz my Con-Ferr cage will fit them PERFECTLY on all sides>>>>

Here's how I did the lights, to some degree....

Relay:

To Marine Fuse Block(which also powers my amp and aux power):

Which Runs through here for the AMP and Aux Power;

Off relay, which I ran the 'switched to' through the "antenna grommet" in the fenderwell through to the cab, all tucked and coming out here(you can see the 'LIGHTS' switch and Aux Power that comes from the Fuse block as well);

Switched power from here;

To here;

And all heat shrunk and soldered and wire wrap and THAT sealed from lights to relay, etc., from the front;

To these......

I will probably add just 2 more higher power spots in the front rectangles of the Con-Ferr Cage.... then a lil wider range lights, but still powerful in the rear rectangles of the Con-Ferr..... and then on the side of the cage, some more "HEY, LIGHT UP THAT WHOLE AREA WITH THOSE RECTANGULAR LED'S OR LAZERS OR WHATEVER YOU GOT THERE" hahaha... All this will come up through the roof behind the moonroof where I already have a hole from where a cb antenna was(PO ) .... To quick release/disconnects that I can stuff back into the ceiling when I'm not running the cage. LOTS of plans, and I WILL get it done.. just don't have a lot of free time. BUT, I've managed to get most of it done that I've planned/wanted(Other than an LS1 or 1UZ swap? hahahaa.)
Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 AM

Thanks a bunch for the pics Chef! I'm sure they'll help a bunch when it comes to wiring up the lights (when I eventually get them)!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:36 AM

When i get home later i will post a link. For around $60 you can replace the sealed beams with a new style headlight that has replaceable bulbs.The army is going to these. They are bright as hell and not very expensive.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:10 AM

When i get home later i will post a link. For around $60 you can replace the sealed beams with a new style headlight that has replaceable bulbs.The army is going to these. They are bright as hell and not very expensive.
Yep, very common mod on the site..... (Well, getting to be more and more common, I should say) haha.............

www.roundeyes.com
Old 07-26-2012, 06:09 AM

Yep, very common mod on the site..... (Well, getting to be more and more common, I should say) haha.............

www.roundeyes.com
Hmm, I might get a set of these to replace my headlights! I always thought roundeyes were like $250+ (I thought I had read that somewhere?) so this may be ANOTHER thing to put on my to-do-list.

Anyways, the switch came in today. Simple 3 wire setup. 1 blue, 1 blue w/red stripe, and 1 white with black. I'm assuming the white w/black is just the ground and that one blue is for the little light on the switch and the other blue w/red stripe is the power.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Off Road Light Wiring?