86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New head doesn't match my 87' 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New head doesn't match my 87' 22RE

First off, new to YotaTech, want to say hi and glad to be here!!!!!

OK.
replacing timing chain and head, ordered new head from J&C Enterprises. Went to install new head and couldn't torque down, pistons hitting head. The pistons are dome-shaped, starting to sound like its an engine that was originally turbo. I don't know the history of this vehicle. But there is a bunch of s%$t in the engine compartment that isn't being used, and the manifold is not original.

Pretty sure the exhaust ports are pear-shaped on the old head (shipped the core out yesterday, don't have it for reference til next week).

So......pear-shaped exhaust ports and domed pistons.

Any thoughts.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:50 AM

heres a link that may help http://lcengineering.com/TechNotes/TechNote49.htm
Old 06-20-2007, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the link. I'm really starting to think its a 22RT-E, sans turbo. That could explain why the engine is so gutless. I'm probably running an engine that was designed to have turbo.....without turbo. I did some reading about the different 20R series engines and the only one with "dished" pistons is the turbo.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think it's a turbo. The turbo block is easiliy ID'd by having an oil feed on the drivers side rear and an oil drain about mid way, bottom of the block, drivers side.

22RE with 22RTE pistons? Unlikely. The 22RTE pistons are designed to lower the compression over the 22RE pistons. That is, they're not going to have as much area.. Here's a photo of 22RTE pistons - they're basically flat. You'd be less likely to hit with 22RTE pistons.

http://lakebox.dnsalias.com/photos/1...n/DSC05243.JPG

If I recall right the 22R/22RE pistons have "crown" on them.
Can you post a photo of the pistons you've got? I assume they're sticking up from the block somewhat?
Old 06-20-2007, 11:39 AM

Those are the ones! Those are my pistons.

Thanks for the info. No pics, it's at my mechanics house and I'm hard at work here, obviously. But i'm pretty sure that's what my pistons look like.

All I know is that I ordered a 22RE head, and the pistons I have are hitting the head before it can be torqued down.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:41 AM

Correction:

My mechanic said the pistons are sort-of dome shaped and look like the bottom of a pop-can. WTF??
Old 06-20-2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by kcrunner
Correction:

My mechanic said the pistons are sort-of dome shaped and look like the bottom of a pop-can. WTF??
All right, I'm getting tired of adding to my own post but.....
mechanic said the pistons looked like they have a "pop-up ring" in the center of the piston. That tells me that it's a turbo, going off of the above pics.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:03 PM

All right, I'm getting tired of adding to my own post but.....
mechanic said the pistons looked like they have a "pop-up ring" in the center of the piston. That tells me that it's a turbo, going off of the above pics.

The center of the turbo pistons isn't raised.
Have your mechanic check the deck height. I wonder if they screwed up and sent you the shorter block with early pistons...
Old 06-20-2007, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
The center of the turbo pistons isn't raised.
Have your mechanic check the deck height. I wonder if they screwed up and sent you the shorter block with early pistons...

I'll do that. Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated!!
Old 06-20-2007, 03:25 PM

heres a pic of a 87 22re

Old 06-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
couldnt you check your vin to see if your truck came with the 22re turbo?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Neither turbo pistons nor a turbo block will cause this problem.
The 22RTE block and 22RE head can be used together.. Well, assuming you've got a turbo... :-)
Old 06-20-2007, 06:51 PM

Didn't the early 22Rs come with different pistons to accommodate the taller deck height?

Was your timing chain single or dual row? It's sounding like you have an early 22R block in there.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by stock87
Didn't the early 22Rs come with different pistons to accommodate the taller deck height?

Was your timing chain single or dual row? It's sounding like you have an early 22R block in there.
I don't know if it was to accomodate the deck height but yes, the pre laser blocks came with domed pistons. If the block is from a pre 1985 truck, then it is the wrong block. 85 and up had the non domed pistons, shorter deck height on the block and a different head. You can identify the laser block by looking for a bossed shape on the lower drivers side of the block. It looks sort of like a circle with two smaller circles attached to make an out of shape oval. Sort of like this oOo but all connected.

I took me a bit but here is a link to identify the blocks.

http://www.lcengineering.com/TechNotes/TechNote49.htm
Old 06-21-2007, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Wouldn't help to check VIN number, I'm pretty sure this is not the original engine. There are things under the hood that just don't make sense, even to Toyota mechanics. I'm finding male and female plugs on the end of a few hoses that don't have mates. In other words, they used to have SOME purpose, but there not being used now. The manifold is not what you would typically find on a 22re, b/c I took it to the Toyota dealership and they couldn't tell where the manifold came from.

It looks like someone who owned the truck in the past installed a new engine, but thought there weren't any 22re's available (they must have lived in Afghanistan..no wait, the Hi-Lux is the official truck of the Taliban). So I'm thinking that there must have been a 22rte laying around w/o the turbo and they stuck it in.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by stock87

Single row timing chain, so it's not an eearly 22R.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
Neither turbo pistons nor a turbo block will cause this problem.
The 22RTE block and 22RE head can be used together.. Well, assuming you've got a turbo... :-)
Well, I ordered a 22re head and it will not fit my block. So if that's the case, maybe the vendor screwed up?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:05 AM

Well, I ordered a 22re head and it will not fit my block. So if that's the case, maybe the vendor screwed up?
Tell you what, post up some photos and we'll be able to tell you what's going on. You mentioined that you simply replaced the head, the lower end stayed the same - so I got off track there for a second by suggesting that it was a piston issue...

I'm wondering if you have a pre-1985 block....

Take a few photos of the block deck with pistons in it and the head.. Post 'em.. We'll have it figured out in no time. That's the easiest way to help you...

Here are a few more photos that might help if you don't want to post pictures.. notice the differences in combustion chamber:

1) 22R head - goes with an early block:

2) 22R Piston in the block.. ignore the ring debris:

3) 22RE head:

Old 06-21-2007, 12:49 PM

yeah, that's the same head the vendor sent me. So it may be a pre-1985 Block. I'll find out next week when the vendor receives my old head(core) that I sent to him. From there, he can take a look at it and tell me what I have.

Thanks guys.

I'll update after I get some info.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

We had a truck with one of those "low mile Japanese" engines in it. It was a 21R. Whole different puppy.

Quick Reply: New head doesn't match my 87' 22RE