86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Please

Hello~ i am new to the forum and new to Yota pickups.
I just bought a 86 4wd toyota this past weekend. Come to find out, the guy i bought it from tried to do a rear brake job, but really messed it up! He bent the dust cover up pretty bad and it is rubbing and getting really hot! Apparently it has burnt up the axle seals and now there is oil all over that side! And I have virtually NO brake power...I mean it will stop me but i have to press the pedal down almost all the way before it starts grabbing. I also discovered that the chunk is leaking from the front and rear seal.
I really don't know much about this stuff, or what everything is actually called, but I am a fast learner and this is the only vehicle i have to drive, so I hope someone can help me out----FAST!
I guess my main question is: would i be better off to replace all of the seals and the drums, or should I just get a new rear end? I have VERY limited funds, so I need to go about this the cheapest and fastest way possible!

Thank you for your time and help. Sorry about the long post---

Bryan
Old 07-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you priced evrything out. Try the internet and maybe some junkyards.
I think it would be easier and cheaper to replace the whole thing if you can find one in good shape.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:45 PM

Yeah

ok, i just took the axle out and yeah...the bearing is shot, there is no seal there, and the axle well, lets just say it probably looked like I had neons under the truck at night! LOL---D@mn IT! So now....I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M GONNA DO!!!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 04:17 PM

You can most likely find a rear axle on craigslist. They are pretty cheap. from what I have seen they run around $100-180$.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:06 PM

found one

hey i found one! Complete with "new" seals. Hopefully I have all the tools i need to pull it. Any advice on pulling it? Any tricks i need to know? Again, i have never done anything like this, so any advice at all is helpful!

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 07-16-2007, 05:38 PM

try a search. maybe pulling rear axle or something. the search will most likely have every thing u'll ever need and then some. i promise. lol