Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New front bumper!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
New front bumper!

Finally! I got my front bumper built this week. Its a marlin base and a few things where tweaked to my liking (including the smaller stinger )

I need to get me some yellow fogs and a damn winch!!

Woot! Im pretty happy on how it turned out Time to hit some stuff

I still need to re-wire my hellas (the wiring is no longer tucked, looks bad), need to paint the turn signal bodys black, and I need to paint the blue body behind the bumper black

Gonna get a friend to add some black diamond plate to the top when I get my winch!

On a side note, I got nowhere to mount my licence plate! I have it inside my dash right now but it rattles when the sterio is on. Ideas?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:40 PM
pwd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kind of a lame comment, but I think it suits your truck very well! As for the licence plate, could you get a basic bracket fabbed to bolt on the frame just infront of the rad? You may be able to do it with just some mending plates or something from a hardware store, thats what I used on my mudflaps.

P.S. The things you mentioned on your to-do list will make it look A+.

Last edited by pwd; 02-06-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you make the stinger or did they do it for you??
how was marlin with shipping to canada it went smooth??
i was gonna order a bumper from scotty at addicted but duty and exchange just isnt in our favour right now!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks

I forgot to mention, I plan on putting the yellow fogs beside the 2" receiver. In the middle of that support tube. They will be mounted upside down so I can use them on the road when it rains..

I really wanted to keep the rad space open to allow for better cooling. But I might have to put my plate in that general area. I was thinking of bolting the bottom to the skid plate mount then bending the plate up and over the frame....
Old 02-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bigt
did you make the stinger or did they do it for you??
how was marlin with shipping to canada it went smooth??
i was gonna order a bumper from scotty at addicted but duty and exchange just isnt in our favour right now!
I got the bumper from Big country customs. They are the only local offroad store/fab shop that imports Marlin gear. They use the base marlin bumper then add what the customer wants. I got them to add the smaller stinger and kickouts. I didn't want one as big as the trail-gear style. This one pokes up over my hood from inside, I love it

They also obviously welded the extension brackets on to fit my 3" body lift

The bumper is pricey though. Too bad our dollar is back down to .80 on the us dollar
Old 02-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
well damnit jay, you're always one step ahead...

I liked the way it looked before with the stock bumper and the light bar, so for a long time I was gunna do the exact same thing

then recently I changed my mind and am going to get a MC bumper front and rear, and now you've beat'n me to it! lol

That really freak'n nice look'n man, great purchase!

How did you mount the Hella's, I didn't think the bumper has tabs on it already?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
well damnit jay, you're always one step ahead...

I liked the way it looked before with the stock bumper and the light bar, so for a long time I was gunna do the exact same thing

then recently I changed my mind and am going to get a MC bumper front and rear, and now you've beat'n me to it! lol

That really freak'n nice look'n man, great purchase!

How did you mount the Hella's, I didn't think the bumper has tabs on it already?

Haha thanks bro! You still got me with your guage pod! Mine is still sitting on my shelf guageless. Im moneyless! lol

You know, I really did like the stock bumper, valance (especially!) and the light bar. But after wheeling the truck, it was evident that it was all show.. The bumper bends pretty easy! And I never could get that stupid light bar to mount up correctly. A few spot welds wouldve done it though.

Good choice in bumpers!

A few tips, Do the recomended weld on the rear bumper like they tell you. I havent and my bed got dented

The front turn signals dont mount to easily. I had to remove the factory clip holding the wiring to the body... Very tight!

I had them weld on light tabs for my hellas I forgot to get them to weld on the extra tabs for my future fogs though!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:22 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Looks baller status !!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Yeeyeeeeh! they see me rollin'.......
Old 02-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

So I zip tied the licence plate to the frame. Looks okay... not really but at least im legal..ish lol!
Old 02-06-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351

Looks good! I've always wondered why they don't extend the side to line up with the fender better though?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:07 PM

they hatin...
Old 02-06-2009, 05:24 PM

Patrolling they tryin to catch me ridin dirty...
Old 02-06-2009, 05:46 PM

That bumper is sick!!! the only thing i dis like is how open it is now.

Good buy!
Old 02-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jay351
Finally! I got my front bumper built this week. Its a marlin base and a few things where tweaked to my liking (including the smaller stinger )

I need to get me some yellow fogs and a damn winch!!

Woot! Im pretty happy on how it turned out Time to hit some stuff

I still need to re-wire my hellas (the wiring is no longer tucked, looks bad), need to paint the turn signal bodys black, and I need to paint the blue body behind the bumper black

Gonna get a friend to add some black diamond plate to the top when I get my winch!

On a side note, I got nowhere to mount my licence plate! I have it inside my dash right now but it rattles when the sterio is on. Ideas?
Here is how I attached my plate and it removible so if you need to winch up or down hill it will not get in the way. The clips(4 for $12 also hear maglight clips work as well) are from a hardware store for hanging shovels and things on the wall in the garage and that are very hard to pull off so they stay real well at speed and taking good size bumps and jolts.

On a another note why not have your buddie cut a couple piece's of the diamond plate to match the angle of your bumper and cut holes for the blinkers and mount them that way kind of like this.I know it may not look the best but it's MS Paint and the best I could do to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Last edited by olharleyman; 02-06-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:51 PM

DUDE! Cover up that radiator with something. Would be harder to keep it cool when a branch pokes a hole in it.

Nice looking bumper, I'm sporting the home made bumper I got from a friend. It has a 1/4" steel plate that covers the bottom section of exposed radiator, and I have no problem keeping cool.

EDIT: for harley man's post, I wouldn't hang the blinkers so low. I'd get a triangular plate cut and welded where you have the blinkers mounted now, then get some 2" round orange lights for blinkers. That's what I'm doing anyway...

Last edited by hmmwv15; 02-06-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Looks good! I've always wondered why they don't extend the side to line up with the fender better though?
I noticed the same thing. Im going to paint the fender black behind so it blends in. Down the road I will eventually extend the tube a few inches back to the fenderwell opening

Originally Posted by bigt
they hatin...
Originally Posted by 89needsatranny
Patrolling they tryin to catch me ridin dirty...

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
That bumper is sick!!! the only thing i dis like is how open it is now.

Good buy!
Yeah, its a little open. I ended up putting my plate in that opening, so it looks a little better now

Originally Posted by olharleyman
Here is how I attached my plate and it removible so if you need to winch up or down hill it will not get in the way. The clips(4 for $12 also hear maglight clips work as well) are from a hardware store for hanging shovels and things on the wall in the garage and that are very hard to pull off so they stay real well at speed and taking good size bumps and jolts.
[IMG]*snip*[/IMG]

On a another note why not have your buddie cut a couple piece's of the diamond plate to match the angle of your bumper and cut holes for the blinkers and mount them that way kind of like this.I know it may not look the best but it's MS Paint and the best I could do to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

I like your idea for the licence plate WHen I get tired of the zip ties I will rig something similar up.

I actually like the turn signals the way they are. I kinda like the angle they are at haha! My plan is to add some diamond plate (black) to the top and front to fill in some of the tube..

Originally Posted by hmmwv15
DUDE! Cover up that radiator with something. Would be harder to keep it cool when a branch pokes a hole in it.

Nice looking bumper, I'm sporting the home made bumper I got from a friend. It has a 1/4" steel plate that covers the bottom section of exposed radiator, and I have no problem keeping cool.

EDIT: for harley man's post, I wouldn't hang the blinkers so low. I'd get a triangular plate cut and welded where you have the blinkers mounted now, then get some 2" round orange lights for blinkers. That's what I'm doing anyway...

My licence plate does the trick Im not too worried. With the BL the rad sits higher then the condenser thingy that the picture shows... Im happy my 3vze is getting more airflow Never a bad thing
Old 02-06-2009, 06:33 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Bumper looks good, looks like a new skip plate is in order. Well thats the story of my truck one thing always leads to another.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:21 PM

No drop brackets for the radiator?

As long as your happy with it I guess. I can't see it from my house.

Last edited by hmmwv15; 02-06-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:35 PM

ionno, i think ur truck is TOO sexy.

If i was a cop, id confiscate it and run

Quick Reply: New front bumper!