86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some motor swap help

my buddy took his 86 22re 4runner to a guy to fix a exhaust leak now he is losing almost 1 to 2 quarts of oil a day YES a DAY.
as of now we think he has a cracked head and he priced a rebuild on it around 800$ to 1200$

so we found a 22r that came out of I think a 84 or below for 150$ can we swap motor fairly easy or is this more complicated then rebuilding his 22re
and can the EFI fit on a older 22r pre 85

the 22r has 130K on it.
this truck is his work truck and he needs to get it back on the road fast like by the end of this weekend or is this all too crazy too do in 3 days.

thanks in advance

Last edited by CyMoN; 04-26-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: bad title
Old 04-27-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok well I got him to come over and not buy the 22r decreased his motor again got it all dried off started it and let it idle and no leak the instant he gave it some gas oil started flinging off of the crank pulley shut it off and inspected the whole front of the motor no oil from the head.

so we looked a little closer at the crank pulley and oil was dripping so we pulled the radiator and fan to inspect the front main seal got everything out and he went to loosen the crank bolt and it was LOOSE since we where at this point we pulled the old main seal it was worn and old.
put in a new one I had laying around put the sucker back together torqued it to spec filled it all back up with fluids started it up and saved him a ton of $$$$$
no leaks now I am gald he listened to me and came over he was going to take the extra head I have over and get it
re done today but he waited

now we have to find out how a bolt that should be torqued at around 119 flbs loosened up after the exhaust was fixed witch we had to tighten some bolts on and had to change.