Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New to me 4Runner have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me 4Runner have some questions

Hey everybody, I have been looking around here and reading info off and on for some time. I have wanted a 4Runner for a long time and at one time recently thought it really wasn't for me. Well, yesterday came across what I thought was a pretty good deal in the paper. Here is the low down, 87 SR5, 4cyl 5-speed, 265K, a/c, manual windows/locks. Picked for up for a thousand. Here is a picture for you to check it out.

http://http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pce3ebabfd49f2604cea50b0749935504/ea131de7.jpg

How do you think I did? I am looking for this to be a DD now and for taking me to mountain biking trails, kayaking etc.

Now I have some questions. First, it has rust around the fenders at all four corners. What is the best way to take care of this. I would like to put bushwackers on to cover it up, but I know something needs to be done about the rust itself first.

Second, the exhaust sounds bad, sounds bad from the front all the way to the back, I was reading on here last night and looks light LCE header is favored. But, I hate to have about as much in a header and exhaust as I do for the whole vehicle right off the bat. Is there a lower budget header and exhaust that will be sufficient for my needs.

Third, have any of you put a roof rack on your hard top? I will need some method up strapping a kayak on top. Will the hard top support the mounting and crossbars? Could you then use the roof rack to lift the hard top off and let hang for warm summer days?

Fourth, the guy said he thought it needed an injector replaced. Said he had one replaced a few months ago and then another started acting up. How do I determine which one? Should I replace all four and start fresh? What do you all suggest?

Fifth, ok last one. What do I need to do now as far regular maintenance to be sure everything is covered? It has a recent oil change already.

Thanks a bunch for all the information and sorry for such a long post, just excited and eager I guess. I know I have all ready learned a lot from all of you and will continue to soak up this stuff.

Thanks!

Chris
Old 04-03-2007, 06:30 AM

When I got my runner the exhaust after the cat fell off coming back from Moab. I took it to a local exhaust shop that does mandrel bends and he did a really nice 2.25" cat back with a magnaflow muffler for around 300. It sounds good and really woke the truck up, way more power.

If you want to do a header I would do a thorley over the LCE as it 4-2-1 design and maintains more low end torque. The stock manifold is pretty good to IMO.

If you don't know when the timing chain was last done, you might consider replacing that right away and send in your injectors to be cleaned and reworked at the same time.

I need to fix rust in the same areas myself, that will be a summer project when I get the time.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:09 AM

i like...keep it looking good.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:14 AM

looks like you got a good deal. if your intent is a cheap dd, then dont dump money into a header. if the exhaust sounds bad, then get a shop to slap a new one on and keep the OE manifold like Compressed said.

again, to be cheap, dont fool around with the injectors unless you know you need to. with 256 on the engine, you might be looking at rebuilding sometime soon, might as well save up for that instead.

if you arent looking to be so cheap, the LCE header and cat back is a good one and I'm sure thorley is too. LCE does the flow matched injectors too.

for rust, dig it all out and coat with some kind of rust inhibitor.

for maintenance, search 4x4wire.com for the 30,000 mile maintenance article, it will spell out the most critical items for you. have fun!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:41 AM

Thanks for info. Is it worth it to buy an exhaust system from LCE or another brand and put it on myself versus having a local shop put one in? If I decide to get a header later on would I have trouble installing with a different exhaust?

The more I drive it the more I am concerned about a couple things. The previous owner mentioned an injector having some trouble? What would the symptoms be of this? When on the gas under acceleration starting out the vehicle shudders and seems really rough. I am wondering if this is what is going on? Makes me also wonder if it is not a motor mount or something. It smooths out when up to speed, but is rougher when on the gas versus when coasting. Any ideas?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I would just get the shop to but the muffler on. If you have a bender yourself and know how to weld it wouldnt be so bad, but they are normally not that expensive anyways. I am getting one put on tomorrow(flowmaster) and a tight down tube ahead of the rear axle for around 140.00 it would be a little more expensive to go all the way back but not by much. And if you bought the muffler alone it would cost pretty close to the same thing. At least here in south texas. Me personally I'd let the shop do it. Its worth it to me to pay to have someone do it that does it for a living, I've only replaced one muffler myself and it was a hassle. I vote shop.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:02 PM

timing chain, head gasket, water pump Shuttering could be from the valvetrain, poor compression