Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need help with horn...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help with horn...

Hi everyone. I've been able to resolve many issues I've had on both of my 94 2WD ExtraCabs just by reading many of the threads on here for about a year now and finally decided to join.

The horn in one of my trucks has stopped working and from internet research, I believe it is the circular brass assembly behind the steering wheel that is no longer making good contact with the spring assembly located behind it. When I press the horn, I can hear the relay "clicking" next to the fuse box, and occasionally the horn will sound (very faintly).

I recall reading somewhere that someone recommended adding a spacer made from a coffee can lid as a quick fix and alternative to a buying a pricey replacement.

Can anyone tell me where I would place the spacer? I had everything apart last weekend and it appears that the brass is sandwiched between two pieces of black plastic which house it. I don't want to screw anything up, so I'm looking for advice from you "pros."

I apologize for a lengthy 1st post, but I figured the more details, the better.

Thanks again to all...

Jack
Old 05-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your relay was clicking everytime, I'd suspect your problem is probably on the other end, the horn itself. It's common for horns to wear out too. Especially if they have water in them, or you live in a high humidity area.

The horn only needs a positive and a ground to work. You can hook up jumper wires directly from your battery if you want. Also, put your nose in it and take a big wiff. When horns go bad they often smell burnt.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you find that you need a horn, i have a two horn setup (high and low note) off a yukon denali that would sound sweet on a yota. with mounting brackets and everything. ill ship it to ya for like $25

let me know, ccwest4400@aol.com