Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need some advice....

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice....

Hi,

Don't post much thanks to FAQ's, but have a problem. 87 4Runner with 283,042 original motor miles. #2 plug has been fouling every 5k. Clean and replace. Loosing coolant for some time but not bad. Top off when low. August, temp gauge maxed but made it home. Not driven since.

Today, filled with coolant and started. Still runs good. No hiccups but steaming from excuse somewhat. No pressure on top radiator hose but thermo may be stuck open cause takes forever to blow warm.

Questions:
With mileage, would you recommend HG only, complete rebuild or long block replacement?

I'm pretty savvy with a wrench. How difficult to change motor.

HG change looks pretty straight forward.

This is a stretch "appx" amt. to expect to pay for Mechanic to replace?

Thanks

Everything on this one still works. I'm second owner and have used as my dd for years. Don't see it changing.

Thank you for help.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:16 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Even Toyotas wear out.

@ near 300,000, complete rebuild, or engine replacement are the only options that make sense if you are committed to continued long term service.

With the help of the FSM, and decent tools; you and a friend should be able to remove your engine in a day.

Maybe a little longer time for engine reinstallation.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
With as many miles as you have, I would do more then just a head gasket. It might get you a few more miles out of the motor but my experience with one with that many miles, most are just worn out. Prices are going to vary so check around. Getting all of the fluids and tune up parts for a new motor is a small fortune in itself.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

This is one of those things only you can decide how much you want or can really afford to spend

.Then for about the same cost depending on just how much help you can have done for free or food a 3.4 swap might be something to think about .

When it gets to the point of paying labor to swap a engine in a 30 year old vehicle The few quotes I have seen around here are in the $1200 to $1000 range for in and out the same engine.

That does not count all the parts and fluids that should be changed Hoses belts etc maybe clutch