86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New to me Rig, 3.0 problems.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me Rig, 3.0 problems.

Ok i traded for a 88 4runner with the 3.0l. Im trying to get ot road worthy but im not familiar with the 3.0. The previous owner said it has a low mileage long block. It has a slight miss, ive checked the pcv and it seems to be fine. I havent checked timing yet (is there a way around jumpering the terminal)? Recommend timing * beside factory? It also has a stumble about 1200rpms then it'll jump about 500 rpms. What's some basic checks?
Old 12-05-2017, 07:54 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Closely inspect the air intake hoses/ assembly. This must be air tight with no leaks or cracks or the truck will miss and stumble. Inspect plug wires, distributor cap/ rotor for wear. Compression test and watch for white smoke out the exhaust and coolant usage. There is a factory service Manuel sticked to the top of this form, read it thoroughly to get a better understanding of how the efi in these trucks functions.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, little update. Engine does not miss when cold, takes it a couple minutes to fully develop, beginning sporatic then eventually consistant. Its a constant chuff thru the exhaust. So far ive replaced plugs w/ngk, cap and rotor, pcv valve cause the original wouldnt completly shut off. Sprayed carb cleaner w/engine running and found no intake/vacuum leaks. Side note. Exhaust does have a leak at muffler. Surel this wont caust this right?