86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newbie messed up throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie messed up throttle body

I had to do an engine swap on my 89 4x4 pickup with the 22re. it had been bored once by the previous owner and when a ring broke and gouged the cylinder wall i decided to go with a long block. to long of a story to tell on that part. I am not really a mechanic but do what i have to do with a limited budget. I have the new engine in and started sounds great but the throttle only opens a quarter of the way. it seems that the cable for the throttle kick down to the automatic transmission isn't long enough. I am not sure if i have it on wrong or what. it seems like it can only go one way. the throttle cable from the gas pedal will pull it wide open but when the kick down cable is put on the throttle body it won't rotate far enough for it to open. i didn't mess with that when i had it off so i can't see why it would need adjusting. plus it needs an inch or two and i am sure not going to gain that from adjusting the nuts i don't think. I did have the tranny pan off to change the filter. I didn't touch anything other than the filter. my friend thinks i ruined it and shouldn't have ever dropped the pan. but i figure that is just routine maintance. the cable is still connected in the transmission and it looks like that cam is fully rotated and lined up right for the cable to come out of the transmission housing. Is there anything i might have done to mess this up? any ideas on how to fix would be great. I am frustrated and ready to be able to drive my rig again. after all archery season is here.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:42 PM

update

upon further inspection it looks like the cam in the transmission needs to rotate another 180 degrees. Talked to a transmission shop and they said the cam is a controlled by a pressure control valve. I don't know if this helps anyone diagnose the problem. the truck did sit for close to 2 years before the engine swap. The throttle opened fine before and since i haven't done anything to it i am not sure why it would not work now. Still looking for help.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
taking some pics would help, i dont have an auto so i have no idea, some 1 els might chime in tho
Old 09-10-2009, 03:01 PM

here are a couple of pictures. one is of the cam in the transmission that still needs to rotate. one shows the quarter open throttle that is all i can get when pushing the gas. the last shows how far the throttle body will rotate with the kick down cable hooked up. hope this helps. I also wonder if the pressure switch would not work if i had to much fluid in the transmission. my buddy who checked when we added the new fluid said we were at the top of the hot mark when we got back from driving it about a quarter mile or so. would to much fluid and high pressure lead to this not working? and if so should i be able to put the pan back and refill to the cold level while running and have it work. I am just racking my brain trying to come up with what it might be.Newbie messed up throttle body-006.jpg

Newbie messed up throttle body-007.jpg

Newbie messed up throttle body-011.jpg
Old 09-10-2009, 04:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you disconnect the detent cable (to the trans) can you cause the throttle to open fully with the accelerator pedal?
Old 09-10-2009, 04:18 PM

yes the throttle will open all the way with the transmission cable removed when you push the gas pedal.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Then it would seem that the cable to the trans, or the trans itself, is the problem, limiting the throttle movement. I can't imagine why disconnecting the cable would cause the cam in the transmission to flip though....
For the moment, I'm at a loss.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:42 PM

i am having this exact problem, cable was unhooked when I bought it. if I hook it up, it won't open all the way. any more input? anyone with an auto want to take a pic of there linkage at the top?
Old 10-20-2009, 04:12 PM

nobody??