86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Not getting enough fuel?????HELP????

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not getting enough fuel?????HELP????

I own a 1990 4runner w/ the 3.0 V6. When I go out in the morning to start the truck it takes like 10-15 of cranking on the starter to get going. It sounds like it won't start because its not geting enough/any fuel. I have never really worked on one of these engines before and have always dealt with carbuerators. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Is this a common problem?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1990arizona4runner
I own a 1990 4runner w/ the 3.0 V6. When I go out in the morning to start the truck it takes like 10-15 of cranking on the starter to get going. It sounds like it won't start because its not geting enough/any fuel. I have never really worked on one of these engines before and have always dealt with carbuerators. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Is this a common problem?
fuel pump?? hows it start up once its already warm
Old 09-12-2007, 10:14 PM

Real quick test, becuase I spent about week figuring it out. Before you drop your tank and think its the pump.. what I thought.. only to be my mass air flow sensor.. I have that exact truck 90 v6.. go to you engine rerlay.jump fp+ to+b
what happens is, your mass air flow sensor kicks on the fuel pump.. mine went bad... out of the blue. If you go to your relay and short up, that is take a piece of wire and connect those two.. you will bypass your mass air flow and send power back to the pump. If it starts, wammy.. problem sloved. MAss air flow is hella expensive.. so I drove around for about 2 months like that. No damage, you might get even worse milage though.. as I think it does connect into the ECU.. but not sure.

Anyway, try that first. Its a 10 second test; before you go "oh fuel pump" and waste an entire day like I did.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 PM

Here are some pictures to help.. just took them.. and its dark.. so if it hurts and dosent help.. I can grab some tommorrow.. I really hope its that, because that tank is gonna be a pain to take down. Almost 20 year old bolts DO not want to move.. I bought a craftsman rust out bolt set.. saved my life.
Attached Thumbnails Not getting enough fuel?????HELP????-engine4.jpg  
Old 09-12-2007, 10:32 PM

The little grey bow up and to the left, just above the large fuse.. thats the test/jumper box. Thats the one you will be working with. Open it, on the cap, which will open to the right will be a list of what each spot is.. find the fp+ and connect it to b+.. thats the postive side of the battery.. direct power back to fuel pump.. If it dosent start..

Well now we start a simple diagnosis.
1. fuel
2. electrical

Either A. no fuel, or no spark.

Id suggest throwing some cold start in the air intake, if it cranks and then dies after that test.. you know your getting good, or at least good enough spark... which means fuel...
which could be.
1. Fuel Pump
2.fuel fliter, really clogged.. although you should have noticed stumbles and hesitations as it got closer and closer to clogging.
3.busted, or ruptured fuel line. - you would notice a smell of gas, as the pump tried to send it and it either leaked or spilled out.

If it dosent start with cold start, then electrical
1.Pllugs/wires
2.distributor bad/burnt
3.short or melt in wiring harness - PLEASE NOW.. its all kinds of a pain to work on.
4.VC issue.. a vacumn leak.. another pain to deal with.

SO, go and try the fuel pump trick.. notice any odd noises or smells.

This same thing happened to me, and I feel your pain. Hopefully my wasted time will save you some.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:24 AM
Banned

Holy cow!

Originally Posted by GVOLCRunner
Here are some pictures to help.. just took them.. and its dark.. so if it hurts and dosent help.. I can grab some tommorrow.. I really hope its that, because that tank is gonna be a pain to take down. Almost 20 year old bolts DO not want to move.. I bought a craftsman rust out bolt set.. saved my life.
Is that pic of your vehicle?? It could use a wash. Thanks for the good info.

Last edited by 4JOGGER; 09-13-2007 at 02:25 AM.