Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

new member old yota

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new member old yota

Hey guys.. long time vistitor here and finally decided to sign up. Ive done so much reaeing on here and learned a whole lot. Im a proud owner of a 89 single cab 4x4 with 270000 miles on a strong running 22re. The first vehicle i ever drove was an 88 on 35s that my uncle had so yotas have always been cool to me. He now has a 86 with the factory turbo and its pretty dang cool. I purchased mine in 2010 to use to save gas driving back and forth to college. Ive got a pretty decent off roading back ground. Ive helped my buddies build a few cherokees and my 2000 z71 is a riding high but ive always wanted to make my yota more trail capable.. not that it does bad as she sits. I plan on doing a build up thread and i have an idea already of what i want. Here in a week or 2 im going to install a 3 inch body lift and 33s and finish my bed armor paint job. Then im gonna do something with the suspension. Any and all recommendations would be welcome. I want to keep this a daily driver and a weekend trail/ hunting truck. Thanks for all the info you guys put out!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:01 AM

Why do you need a suspension lift and a body lift??? If all you want to clear is the 33s seems silly do both.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by julsruls
Why do you need a suspension lift and a body lift??? If all you want to clear is the 33s seems silly do both.
I dont necessarily want to lift it higher just beef it up with better components... shocks and such... unless there us a better way than the bodly lift to fit 33's... not looking to spend over 500 for a lift. Ive thought about the chevy spring swap.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Toyotalet
I dont necessarily want to lift it higher just beef it up with better components... shocks and such... unless there us a better way than the bodly lift to fit 33's... not looking to spend over 500 for a lift. Ive thought about the chevy spring swap.
A body lift, especially a 3" one, would be doing the opposite of "beefing it up". Body lifts, in general, ar frowned upon, but they do have their benefits. I'm thinking about installing a 1" or 1.5" body lift just for clearancing purposes. It'll make it easier to work on stuff (like getting top bolts off of the transmission bellhousing) if need be. I'd never go above 1.5" though. The best way to lift it is to get a set of ball joint spacers for the front and either new springs, add a leafs, or longer shackles for the rear. You don't need any lift to fit 33s. Just trim where it rubs. There are a few guys around here that have 35s with no lift. Search around on here and you'll find a whole bunch of information.

This is the kit I have on the front of mine:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-IFS-Pickup-4Runner-2-5-Front-Lift-Kit-4WD-/270441652053?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1993%7CMake%3AToyota&hash=item3ef7941f55&vxp=mtr#ht_2789wt_1091
It comes with the bj spacers, diff drop (definitely recommended), and sway bar drop (that's if you want to keep your sway bar). This whole kit is much less than what most other companies charge for just the bj spacers. This kit claims 2.5" of lift. What they tell you in the fine print is that the 2.5" lift is after torsion bar adjustment, which I do NOT recommend. It is only 1.5" of lift. For the rear, I just made longer shackles. Very simple.

$80 for the kit above.
$50 (if I remember right) for shackle hardware from Marlin Crawler
$15 for metal stock for the shackles
$140 in shocks from ebay

So a total of $285 roughly for the lift.

The chevy spring swap is very popular and will net you between 3-4" of lift in the rear. However, you'd have to find a way to lift the front to match. Most 4" lift kits are expensive.

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 09-18-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:22 AM

Sawzall and mini sledge will fit them hahaha but a 3" body lift will fit them, or forget the body lift and swap some good springs in out back and go long travel up front or ball joint spacers. Blazeland makes a couple long travel kits but they're kinda pricey.

Last edited by dswag; 09-18-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by dswag
Sawzall and mini sledge will fit them hahaha but a 3" body lift will fit them, or forget the body lift and swap some good springs in out back and go long travel up front or ball joint spacers. Blazeland makes a couple long travel kits but they're kinda pricey.
Pull the front clip and bed and you could probably fit 40s no lift. Frugal mans monster truck
Old 09-18-2013, 10:34 AM

If he wants to keep it under $500, Blazeland is definitely out
Old 09-18-2013, 10:36 AM

Do like this guy
Old 09-18-2013, 10:41 AM

go junkyards. might find a suspension lift in there for cheap. maybe make a hybrid pack in the rear
Old 09-18-2013, 10:41 AM

^ hahaha wow...... But ya with a $500 budget long travel is def out. 93 xtra cab seems to have it figured out down to the specifics
Old 09-18-2013, 10:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I'll throw in my recommendation FOR a body lift. The cases of a body lift failing are rare. They get a bad rep from poor installation, or subpar hardware. They are a GREAT way to lift your rig for the purpose of fitting slightly larger tires. The don't raise the COG as much as a full suspension lift, they are cheap, and done even halfway right they are safe. Now, a 3" body lift looks fugly, but a 1.5" or even 2" lift works great. It makes under the truck maintenance much easier to boot.

Now, I have fit 33x12.5s on a bone stock 4runner with slightly offset wheels (3.75") and a hammered pinch weld. I love the feel of low lift/big tire combo. So technically you don't need a lift to fit your 33s.

Save your money to put in on some good shocks and armor, think rock sliders.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:56 PM

^ hahaha wow...... But ya with a $500 budget long travel is def out. 93 xtra cab seems to have it figured out down to the specifics
What can I say? I'm a numbers guy
Old 09-18-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
Well, I'll throw in my recommendation FOR a body lift. The cases of a body lift failing are rare. They get a bad rep from poor installation, or subpar hardware. They are a GREAT way to lift your rig for the purpose of fitting slightly larger tires. The don't raise the COG as much as a full suspension lift, they are cheap, and done even halfway right they are safe. Now, a 3" body lift looks fugly, but a 1.5" or even 2" lift works great. It makes under the truck maintenance much easier to boot.

Now, I have fit 33x12.5s on a bone stock 4runner with slightly offset wheels (3.75") and a hammered pinch weld. I love the feel of low lift/big tire combo. So technically you don't need a lift to fit your 33s.

Save your money to put in on some good shocks and armor, think rock sliders.
You have a good point about the poor installation. However, even properly installed, a 3" body lift is something I wouldn't chance, but that's just me. Another thing that you mentioned that I totally forgot about was how a body lift looks. Just seeing the frame hanging down and all the visible gaps after doing a body lift, especially 2" or above, looks cheezy. Also, it seems that a lot of people never re-align their bumpers, which really gets on my nerves

Your last comment is the best in this thread so far. Stock size tires and armor will get you further than larger tires and no armor. Same goes for gearing/lockers.

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 09-18-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:00 PM

Whoops! Double post

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 09-18-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:02 PM

Well, I'm by no means a fan of a body lift, but for the money im wanting to spend it seems perfect. Will a smaller one fit 33's? I would also install it correctly, align my bumpers Etc. I may just save a little more and go suspension. Also Im a machinist by trade and have full access to a machine/welding shop and some free metal. So bumpers and armor will be in the future. Thanks guys
Old 09-18-2013, 05:06 PM

Ive been places in my yota that my friends 89 k5 on 37s has been stuck... Im not looking or a huge lifted truck, my chevy has that covered
Old 09-18-2013, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Toyotalet
. Im not looking or a huge lifted truck, my chevy has that covered
Chevys never have it covered...

Last edited by Stetson_md; 09-18-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:50 PM

I've given my Chevy hell lol.. I has hauled so many trailer fulls of hay its not even funny... But its more of a mud truck .. not built for the tight winding trails
Old 10-31-2013, 12:34 PM

since your a machinest you might want to try making your own suspension lift. seen it done before but I don't remember how. truck is still stalking the gulches on hunting season so if done right then theres a viable option. the guy is actually starting a new project im going to try to scavenge from, I can ask him the particulars if you want