Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New truck.. Old problems.. help. **PIC**

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New truck.. Old problems.. help. **PIC**

So I just had a long post ready to go only to accidentally click the X. wuodghfo84t hbvlkuyfgaouytp 13897gyqp

OOOK,

So I got this truck a few days ago. CEL was on, but a compression check cleared the internals.

The day after I got it I took it to schwab for an alignment cause the steering was way off. While it was on the rack they showed me how loose everything was. New tie rods, idler arm, and pitman arm later, good to go.

The day after that i took it to autozone to see what codes it is throwing. 12, 13, 71. I pulled the negative terminal to clear them out and see what comes up now. Code 71 is an EGR problem, I'm going to take the valve that sits right under the intake manifold off and clean it up inside, hopefully that will help. I'm really confused about codes 12 and 13. According to the book at autozone, code 13 seemed like a more detailed code 12. So I suspect the same problem might be causing both codes.

Lastly, I picked up new blinker bulbs assuming that the front passenger bulb was out, but I put the new bulb in and it's still not working. I swapped the socket from the working driver's side and still nada. Do the L and R blinkers share the same flasher? Is it possible for one bulb to not work and have it NOT be a cut wire or something. I quick inspection didnt reveal anything wrong with the wiring.

It idles high, and sometimes the idle surges, but not often.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:12 PM

I assume you have the 3vze 6cyl? If so, I have the same truck. (Yours has better paint and less rust though.)

I would start with what you know;Your egr problem. There is a right way and a wrong way to do things, and in this case I would start with the cheap (and wrong) way. Grab a can of Seafoam from your favorite auto parts store and feed 1/4 of it into your gas tank, 1/4 into your crank case, and 1/2 into your vacuum line coming off your power brake booster. (follow the directions on the can if they are different than mine) It may or may not solve your problem, but at least your system will be cleaned out. Change your oil when you are done. With any luck, that will hopefully clean out your gunked up egr. If not, do it the right way and replace the egr and clean out the carbon as best you can.
The code 12 (and probably 13) are related to idle, and therefore are probably related to your egr also.

As far as your wiring issue, I think you have a bad wire. Chase it with a volt/ohm meter, or take it to a shop and let them do it. I hate chasing wires, so I would farm it out to a shop.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:04 PM

Nope its a 22re.

I didnt realize that the EGR system affected idle. I hope it fixes all 3 codes that would be awesome. I sucked up about 1/4 of a can of seafoam (what i had left) in the intake, didn't smoke nearly as much as other vehicles i've done.

I was thinking bad wire too, I was hoping for a easier solution though ha

Last edited by DSMstar; 11-07-2011 at 06:08 PM.