Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need help with many problems

Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with many problems

I just bought a 93 3.0 4runner. I started leaking coolant (i know you have seen many posts like this about the u-shape hose), the coolant started leaking like crazy now that the truck has been parked for 2 days. nearly all the coolant has drained out of the radiator in a matter of 2 days. I checked that u shaped hose and it doesn't feel wet at all. I already checked the oil and there appear to be no signs of water in it. I know I need to replace the valve cover gaskets and a few other gaskets as well. Is there anyone in the southern CA area that could help me? I don't have much money but I can give whatever I have.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:11 PM

Best bet is to add more coolant and follow the water trail to the leak.
I have replaced all the coolant hoses in my '93 a year or so ago. They get old, crack, and start leaking. I figure it's best to do them all and not worry about it again.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:16 PM

Where can I order a complete set of the coolant hoses?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:55 PM

That kinda hose is pretty standard, and you can go buy it at any major auto store.a.k.a autozone or advance auto parts. Usually sell it by the foot or something. tends to be cheap. Easy to cut with a knife or nice, hearty scissors. Just make a straight cut. One place to check as well, the upper connection point where the hose meets the block, it kinda looks like a T; that gasket I found goes out. RIght near the engine, so after almost 15 years might be cracked. Happend on 2 of my runners. easy fix thought, scrape the old gasket off and get some high temp RTV sealent and it fixes it right up. Your leak choices are pretty narrow. Hose. Radiator itself, junction at top where it meets the block. Bottom, where it meets the t-stat or your rad. cap could be bad? The gasket in those will crack or the spring will wear out?

Unless you have a big ole crack in your radiator, should not be to big of a fix. Like said before, fill it up and get it up to normal temp.. see where its leaking from.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:16 AM

It's not just the two big hoses. They are easy to take care of. it's all the smaller ones. None are very universal as they have kinks and bends in them. AKA, an auto part store will not have them.
I don't think a full set exist.
What I did was go to the dealer, and had them pull up the fich for the cooling and heating system and ordered every hose listed.

Next to the heater hoses, the throttle body has coolant run into and out of it. You need those three hoses. Also, two hoses are used for the oil cooler. One runs right under the oil filter, and the other, after the oil cooler. This changes around a bit depending on if it's 4x4 or 2x4, but two hoses should exist in this area.

Anything you don't replace now, you will be soon. And it's best to catch it now before you are gushing fluid at the side of the road.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:19 AM

Oh, and do the hoses when you pull off the intake for the valve cover gaskets. The U shaped hose and heater hoses are a pain to get at with the upper intake on.