86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Help... New to the 4Runner life...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help... New to the 4Runner life...

I have onwed my 1966 Ford Mustang since I got back from my tour of duty in Iraq in 2005, so I new how to work on it, what parts go where, etc. But I just bought a 1993 4Runner and want a new and better engine in it, right now I have a 3.0l v6 engine in her right now, and I would like to know if anybody could help me out, if I could put in a 3.4l v6 engine in my 93' 4Runner, or is a 3.0l v6 engine I have now is a better engine? I am retired and have money to spend, so my plan is to buy a brand new and unused engine for my 4Runner... I just would like to know if the 3.0l v6 is better or worse than a 3.4l v6 engine, and if the 3.4l is better and worth buying, will it fit in my 93 4Runner? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 AM

The 3.4 is definatly a better Engine. I am currently running the 3.0 and wish I had the time to drop in the 3.4, if you search 3.4 swaps on this site im shure you will find everything your looking for, there are so many great threads and pics of how to and tips from the Yota Pros.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 AM

X2 to what Tyman said. The 3.0 isn't bad necessarily, but many would call it gutless due to its lack of power. The 3.4 will definitely give you an increase in HP, but as expected there will need to be some modification to get it installed.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:08 AM

Thank You for your service to this great country.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 PM

Your welcome rbuchmann... But I should be thanking you, for supporting us over there. I dont agree with the war, but I agree in protecting my country and my loved ones... I agree with you guys, the 3.0l v6 isn't a bad engine, but when you have been driving a 66' mustang with a 289 bored .30 aluminum heads, roller rockers, a 280 comp cam, and a four barrel carb, the 3.0l seems pretty ball-less... I googled and found one guy who put a 3.4l into a much older 4runner than I have, but I just wanted to see if anybody knew when swapping a 3.0l for a 3.4l if you had to do mino or major tweaks to make it fit, also if you had to change the original tranny too. I dont think it would be a problem, but the car i am used to working on is much older and has no computer or electrics like the cars do now days.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
As I understand it the V6 tranny will work and so will the motor mounts. There is some rewiring of the computer and some exhaust work. I got to ride in one that was swapped and what a difference it made. Here is some links for information >> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/

I miss my little 68 Mustang 289, fun little cars to work on.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 AM

My swap choice would be the 3RZ 4 cylinder. A little more work to swap, but easy to work on and very reliable.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smracing
My swap choice would be the 3RZ 4 cylinder. A little more work to swap, but easy to work on and very reliable.
Why would you swap a V6 for a 4cylinder. I could see in a pickup of the 84-95 year range. But a 4runner, that would be completely ignorant. 4runners are heavy and they rely in a larger engine to move them around. If you'd swap a 2.7 into a 4runner It would never pull it around on inclined territory. Sorry but but that would be a completely ignorant swap.

As for the OP, a 3.4 is a great engine to swap into your rig. They have nice power and decent fuel mileage. Depending on the year these 3.4's came Super charged. Good luck with making up your mind.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
Why would you swap a V6 for a 4cylinder. I could see in a pickup of the 84-95 year range. But a 4runner, that would be completely ignorant. 4runners are heavy and they rely in a larger engine to move them around. If you'd swap a 2.7 into a 4runner It would never pull it around on inclined territory. Sorry but but that would be a completely ignorant swap.

As for the OP, a 3.4 is a great engine to swap into your rig. They have nice power and decent fuel mileage. Depending on the year these 3.4's came Super charged. Good luck with making up your mind.

The 3RZ makes more power than the 3.0 and is lighter. Matter of fact, the 3.4 doesn't have much on the 3RZ. How is this an ignorant swap? With a header , intake, exhaust the 3rz would out perform the stock 3.4. Have you driven a 3RZ 4Runner? I have, and I can tell you that it will kill a 3.0.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
smracing.. A friend of mine had the 3rz and it did seem to be a great little motor. I can work on a V6 motor if I have to, but agree that working on 4 cylinders are easier. I have had a 3.0 and do have a 3.4 and I like each of them, but to be honest both of them dont get the gas mileage that I would like. I am not wanting to hijack this thread, but if you got some more info on the 3RZ, could you post it on one of my 4Runner builds below? I like the idea of different options out there. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've owned a 3.0 and I currently own a 3.4 not to mention a buddy has a 2.7 which I've driven many times. The 3.4 will be your best bet hands down. Countless people have swapped these, you can use the existing trans, motor mounts and alternator. Now I'm not saying the 2.7 is a bad motor, it's a great motor actually. But for the ease of install plus more power and the ability to push more power when tuned, and the same mpg, the 3.4 is simply the way to go without a doubt.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM

I am a little partial to 4 cylinders. I like the simplicity, and on a project vehicle it means a lot to me. Here is my 4 cylinder (not Toyota), more than 10 times as much power as a 22re.
Name:  enginec.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  52.4 KB
Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smracing

The 3RZ makes more power than the 3.0 and is lighter. Matter of fact, the 3.4 doesn't have much on the 3RZ. How is this an ignorant swap? With a header , intake, exhaust the 3rz would out perform the stock 3.4. Have you driven a 3RZ 4Runner? I have, and I can tell you that it will kill a 3.0.
Exactly as you stated.... Adding this and that then yeah it produces good power. But that's more time and more money. You could go with a bone stock 3.4 and you have more power. Then if you do wanna add more your power will only increase tremendously. I'm sorry your little 4cyl doesn't hold to a 3.4.

Now I'm not saying its a bad engine. I personally would love to own a 01 tacoma with it backed by a 5spd.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:55 PM

@Terrys87 I know what you mean, not only were cars for the 60s on down I think were made better, harder to dent, solid like a tank lol... These plastic cars now days seem to dent from a strong breeze... Not to mention the engine compartment is so full that you have to in a way take the entire engine apart just to cahgne a small thing, but with a 66 or 68 stang, and other old cars with the engine in there; there is still a ton of room to move around and work on things... Great cars, and a ton of fun to work on, the amazing thing with my stang especially being a combat veteran... I looked it up and my stang was built on the 11th of November 1965. I mean that is amazing, and I am so lucky to have found my classic dream car built on veterans day, just amazing...
Also, calm down guys, no need to get in an argument over engines power and all that... As for money I make enough on my retirement cause of the brain damage and cancer that money isn't really a problem, along with fixing my cars up I travel the world alot and build guns... @smracing thanks for the idea of a 4 cyl engine, another idea to take in mind when choosing an engine for my swap, lighter is better, and with a few extra add-ons could get about the same maybe exactly the same power from a 3.4l v6... Thanks for the idea...
I know how to drive with a 5 speed, but due to my wounds I got from over seas from the I.E.D. explosion I am unable to run a manual cause my hip is all ˟˟˟˟ed up, so I have to stick to driving an auto, or walking... and walking is over rated lol... Thanks for the replies, the links, and ideas guys hooah!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 PM

This is my 4runner, for how old, how many miles... I got her for a great steal, only $2200... Damn great condition for being 20yrs old...
Attached Thumbnails Need Help... New to the 4Runner life...-001.jpg   Need Help... New to the 4Runner life...-002.jpg   Need Help... New to the 4Runner life...-003.jpg  
Old 05-03-2013, 07:11 PM

pics...
Attached Thumbnails Need Help... New to the 4Runner life...-004.jpg   Need Help... New to the 4Runner life...-005.jpg   Need Help... New to the 4Runner life...-006.jpg  
Old 05-04-2013, 06:18 AM

She's a beaut. Got a good deal there.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:50 PM

Sure did, but there are tons of deals like that around here now... Living in Humboldt county, all the weed growers are gettin rid of their rides, so they are going for a cheap price, which is fine with me... I did find 5 joints in the ashtray lol... But to consider how many miles and what she was used for in the mountains takin weed supplies, dirt, pots, hose, etc. she is in great condition... rides smooth, got her up to bout 90 mph on the way home and a smooth ride... very happy with my buy...
Old 05-04-2013, 03:50 PM

Also, looks pretty good parked behind my stang... lol
Old 07-11-2013, 07:31 PM

I have been trying to find some good websites to buy stuff for my Runner... Anybody out there have some good sites to buy a good snorkel kit for a 93 4Runner, aftermarket suspension, aftermarket bumpers, roof racks,etc.?

Quick Reply: Need Help... New to the 4Runner life...