Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

new TPS on the way anything else i can look at?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new TPS on the way anything else i can look at?

I just bought this truck a week ago and am quickly fixing all the bandaids the PO put on it since I am starting an electrical contracting business and its going to be my service truck. I tested the TPS and it did not have any of the right resistance on any of the channels and a couple times, I could not get the same readings, so I unplugged it and ordered a new one. Where I live, everything for this truck has to b ordered, so while it is on the way. What else can I look at it troubleshoot?

I have an 87 4runner 4 banger efi. My original issue was that I could not get the correct timing and after fixing numerous wiring issues, and plugging the TPS in, I was able to get the timing set. I thought the TPS worked because when I plugged it in, the idle kicked down about 200 rpm. I installed the jumper, set the timing, uninstalled the jumper and started to go on a test drive. When I give it some throttle it surges and will not go over 1800 rpm, when I hit the clutch, it surges also, but won't go over 1200 rpm. That's when I tested the TPS and found the IDL-E2 never opens up and I never got more than about 200 ohms out of it. VCC-E2 was only good at WOT and same for VTA-E2. So I'm assuming that's telling the ECU its always idling no matter what the position of the throttle. I also got the codes off it and am getting an o2 sensor code (just replaced 4 days ago), an rpm sensor code and the TPS code (5,6 and 7 I believe).

Where is the rpm sensor?
Can I test it with a bad TPS?
Would running without the TPS plugged in cause the other 2 codes?

I know I have been kind of bombarding u guys with questions but I got myself into a bit of a bind with this truck and now I'm on a pretty strict time frame.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:31 PM

Take out the #1 spark plug and put the engine TDC. Then take off the distributor cover and make sure pointing in correct position. I believe around 11:00. Could have been installed wrong or off by a tooth.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the rpm signal i believe is created by the pickup coil in the distributor. the only test i know of is an air-gap check between the pickup coil and that funky star-shaped rotor thing on the dist shaft.

the 02 sensor code could be from when it was bad. i would clear it by pulling the efi fuse, not relay, for a few minutes and putting it back in. check for codes to verify that there are none. drive around and see what comes up before proceeding any further
Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 PM

The distributor can't be off a tooth. I already have the timing set.

how do I do an "air gap" test? I've never heard of it.

92dlxman you live in Visalia? I was born and raised in visa man and my bro and I are moving back in a couple months. Small world. Lol.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:04 PM

Ok. I pulled the fuse for a couple mins and now I'm getting 7 and 11. Both TPS codes. So I think the new one will fix it. Thanks, I didn't know the ECU needed to be manually reset after I started fixing things.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude, thats awesome man! i went to school in exeter (then kicked out to redwood senior year lol) but lived in visalia most my life. theres a few 559 guys on here. small world no doubt. that trucks gunna make a sweet contractors rig! I always dreamed of having a trail-blazer or pipe-pro welder in the back of my 92 but decided i would have to do all driving in 4-lo to haul it lol

the air gap check is just a verifying .008"-.016" between signal rotor and pickup coil. Also found a resistance check of 140-180 ohms for your truck. good luck
Old 02-16-2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by goobertech
I just bought this truck a week ago and am quickly fixing all the bandaids the PO put on it since I am starting an electrical contracting business and its going to be my service truck. I tested the TPS and it did not have any of the right resistance on any of the channels and a couple times, I could not get the same readings, so I unplugged it and ordered a new one. Where I live, everything for this truck has to b ordered, so while it is on the way. What else can I look at it troubleshoot?

I have an 87 4runner 4 banger efi. My original issue was that I could not get the correct timing and after fixing numerous wiring issues, and plugging the TPS in, I was able to get the timing set. I thought the TPS worked because when I plugged it in, the idle kicked down about 200 rpm. I installed the jumper, set the timing, uninstalled the jumper and started to go on a test drive. When I give it some throttle it surges and will not go over 1800 rpm, when I hit the clutch, it surges also, but won't go over 1200 rpm. That's when I tested the TPS and found the IDL-E2 never opens up and I never got more than about 200 ohms out of it. VCC-E2 was only good at WOT and same for VTA-E2. So I'm assuming that's telling the ECU its always idling no matter what the position of the throttle. I also got the codes off it and am getting an o2 sensor code (just replaced 4 days ago), an rpm sensor code and the TPS code (5,6 and 7 I believe).

Where is the rpm sensor?
Can I test it with a bad TPS?
Would running without the TPS plugged in cause the other 2 codes?

I know I have been kind of bombarding u guys with questions but I got myself into a bit of a bind with this truck and now I'm on a pretty strict time frame.
Most of my 22re truck repairs required a tps swap because I was unable to set my timing and doing the TPS ohm test to adjust the TPS from 4crawlers site.So far my trucks are running smooth even though I have high mileage daily driven 22re's.Its a sensitive part of the 22re EFI system.I picked up a pair of TPS from Daves off road for $70each and if I have a chance to get some from a junked throttle bore for free.