Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New Distributor /Plug Colors Don't Match...need help

Old 01-01-2008, 05:32 AM
"pete f passed away quietly in his sleep on July 13, 2008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Distributor /Plug/wire Colors Don't Match...need help

I have had a no spark condition with my 89 pickup 3.0 for just about a month. I had a cel and I 12pulled the codes and got a code 12. When I checked the distributor the copper wire came out when I checked the pickup coil. I replaced it and lost my cel. In the last month I have replaced the wires ,plugs,coil,igniter(from junk yard) ecm, efi relay and ignition switch.
Well after pulling the entire dash to get to the ignition switch I still had no spark so I was checking the plug at the distributor and noticed the wire colors didn't match at the plug. Well I called the parts store and told them the plug wires colors didn't match and they ordered me another distributor.
Question: Will the distributor signal get screwed up with this plug configuration.
Attached Thumbnails New Distributor /Plug Colors Don't Match...need help-plug-3.jpg  

Last edited by pete f; 01-02-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
That's a good question, pete. Sorry I don't have the answer, but maybe another more knowledgeable soul will....

by the way, Happy New Year, buddy! Hope this year brings better luck with your truck...
Old 01-02-2008, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
That's a good question, pete. Sorry I don't have the answer, but maybe another more knowledgeable soul will....

by the way, Happy New Year, buddy! Hope this year brings better luck with your truck...
Thanks Gary Happy New Year to you too!!! Well it's about the only thing that doesn't seem right the wires should match up . The white wire could go with the black but the rest should match up color to color and they don't. I'm supposed to get the new distributor today. I have to call napa @ 9 a.m. Maybe someone here can answer my question .
Old 01-02-2008, 04:57 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
As long as the plugs look the same, color does not matter. Toyota changed plug color based on where and when the vehicle was manufactured (i doubt they really did it on purpose, more of a "what was available" thing) and it has no bearing on whether it works or not.

btw this is all for factory stuff. If you got this aftermarket...good luck. I stopped fighting with that junk years ago cause they could never get it right.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
As long as the plugs look the same, color does not matter. Toyota changed plug color based on where and when the vehicle was manufactured (i doubt they really did it on purpose, more of a "what was available" thing) and it has no bearing on whether it works or not.

btw this is all for factory stuff. If you got this aftermarket...good luck. I stopped fighting with that junk years ago cause they could never get it right.
I should have phased it better. What I meant was the wires are different. None of the wire colors match up.For example red to red , green to green e.t.c.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:34 AM

The company that makes the distributor said as long as the black wire on the harness matches up with the yellow wire on the new distributor and it does . So they said that maybe the 1st distributor was bad . I picked up same model distributor and put it in and I could not determine if it getting spark because it is 5 degrees outside and battery went dead on 1st crank. I'm charging it now and I'm going to try it in about an hour with the charger attached to the battery.
I'm also going to swap out igniter with the one I got in the junk yard.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:22 PM

Well I'm back to where I started. No spark and no check engine light. I guess my Igniter is the problem?Tomorrow I'll retrace all wires and fuses again.