Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New Member hello and questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member hello and questions

Greetings from central AZ. I'm the brand new owner of a physically clean and straight 93 4x4 base model. 22RE 5 spd. It's real pretty and quite straight, owned for 15 years by a Marine who didn't romp it. No rust. The top end of the motor was redone with a new head, valves etc. about 15K miles ago. Clutch, cooling system etc. are all new. Working ODO reads 226K.
I owned an 86 long ago and this seems to be pretty much the same vehicle. I loved that truck but it had an automatic and when the trans. started to go I couldn't find any reasonable way to get it fixed, so I sold it.
This truck came to me as payment for money the owner owed me and I decided to take it feeling like it was in great running shape. I'm not in a position right now to spend a lot of money on it but would like to troubleshoot it's issue before deciding whether to fix and keep it or turn it back onto the market. These trucks are as scarce as hen's teeth around here and when you find them they've often been abused or modded till the $$ runs out. They're also crazy expensive. I figure I won't have any problem getting my money out of it but it's a nice rig and if I can I'll keep it. I can turn a wrench but am not a mechanic. Here's what it's doing:
Starts and idles up easily when cold, kicks down nicely when it warms up. A bit of black smoke at startup.
When warm, runs well but if I hit the gas a bit hard, as when going up a small rise in any gear, it'll stumble a puff the black smoke until I back off the gas, then run fine.
After a brief stop, say to run in the store for a 6 pack and back out, it's hard to start, acts almost like a flooded vehicle with a carburetor. After lots of cranking with no gas pedal it'll start and run fine.
I know these aren't gas misers but if the gas guage is correct I have the feeling it's using excess fuel, although I haven't driven it enough to know for sure.
I'm reading how to pull it's codes and am going to start there. I don't have a mechanic close by, we're in the boonies here. The CEL works, but isn't on except when I turn the key.
Any thoughts? And thanks in advance for this site!

Songdog
Old 10-09-2011, 10:57 AM

Oops, forgot the pics! They are pre-wax. The paint polished out pretty well.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to Yotatech.
That's a nice looking truck. Good luck with getting it in tip top shape.

If you haven't already found it here is my favorite online service manual and it's specifically for a '93. I like it better because it is indexed and you don't have to scroll through hundreds of pages to get to the section you want. There is a troubleshooting section under engine that might give you some ideas of where to look. Sounds like you're already on the right track.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

Also if you haven't seen it yet, there is a specific AZ section here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f66/
...and in that section is a thread named Arizona Roll Call that has kinda become the defacto BS/for sale/trip planning/who wants to help out thread.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:06 PM

great info, thank you!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:29 PM

Welcome to YT, by the looks of the toy and what you described that it is worth fixing, I bet its running rich, check all the spark plugs I bet there all black from soot, but won't know till you pull and check them, Let us know what you find out :}
Old 10-09-2011, 03:04 PM

It seems to be running rich to me. Tomorrow I'll pull plugs and look. Maybe post pics. I've been driving diesel so long I forget what fouled plugs look like!
Old 10-09-2011, 03:04 PM

Where is lean/rich modulated on an EFI motor?
Old 10-09-2011, 03:25 PM

Well, I just jumped the diagnostic port and it gave me a 22 code. Assuming I'm doing this right, that's the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. Does that make any sense given my symptoms? It only seems to stumble once it's warmed up. If the sensor is bad, could that be the cause of too much gas being sent to the cylinders once it's warm? I'm really shooting in the dark here, but it kinda makes sense.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the ecm is not receiving info on the engine temp it will over fuel or under fuel the engine.There will be a temp sender for the ecm and one for the gauge ,they should be close to the thermostat housing. Get the engine warm and unplug one of the sending units ,if the gauge stops working it will be the other one. It would be a good idea to inspect the wiring and plug for breaks or corrosion.
there are also factory service manuals listed on here to help test the sending unit .

Last edited by swampfox; 10-09-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by songdog
Well, I just jumped the diagnostic port and it gave me a 22 code. Assuming I'm doing this right, that's the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. Does that make any sense given my symptoms? It only seems to stumble once it's warmed up. If the sensor is bad, could that be the cause of too much gas being sent to the cylinders once it's warm? I'm really shooting in the dark here, but it kinda makes sense.
That is one of the possibilties in the troubleshooting chart here:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../3troubles.pdf

Ideas on how to further check it here (pg 131)
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...27troubles.pdf

Good luck.
Mike