Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Photo

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Photo

Can someone supply this photo tonight.

I NEED A PICTURE TONIGHT OR EARLY MORNING.

As usaul my truck is not here so I just can't go taking pictures and showing what I mean.

I think I may know what my problem is (might be my fault). "Please read cracked cylinder and head gasket threads"

Can someone please take a picture looking straight down from where the intake tubes mount to the upper intake plenum. Just undernieth that and on either side there is an air inlet tube.

On the back (closest to the firewall) when I was putting it back together it was very obvious where the vacume line connected. On the front not so much.

Here is the question. "Looking birds eye view on top of the engine just left of the intake plenum that hooks with the actual intake tube. There is a fitting that comes straight up out of the block. If I remember right it was about 3 inches to the left. Does water come out of this...gosh darn I wish I had a photo right now.

Maybe I screwed up and an easy fix as I really trust these guys I bought the engine from. What I did was hook that fitting comeing straight up out of the block near the front of the engein with the fitting on the bottom front side of the intake plenum

Sure I will feel stupid if I did that but at the same time at least it will be an easy fix.

Thanks,
Old 08-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any of these work?

Old 08-21-2008, 06:12 PM

Haha,

Maybe I didn't do a good job explaining it.

Exact other side. From where the air filter box and tubing meet the upper intake plenum.

Thank you mr. Goat. I can't sleep until I figure this out and I have a long ruck march in the morning.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:20 PM

Ok.

I found a crappy picture on Google images. I know my photo is horrible but I have yet learn how to compress photos' small enough for this website to make them look awesome like all of yours.

The bright red circle indicated the general area of the fitting that came straight up out of the block.

The two redlines are my makeshift tube that I ran to the inlet tube on the bottom of the intake plenum (represented by the Green cross).

Please tell me I'm an idiot and that there is water comming out of that and it doesn't go where I put it?

If not then I'm back to square one and a magical head gasket failure.
Attached Thumbnails Need Photo-engine.jpg  
Old 08-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, I don't see any of that side. How about the FSM drawings:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...74layoutan.pdf
Old 08-21-2008, 06:35 PM

Not sure if they are what you are looking for but you might find something in here. Near the end are more completed shots.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Green93Toy/MyToy
Old 08-21-2008, 06:39 PM

The hose you circled runs a few inches from under the intake. Then it turns up and then down into a connection on the manifold. It does have coolant in it. Is that a good thing?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p25UZL5rMs

Again compression sucks but open this video that I took of it running tonight.

Do not play it. Or play it just for the heck of it.

Stop the video 2-3 seconds in and just below that regulator (flying saucer lookign thing) there is a black tube (not the small ones that connect to the regulator) a big one.

That hose goes from that fitting sticking straight up out of the block right there to the fitting just under the intake opening.

I'm doing a horrible job explaining but I can't find any good diagrams in this darn haynes repari manual. It is a horrible manula for the 3.0 liter engine.

Last edited by addicted56; 08-21-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:49 PM

Alright.

I guess I'm going to hit the sac. I just found a picture in my manul. Crappy one. That shoes a tube comming out of what I'm thinking and going who knows where but in the same general direction that I have mine going.

But at the same time I found another line (maybe you can see it in my video..that in my manual says goes back towards the front of the engine near the water pump...and I have it convieniently going to my intake.

Ohh well.

I guess I will just have to play around more tomorrow.

Last edited by addicted56; 08-21-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:53 PM

This of any help?

Old 08-21-2008, 06:59 PM

YES..

Ok so what I at first thought I had screwed up I apperently have right

but pleas tell me from left to right...What do those hoses with the rags in them go to. It is your second picture down.

As you can see in my video I have two of them (I can't find the 3rd to match) going to my intake??? they just happened to convienently fit there so I figured that is where they went.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:01 PM

HOLLY CRAP..

AM I PUMPING THE RETURN COOLANT LINE INTO MY INTAKE

Please view the video posted above.

For some reason my configuration looks differnt on that cast iron return port for the coolant.

Last edited by addicted56; 08-21-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:13 PM

heres a few more for ya

Old 08-22-2008, 01:29 AM

That does help.

My optomisim has faded as of now. The other two hoses that I thought may be leading to my intake by mistake are appearing at least as of now to be going to the correct location.

I guess I wil stick with the head gasket theory and run some checks on it next week..
Old 08-22-2008, 04:29 AM

I took some pictures this morning.

Of course what I thought was causing the problems wasn't. There was water comming out of those ports though. Well it was actually high pressure steam shooting out of both of them.

I could hear the whole thing gargling when I stuck my head down next to it once it warmed up after a few mintues.

It doesn't run HORRIBLE any more but at idle until it is warm it still has a really hard time.

These guys I got it from keep swearing it was in tip top shape when they tore it out. What else could go wrong besides the head gasket.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:51 AM

sorry guys, i know this is of topic, but can u tell me where the fuel filter is on my 91 4runner 3.0L EFI, theres a canister in the engine bay with like 2 tubes going to it, saying to fuel and the other saying to purge, WHAT is this canister and where ist he fuel filter located, thanks guys
Old 08-22-2008, 05:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimbos_4runner
sorry guys, i know this is of topic, but can u tell me where the fuel filter is on my 91 4runner 3.0L EFI, theres a canister in the engine bay with like 2 tubes going to it, saying to fuel and the other saying to purge, WHAT is this canister and where ist he fuel filter located, thanks guys

That's the evap can, the filter is beside the frame under the passinger seat area.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:44 AM

thanks alot for that mate, would it be wise to change this canister every so often or, whats the go. i cant seem to find the fuel filter under the car, could it be any where else, is it possible to post a pic of it if anyone out there has a 91 runner
Old 08-22-2008, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

I'm still using my original evap can from 1993. Do you have a gas tank on the passinger side? Since you say "mate" you must be downunder, no? Follow the fuel lines forward from the gas tank, you can't miss it.

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-22-2008 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:54 AM

ok thanks very much, haha u so can notice the differnce in just reading text its crazy, yeah u picked it, im a pure skip as they say over here, aussie. Dude i love my car wouldnt wanna trade it in for anything, i cant kill it there awesome and strong, im just having trouble with the petrol, runs great on LGP but when i chage it over to PETROL and purge it thru for a bit to get the LPG out of the lines it still runs sheet, like it lags and spatters and dont run that well so thats y i was thinking it was the fuel filter

Quick Reply: Need Photo