Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New shocks to go with bj lift

Old 02-01-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New shocks to go with bj lift

So I'm going to get a bj lift to get more travel out of the ifs I'm wondering what the best shock absorbers I should get since I'm adding travel. Also how should I go about lifting the rear. Add a leaf shackles or something else? What do you guys suggest?

Last edited by 95_n130; 02-01-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:25 PM

Since the articulation is still limited to the stock bump stops (or should be due to the CV axles being the limiting factor in movement) A stock length shock would be perfect. I found recently most manufacturers list their stock length shock as for 0 to 2"s of lift, so really your only problem with needing longer shocks is if you relocate shock mounting points, or use a bracket lift...or far stretch if your running a aftermarket IFS system that modifies the stop points either up or down...but if that was the case im pretty sure the specs on the shocks would be very easy to reference from the manufacturer.

For the rear folks have been adding coil springs on top their leaf packs called the zuk mod or something like that. Another popular one is OME leaf springs. A third would be sourcing 63" chevy springs, but ive heard from a few sources that depending on the truck model/year you run the risk of a spring much to stiff for a yota truck. Leaf blocks generally are a bad idea from my research. Shackles can be a solid option and some trick ones can offer great articulation and performance.

If your trying to stuff bigger tires your biggest bang for the buck will be modifying your wheel wells slightly all the way around. Im sorry, i re-read your post i think you edited it or I brain farted, thought you already had the BJ spacer installed. Since you dont you might want to do some research on the forums about the pros and cons, as well as installation tips/does and dont. The BJ spacers don't actually increase articulation technically

Last edited by jeremyt; 02-01-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:01 AM

So after thinking about my post I have to amend the previous post to cover the glaring omission that the BJ spacer will give you more droop if you install it and do not adjust the drop stop, but you will likely be taking the CV axle beyond its woking limits if you do so. Folks space the drop stop with shims/spacers to keep the CV within working angles that it can not implode on the trail. This dude named Nate did this extensive write up about different stuff that happens with different suspension changes as well as a chart that included effective wheel travel. He sells LT kits so he has at least one mock up toyota front end jig thing that he installs all these parts combinations on and measures the up down yadda yadda math. Anywho, search it, its a long but good read. I think if you search blazeland and maybe test or measurements. I dont know, fiddle with it. You might find yourself with a completely different plan for the front end of your truck after reading it. He also shows with ictures and labels and stuff the right way to cut/weld the upper control arm to fit a BJ spacer.

Last edited by jeremyt; 02-02-2016 at 02:04 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
In regards to the above posts, yes if you add BJ spacers you aren't technically going to see increased articulation. BlazeN8 did a good writeup regarding the operating angles of each of the IFS parts - so basically if you try to droop more than the bump stops allow, you're not reaching the limit of the CV or the Ball Joint, not sure which it was but neither which you want to compromise by going to their max.

When I did BJ spacers on my truck it wasn't necessarily for the height or perceived gains in articulation - it was so that I could relax my t-bars preload and make articulation up front easier, thus less 3-wheeling and my tires stay planted so I can go forward. OME shocks that I have are listed for 0-2" lift. I haven't noticed them limiting up or down on the front. On the rear they limited down-travel, so I triangulated them when I did a u-bolt flip.