86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Need help please

Ok i think my truck is very weird, my truck seems to have no AWD only 2wd and 4wd with locked front diff, is this normal ? its a 1993 hilux sr5 LN107 2.8D manual
my truck only has one light on the dash for the 4wd and its green writing saying "4WD" there is not diff lock indicator!
when in 2wd i can spin my front drive shaft whilst all 4 wheels are still on the ground.
then if i click my home made 4WD switch on the dash i cannot spin the front driveshaft, this is all very well and good and normal as the diff lock collar has moved into place. but
my transfer case actuator must be for show !? i mean what the hell does it do !!
the only thing that it does is lock the front driveshaft to the rear one, which does absolutley nothing because its still in 2wd !!
and the only 4WD i have is after i have locked the diff with my home made diff lock (old one broke). and that means the only 4wd i have results in me not being able to turn without smashing my diffs to bits (they clunk and bang while turning in 4wd)
so i dont think my truck has AWD because if i can turn the front driveshaft by hand in 2wd then its not turning the diff, so even if the front driveshaft is locked to the rear driveshaft im still only in 2wd, see my problem now ? :S
then by locking the front diff i get the front diff to engage the driveshaft but then i cannot turn (not very usefull unless offroading in a dead straight line)
so in conclusion, the only 4WD i have is with the diff locked, and i can have either 2wd with both driveshafts spinning or 2wd with just the rear driveshaft spinning, AHHH im so confused!!!
PLEASE HELP i need the truck for land cruiser park this weekend!!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:52 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
heres the deal as far as i know... when in 2hi... just the rear drive line is spinner with the motor.. when in 4hi or 4lo your rear and front drive lines are engaged in the transfercase and in your front diff there is an actuator that "locks" which engages your your front diff making you 4wd. A signal is sent from the transfer case to a vsv under the hood that switches the diff. I believe this system is called automatic disconnecting differential. or A.D.D. That is how it normally works. You don't have "lockers" That did not start happening till the later year rigs that had the trd option.
Now you're not supposed to make tight turns when in 4wd as it binds up everything and thats why its harder to steer in 4wd. Now if you run a seperate switch that you can turn engage/disengage the front diff, that would make steering a little easier for when you need to. Otherwise it should automaticly engage the front diff when you shift into 4wd. I hope this explains things to you.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey thanks for the quick reply, yeah thats a real help thank you , so my truck has no AWD it just 2wd and 4wd ?
cheers
Old 04-23-2010, 03:43 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
yep... 2wd and 4wd. selectable 4wd, its nice. awd would mean its all 4 wheels powered the whole time.