Sponsored by: DashLynx

no muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no muffler?

ok so im looking to squeeze some tq out of my 22re

figure if 220lb/ft + 3.73 + 33" is a good combo for a jeep, why not 165lb/ft + 4.10 + 33" for me?

i cleaned some black gunk out of my TB and intake mani, took the dremel to the TB and slapped a cone filter on that bitch lol

so now im thinking of taking off the (bosal?) muffler and put a 1.75" dia flex pipe in its place- so this would mean i have 1.75" exhaust from stock mani to cat to tail pipe- being such a small pipe (and the fact that its silent as is) i dont think the truck will be too loud or sound like a fart can

- so anyone think i can achieve my 165lb/ft goal while mantaining a good DD
- oh and anyone not think this will be enough power to run 33x10.5s without regearing?
Old 07-20-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got 33x12.50s on stock gears. its slow. i put on a magnaflow hi flow cat with 2.25inch exhaust to a glasspack. noticed a littel bit of difference but nothin to write home about. its not bad on 33s, you get used to it bout the first week. so to answer your 2nd question.. yes youll have enough power but yes it will still be slow and you wont be back to stock power
Old 07-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Banned

i know ill never be back to stock power lol- i want 33s with the power level of 31s- ie downshift to 4th uphill not 3rd

you also have 12.5 width which adds lot of extra weight vs 10.5

---i see the toy isnt your dd- would it be suitable for DD n merging onto highways

Last edited by greatskiiiier; 07-20-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:01 PM

it was my DD from october 2007 til about 3 weeks ago. i aint had my dodge to long. i drive the yota about 2-4 times a week. it sucks getting on teh interstate, but hey everybodys got brakes. i dont have no problem with the slowness of it. it gets me wherever i want it to. its not unbareable. i never have to downshift on the interstate, jsut pu tit to the floor and hope for the best. a good run-n-go helops alot to
Old 07-20-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
ok so im looking to squeeze some tq out of my 22re

figure if 220lb/ft + 3.73 + 33" is a good combo for a jeep, why not 165lb/ft + 4.10 + 33" for me?

>snip<

so anyone think i can achieve my 165lb/ft goal while mantaining a good DD
- oh and anyone not think this will be enough power to run 33x10.5s without regearing?
The 22re puts out more than 165 lb/ft at the crank (+180 for pre 85 and ~190 for 85-95) through the stock exhaust.

Also, I should ask WHICH JEEP ENGINE?

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-20-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you would stick OEM we would not have this problem now would we. If you are trying to gain more power through exhaust then get a header gut the cat or straight pipe or get a new one. Flowmaster muffler? Tune-up?
Old 07-20-2009, 07:56 PM

3.73's and 33's on a jeep is decent because most jeeps came with 3.55 (or something close, not really a jeep guy) i've heard the 4 cyl. jeeps came with 4.10's....

4.10's on a yota sounds sweet but really it's what Toyota used so the motor wouldn't feel like it's bogged down.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:58 AM

If you really want more power stop spending money on the 22RE right now. Start reading up on engine swaps and either do a 3.4, a 4.3, or a V8 swap. In the end you'll have the same money tied up in it but you'll actually have something that will move.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by abecedarian
4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
If you would stick OEM we would not have this problem now would we. If you are trying to gain more power through exhaust then get a header gut the cat or straight pipe or get a new one. Flowmaster muffler? Tune-up?
this is the exhaust that was on it when i got it- it might be stock but the muffler appears to be one that bosal uses- the engine only has 35K miles on it... i could do a header but i think header + cat + straight pipe will been a lil loud and sound like a ricer, not to mention gutting out the cat- as for the tune up its a new engine and i cleaned out the black gunk in the tb and as much as i could in the intake n hosed the bitch down with carb cleaner

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
If you really want more power stop spending money on the 22RE right now. Start reading up on engine swaps and either do a 3.4, a 4.3, or a V8 swap. In the end you'll have the same money tied up in it but you'll actually have something that will move.
as i said i have a camaro and this is a newer engine- i just want something that i can feel comfortable driving with 33s on the highway- im happy with the 31s now but i want to go to 33s without regearing,

so basically my question is how much power do i gatta aid to the 22re to get it to power 33s uphill without downshifting- and will these simple mods get me to that power level?
(NOTE: 31x10.5 weight 43lbs, 33x9.5 weight 42lbs, 33.10.5 weight 47lbs, 33x12.5 weight 52lbs)
OH- and will stock mani-->cat-->straight pipe sounds redic loud? like a ricer? or will it be moderately quiet and have a deeper tone under 3K rpm?----- I HAVE A CAMARO FOR SPEED, LOUDNESS, AND HP please dont say get a V8- i already got one lolol

Last edited by greatskiiiier; 07-21-2009 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:34 AM

In gutting the cat you will find a loss of power. The exhaust gasses get bottlenecked in the cat because it is not a straight through flow.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by KVRunner
In gutting the cat you will find a loss of power. The exhaust gasses get bottlenecked in the cat because it is not a straight through flow.

What about gas milage? My cat is clogged and I'm thinking of just putting a test pipe in it for the time being, I have a dynomax catback so it won't be loud at all, meaning, sound good and no drone at highway speeds.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Banned

im not looking to gut the cat- only replace the muffler with a flex pipe so after my stock cat i have a straight 1.75 inch pipe out the back
Old 07-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
The 22re puts out more than 165 lb/ft at the crank (+180 for pre 85 and ~190 for 85-95) through the stock exhaust.

190ftlbs from a 22re? I don't think so. If so my 3vze must have 250 because it'l eat a 22re for breakfast.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
4.0 I6

this is the exhaust that was on it when i got it- it might be stock but the muffler appears to be one that bosal uses- the engine only has 35K miles on it... i could do a header but i think header + cat + straight pipe will been a lil loud and sound like a ricer, not to mention gutting out the cat- as for the tune up its a new engine and i cleaned out the black gunk in the tb and as much as i could in the intake n hosed the bitch down with carb cleaner
I'll tell you what my truck has. My truck has an after market 4 to 1 header with a cat but a gutted one and a flowmaster muffler and it still sounds stock and is as quiet as a kitten except for a lil valve noise. Your not going to get a super power truck with the 22r its just a 4cyl truck motor designed for towing, and 4wheeling. Its more touqey than hp. Its not going to ever go fast. It is meant to be reliable, durable, and have bookoo longevity. Get over it. deal with it.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
I'll tell you what my truck has. My truck has an after market 4 to 1 header with a cat but a gutted one and a flowmaster muffler and it still sounds stock and is as quiet as a kitten except for a lil valve noise. Your not going to get a super power truck with the 22r its just a 4cyl truck motor designed for towing, and 4wheeling. Its more touqey than hp. Its not going to ever go fast. It is meant to be reliable, durable, and have bookoo longevity. Get over it. deal with it.
i dont want to sound like an @$$h_le here, but dont respond to my threads anymore- and if you do, READ THE WHOLE FREAKIN THING

i appriciate saying the first half of that though, know i feel comfortable with the straight pipe after the cat- i dont give a about hp on a truck- all i want is torque to power uphill and to power 33s
Old 07-22-2009, 01:04 AM

If you really want to throw some money at it and see for yourself, here is EB on the subject with some good advice on the 22RE.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...5&o=14&fpart=1

That said, I have a performance head with a Stage 2 Crane cam, oversized SS valves and RV springs that's milled to raise compression too, and an exhaust with no cat with 2" pipe to a Magnaflow performance muffler, then a 2.25" exit. Nothing overboard but some good solid modifications. To put it in a way you can understand, you know how your truck runs good some days and bad others?

Well my truck runs like it's having a good day all the time even when it's not. If it had 119 when it was stock, I'd guess it's in the 125-130 range now. Nothing major, and at the end of the day it's still feels like a 4 cylinder 22RE engine. There is nothing you can do to it to make noticeable power gains outside of a turbo or supercharger and if you're going to drop that kind of coin you'd be better off with a V8.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:07 AM

By the way, anyone that tells you the removing a cat or going to a free flow exhaust robs power is blowing smoke. Lowering backpressure can move your peak around in the rpm band (usually up) and change torque curves, but the peak will go up. Mine is a little softer on the bottom due to the cam and exhaust but it rips up top. If I'm offroad I'm in mud or sand or climbing hills which can all be done nicely in the upper rpms so my truck is perfectly happy the way it is.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:53 AM
Banned

as i stated- i dont want to throw money at it- i just want to gain enough power to run 33s without having to downshift all the time and without having to regear

and as for "in a way you can understand" ive built my fair share of cars lol, this just happens to be my first 4cyl so idk how much power gains certain mod yield
Old 07-22-2009, 05:37 AM

Realistically, regearing may be your cheapest, most effective option...
Old 07-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
the 22re aint a powerhouse. Aint no other way to dumb it down. You are NOT gonna be able to get much power from it without dropping alot of coin. re-gearing is your best option.

Since you don't want to re-gear (what do we know?) swap the motor.

Quick Reply: no muffler?