Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

new to this forum but wanted to ask some stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to this forum but wanted to ask some stuff.

first off id like to let you all know ive owned my 95 runner for about a year but its generally stayed in my family since new. just hit 200,000 miles sadly though it does have the 3.0 and had two head gaskets replaced 30,000 miles of each other i have every single maintance record and aside from the huge stack of oil changes and one trans flush. just recently though ive read that the exhaust transfer pipe is the cause of this slightly also head bolts. first has anyone tried ceramic coating and heat wrapping the entire stock system?
reason i ask is because if this is the only issue than it may be what im looking for to one cure the problem and two i plan on turbo mod ive noticed that the few on the net that did turbo there 3.0 didnt attempt to stop the heat transfer. id only plan on a t3 turbo for budget with larger intake and exhaust diameters 2-3 inches has well has a decently sized front mount intercooler has well has a cold air intake or a hood mod to gain cool air. i plan on using stock manifolds has there log type and really theres not many other choices performance wise to gain any efficiency from using a custom type it would still have to be almost log style on the side thatll retain the turbo. id also be using a turbo heat shield ive seen them around just need to source one to fit my turbo. anyhow id like some input before i begin that

im also going to be replacing my a/c compressor expansion valve and reciever/dryer has well has flushing the evap and condensor has well has how to vacuum and refill the system anyone instrested in a write up on this i can supply pics tools needed etc.. btw compressor went out last week almost locked the motor up really came out of no where
Old 08-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WOW!!! Thats quite a plan, I'm not going to even try to discourage you from spending the kind of time/ money in turboing your 3.0. I doubt wrapping your exhaust will help more than it harms. It will make your exhaust very hot. I suggest ensuring a good unrestricted flow, so the hot gasses can leave the tailpipe faster(lower EGT, and lower under hood temps). Sounds to me like you have a long hard road ahead of you, and don't let anyone tell you to just get the supercharged 3.4. You're probably going to have to custom fab every piece of your turbo setup, because there aren't any turbo kits for the 3.0( at least none that I know of) Make sure you shield your components(not necessarily wrap the exhaust) and you may want to consider a full rebuild with that many miles on the motor.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:33 AM

with that many miles, your sure you want to try and build it up for power and such? now i know that some engines can go over 300k, but in reality, id run this baby till she died, then get one with a lot less miles and do ur set up then. it does sound like a great set up though.

good luck. ^_^
Old 08-23-2007, 04:37 AM
Contributing Member

minimum exhaust diameter for a turbo application should be 2.5".

My current n/a intake pipe diameter is 2.5"

I wouldn't use any larger than a T3 turbo on a stock internal 3vze anyways. As said, I'd make the flow unrestricted. Get rid of the stock crossover and fab something up between the stock exhaust manifolds. Wrapping the exhaust will keep all the heat in, and that will help the spool, as it's the thermal expansion of exhaust gases that spins turbines, not so much the actual exhaust flow.

Intercooler? While I agree one is necessary, I'm interested to see where you think one will fit LOL