86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Needing help with engine/cab harness...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needing help with engine/cab harness...

Well Im pretty sure I screwed up... So I wrecked my 4Runner and found a guy who wanted to trade me a 89 Toyota pickup 22RE, so I glanced at it and said what the hell why not. So I just got the truck today and im looking at it, and I knew that the main engine harness had been cut so I figure I can splice it all back together.

Well come to find out the motor in the truck now must be newer because the old harness wont fit on half the plugs. So how can I tell what year the motor is?

I got a lot of spare parts with it. I do have the computer with the motor and it looks to be the main harness for inside the truck... Now I really hate the thoughts of ripping out the whole dash and putting it in and hell it might not even fit since its newer. I noticed that on the old computer the 3 plugs that go into it are all on the engine harness, and on the new harness there is only 2 plugs for the computer on there and the 3rd one is on the harness for inside the cab... So thats got me confused.

What is the best way to go about this? Should I try to put the new harness in the cab or what? Im just at a loss of words right now because I dont know where to start.... I really hate to put a bunch of money into this because there is a lot more rust on it then I originally thought.

Also I just thought I might add to help figure out what year the computer/motor is. They have yellow plugs on them, and on my old computer/harness they have dark grey plugs.

Thanks,
Austin

Last edited by holsky; 01-29-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
just move your current sensors to the new motor.. done, no need to mess with the harness that came with the motor.

If I am wrong it's because I don't know what year your truck is.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:05 AM

The truck I just picked up is a 89 22re. And I dont have the old motor...
Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 AM

so you bought a truck with a motor that was replaced and both wiring harnesses are cut?
Old 01-29-2011, 11:14 AM

No, I wrecked my 4runner and my mechanic wanted it so he asked me if I wanted to trade it for the old 89 yota.

No only the old harness is cut.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 AM

old harness meaning the truck side or the engine side?

Look at the EGR part numbers and some of the vsv part numbers on the engine. Post em up and I will look them up to see which years they came of of. As certain years came with different ones.

Is the AFM part of the truck or the engine?

I don't know if I can run the casting number as I don't know where to access that.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:36 AM

oops by EGR I mean EGR modulator not the EGR valve.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:22 PM

What is the afm? And I'll get those tomorrow and see what they say on them.

The engine harness is cut but i am able to splice them all back together if needed.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:24 PM

AFM= Airflow meter. Gonna be hard to help ya rewire when ya don;'t know all of the sensors that are on the motor.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Might be nice to know where you are ??

Is this correct you wrecked your 4Runner and traded for a Truck that is a 89 Toyota pick up with a 22re.

So what you have is a truck with a engine bolted up but then they quit before interfacing the engine and truck harness.

Does this so called mechanic not know the history of the truck he just traded you. find out what year vehicle the engine came out of. it could be out of something older not newer.

talk about a pig in a poke

My head hurts just trying to figure this one out
Old 01-29-2011, 03:43 PM

I think his first step should be downloading the fsm for the 89 to find out what colors the wires are and what they are for sensor wise. then it should be a matter of finding those sensors on the engine. But this is only gonna work correctly if he has the right sensors for his particular ecu.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:07 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Also, just so we can get the story straight, the ECU you currently have, is it from the Truck, the original vehicle for the Motor, or do you have Both?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Might be nice to know where you are ??

Is this correct you wrecked your 4Runner and traded for a Truck that is a 89 Toyota pick up with a 22re. YES

So what you have is a truck with a engine bolted up but then they quit before interfacing the engine and truck harness. Basically

Does this so called mechanic not know the history of the truck he just traded you. find out what year vehicle the engine came out of. it could be out of something older not newer. He doesnt know anything about it either. Cant remember how he even go it. Hence me saying I think I screwed up by trading him. And I didnt do any hw on the truck.

talk about a pig in a poke

My head hurts just trying to figure this one out

I know that the injector plugs are different. Ones have the plugs and the other have the snap on caps. And of course the writing on the ecus are all wore off.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by fierohink
Also, just so we can get the story straight, the ECU you currently have, is it from the Truck, the original vehicle for the Motor, or do you have Both?
I have the original ecu and harness. And I have the ecu/harness for the motor in the truck now.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:20 AM

I have the original ecu and harness. And I have the ecu/harness for the motor in the truck now..

your confusing all of us. I had asked you if the harness that was cut was the engine harness or the truck harness you said the truck harness was cut, now your saying you have the engine harness and engine ecu in the truck, so which is it.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:29 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
So which harness was cut? The original that matches the trcuk or the harness that matches the motor? If you have the harness that matches the motor intact and the ECU that matches that harness then run with that.

I understand you don't want to have to pull the dash and everything to do a complete harness swap, but as was mentioned before you're dealing with a pig and a poke. You don't have the original motor so you can't swap sensors to match the original harness and ECU. If I followed correctly, you're dealing with an 89 4x4. Is it Auto or Manual? It really doesn't matter, the only thing that crosses over the dash is a single harness bundle that goes to the gauge cluster and column. You might be able to tuck it in from below and only have to pull the glove box and the acces panel under the column. You'll get some bloody knuckles fishing things through.

I think your mechanic got the better of you. Sorry.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
oops by EGR I mean EGR modulator not the EGR valve.
Cant find any numbers on the egr modulator but there are numbers on the valve.

The top numbers are 25620-35100 and the bottom numbers are 135000-1891.

The airflow senor is part of the top of the air box.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:36 AM

EGR part number is no help 84-95 22re's had all of the same egr valves but the modulators were different so was the vsv's the vsv part numbers are on the metal piece of it's bracket
Old 01-30-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
I have the original ecu and harness. And I have the ecu/harness for the motor in the truck now..

your confusing all of us. I had asked you if the harness that was cut was the engine harness or the truck harness you said the truck harness was cut, now your saying you have the engine harness and engine ecu in the truck, so which is it.
Hahah im confusing myself...

Ok, the main harness that runs to the ecu through the firewall to the motor is cut in half... Which is the original harness to the truck.

So basicly that doesnt matter anyways since it will not work with that motor.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:48 AM

the harness will work with that motor, but the ecu (if it's the one that came with the truck) will not if the sensors on the motor don't match up.

Quick Reply: Needing help with engine/cab harness...