Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need pics of IFS With RANCO LIFT

Old 10-12-2005, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Need pics of IFS With RANCHO LIFT

Anyone? I have found SQUAT on the net as for pictures. I'am looking for close-ups and all around shots. Anyone?

James

Last edited by SRV1; 10-13-2005 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:39 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tough country, rough country, rancho, trailmaster, they all look alike pretty much, just spacers that drop the entire IFS unit about 3".
What is it you want to see specifically?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:42 PM

Actually the rancho lift, drops the differential a different amount than the lower control arms and adds longer upper control arms. I've seen a few around town but can't remember seeing a pic online.

Last edited by humboldt; 10-12-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:48 PM

Here's a link to a picture thanks to google:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/762000
Old 10-13-2005, 07:29 AM

Thanks!

James
Old 10-13-2005, 07:38 AM

Rancho is 100000000% percent different than TrailMaster, ProCrap and similar.

It is by far the best IFS lift I have seen.

Problem is no one uses it and IFS lifts are just a temporary thing.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:50 AM

The rancho lift has major advantages and disadvantages over the other bracket kits:

Advantages:

Upper control arms allow for more angled arms (Calmini does this with sidekicks and nissans)

I believe it actually adds a little travel.

Disadvantages:

Crossmember hangs lower than stock, so you don't gain any clearance.

Upper arms are pretty weak.

It maxes your cv angles out, much like cranking t-bars.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
The rancho lift has major advantages and disadvantages over the other bracket kits:

Advantages:

Upper control arms allow for more angled arms (Calmini does this with sidekicks and nissans)

I believe it actually adds a little travel.

Disadvantages:

Crossmember hangs lower than stock, so you don't gain any clearance.

Upper arms are pretty weak.

It maxes your cv angles out, much like cranking t-bars.
I heard about the front crossmember but that is about it.

Where did you get your information from or are you talking from personal experience?

James
Old 10-13-2005, 08:21 PM

I have talked to my mechanics at protrux as well as observing them first hand at the shop. I have been told that the brace from the kit for the cross shaft was an ok idea, but the general construction of the arms is pretty weak and that the overall design is pretty crappy.

Then again, an IFS upgrade to them and I is very different, so what we compare it to is a whole different ballgame.

As far as the cv's, that was me, but now that I think about it again, lowering the crossmember solved that issue. Another thing to consider is that when you beat on a stock truck or bracket lifted kit things will tend to shift. The positioning of the crossmember looks like it is not in an optimal place to keep things straight. If you're crawling it ain't as big of a deal, but high speed stuff, that thing will get twisted up.

Protrux has taken off the Rancho kits before, so if you are going to use it and want some advice on what to watch out for and keep an eye on, give them a call.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:36 PM

I see. Well I really haven't heard about control arms breaking but if Protrux is mostly desert racing then I can see why. Actually I dont think any of the lift kits by the big manufacturors are designed for jumping. Your going to need aftermarket control arms like Total Chaos. What was the reason for Rancho to quit making this lift? I know many want to the upper control arms.

James
Old 10-13-2005, 10:18 PM

Why did they quit making the lift?

For one thing there is a lot of competition. Plus, the competition boasts 4 or 5 inches of lift while rancho only advertises 3". Most people looking for a lift kit want as much lift as they can get, thier idea of "bang for the buck". So the general audience was probably overlooking the rancho kit. For those who actually knew what the kit did, the lowered crossmember probably seemed to be a disadvantage. It is actually advantageous in the fact that it keeps center of gravirty lower than trailmaster or procomp.

I think Downey probably bought off the last of Rancho's supplies, because they still sell half of that kit. They sell the upper arms, cross shaft brace and what looks to be a steering center link. I don't know all the ins and outs of the kit, but Jim at Protrux has seen a few of the kits.

How did you get your rancho kit? Is it new in the box?
Old 10-14-2005, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
It is by far the best IFS lift I have seen.
Sorry you feel that way, because it's by far the biggest POS lift available... I installed on on my old 87 4Runner because it advertised 2.5" additional travel, had the Rancho name, had received good reviews because it seemed to address some issues by using the longer upper a-arm. POS. POS. POS. POS.

I've also owned TrailMaster and SuperLift.

The Rancho kit had good ideas, very, very poor execution. If you think it's hard to keep an IFS truck aligned (lift or not), be prepared: the Rancho kit has even worse alignment problems.

If someone wants a 2" lift, go with balljoint spacers.
If someone wants a 4" lift, go with Superlift.
If someone wants to wheel, SAS it and be done.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by SRV1
I see. Well I really haven't heard about control arms breaking but if Protrux is mostly desert racing then I can see why. Actually I dont think any of the lift kits by the big manufacturors are designed for jumping. Your going to need aftermarket control arms like Total Chaos. What was the reason for Rancho to quit making this lift? I know many want to the upper control arms.

James
Lots of complaints about alignment problems. Issues with the lower crossmember due to them sitting lower than the a-arm mounts, problems with people smacking the front diff due to how it sits relative to the lower crossmembers, lack of lift (practical amount is only 2-2.5"), poor performance.

The Downey/Rancho hybrid is also a POS. Downey threw some new 1/2 shafts at the kit in hopes of not having to lower the front diff. The problem is that they ran u-joints with highly clearanced yolks - many, many, many broken sets of 1/2 shafts... lots of complaints. To the point that they actually changed their advertising to state that it wasn't intended to be used in 4wd in any high-traction circumstance. This was back in the early-mid 90's... not sure what they're doing now.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:45 AM

It is a lot better than the Trail Disaster and Pro Crap kits I have seen bent, beaten and worthless.

I like it because, other than the crossmember, it adds no brackets to fatigue and crap out.

Still an IFS lift. Still moderately useless, but not as bad as some IMHO.

The Downey addition was wonderful. Nothing like adding a slip joint where you don't need one.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:22 AM

The slip yoke idea is a good concept, but just terrible design on Downey's part. In the most recent DirtSports magazine, they show a new telescoping axle for race applications. That setup is nicely done. IFS can be built well, but it is super expensive. Trying to do so on a budget is a waste, you just won't get anywhere.

Someone needs to combine a rancho lift with a superlift kit, and then add a chaos kit on it.....hahahahahaha That would drop the diff 7 inches and you'd have long travel arms. I'd love to see what they say at the alignment shop.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:45 PM

Why did they quit making the lift?

For one thing there is a lot of competition. Plus, the competition boasts 4 or 5 inches of lift while rancho only advertises 3". Most people looking for a lift kit want as much lift as they can get, thier idea of "bang for the buck". So the general audience was probably overlooking the rancho kit. For those who actually knew what the kit did, the lowered crossmember probably seemed to be a disadvantage. It is actually advantageous in the fact that it keeps center of gravirty lower than trailmaster or procomp.

I think Downey probably bought off the last of Rancho's supplies, because they still sell half of that kit. They sell the upper arms, cross shaft brace and what looks to be a steering center link. I don't know all the ins and outs of the kit, but Jim at Protrux has seen a few of the kits.

I read on here and another forum about the alignment issues but none of them went into details of why they couldn't hold an alignment. I did read that when the arms where designed they weren't as close to factory spec alignments. I will be doing all the work as well as the alignment.

Now Stein guy likes it and others hate it. I ask you what should I do, sell it and buy another lift or use it?

James

How did you get your rancho kit? Is it new in the box?

Brand new complete in the box from the internet from Eastern Offroad on Ebay. Why you ask?

From what I remember the other lifts like Pro-Comp, Trail Master and Superlift really don't add any ground clearance. If I remember correctly, I read somewhere in a magazine that measured the clearance with the same size tires on 3-4 trucks and most of them if not all added only 1" of clearance. I can't remember exactly so don't quote me. I believe the Rancho is about the same height as well.

Now lets talk about these arms. What is so "weak" on these arms? Welds? Thickness? Material? Design? What? What makes them break? I assume jumping the crap out of it does which is understandable since none of the kits I listed were designed for it.

Last edited by SRV1; 10-14-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=deathrunner]

QUOTE]
Downey claims in their ad's that their IFS lift won't drop the Diff, and the pic of the PU in their ad's sure looks alot more lifted and it looks like it gain's alot of clearence. Course it could just be a optical illusion cause of that massive IFS skid plate they have on there.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:07 AM

[QUOTE=Diesel_Freak]

QUOTE]
Downey claims in their ad's that their IFS lift won't drop the Diff, and the pic of the PU in their ad's sure looks alot more lifted and it looks like it gain's alot of clearence. Course it could just be a optical illusion cause of that massive IFS skid plate they have on there.
downey's kit does not drop the diff. the slip yoke makes up for the angle changes due to the upper arm.

As far as upper arm weakness, it still utilizes a ball joint instead of a uniball.
Since your kit is new in box, I would feel better than a used setup. Should be fine for general offroading.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:53 AM

I had the Rancho on my 89 truck from 1990 to 1999. I used it in combination with a body lift and Downey's larger diameter torsion bars to fit 35's. I did have alignment problems and very little upward travel unless I was jumping, but prefer the Rancho upper a arms over the horrible, my opinion, design of the trail master. The drop cross memeber wasn't bad, but did take away ground clearance the lift gave. I may have some photos if interested.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by sgirt
I had the Rancho on my 89 truck from 1990 to 1999. I used it in combination with a body lift and Downey's larger diameter torsion bars to fit 35's. I did have alignment problems and very little upward travel unless I was jumping, but prefer the Rancho upper a arms over the horrible, my opinion, design of the trail master. The drop cross memeber wasn't bad, but did take away ground clearance the lift gave. I may have some photos if interested.
Post up some pics please. Now what alignment issues were you having? Was it you couldn't get it into factory specs? Explain please what you meant by no upward travel.

James

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need pics of IFS With RANCO LIFT