Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My Supercharger build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you planning on trying to get this build through a CA smog check?

Good luck on the project, BTW. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Originally Posted by Flash319
How can you be running a wide band now? The ECU is only looking for swing not a value so a wide band is doing nothing.
The AEM has a programmable 0-5v output that could be set to emulate the range of a narrowband sensor.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Aren't narrowband 0-1v?

Bosch LC-1 also has a programmable output for narrowband.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, but the AEM UEGO is 0-5V and has a programmable output as well, but thats only good for a standalone such as MegaSquirt
Old 04-16-2010, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know what size pulley you plan on using on your SC nose but I doubt you'll need anything bigger than the Walbro 190 FP. That's what the URD V6 SC fuel kits come with, and its working good for me at 10+ psi of boost.

I do recommend running a new dedicated wiring harness for the FP straight from the battery and just use the old FP wiring harness to trigger the relay for it.

I think I would have used a turbo for what you're doing but I don't know the race rules for what you have in mind.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I don't know what size pulley you plan on using on your SC nose but I doubt you'll need anything bigger than the Walbro 190 FP. That's what the URD V6 SC fuel kits come with, and its working good for me at 10+ psi of boost.

I do recommend running a new dedicated wiring harness for the FP straight from the battery and just use the old FP wiring harness to trigger the relay for it.

I think I would have used a turbo for what you're doing but I don't know the race rules for what you have in mind.

Thanks for the info. I am only running a 255 because I have it laying around. If I were to buy a pump, I probly wouldn't buy the 255 because it's overkill.

Could you explain a little more about recommending a new wiring harness for the fuel pump?

And as for SC versus turbo, I wanted to go SC, more as a appeal and project. Between all my buddies that own VR-T VW's, Audi, and Mitsubishi Starions, I'm kind of burnt out on working, seeing, and building turbo motors. At first, i was going to turbo this truck, but figured I'd have more fun building a SC for it, and it will also get alot of looks and "ooh-aah's" at my local meets. I'm pushing for 200CHP.

I got to finish my custom pulley last night, and I will give you guys the low down on it in the next little bit. I gotta get pictures up too.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik Beeman

Could you explain a little more about recommending a new wiring harness for the fuel pump?
The factory wiring harness to the FP is tiny stuff, add to that 15+ years of deterioration, plus the FP is very voltage dependent, plus a bigger pump needs more amps and you could have a problem. At LEAST check your voltage drop on it.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
The factory wiring harness to the FP is tiny stuff, add to that 15+ years of deterioration, plus the FP is very voltage dependent, plus a bigger pump needs more amps and you could have a problem. At LEAST check your voltage drop on it.

Gotcha. Didn't think of that. I will check it out, thanks for the idea!
Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 AM

I haven't made much physical progress lately, so I don't have a whole lot of write up to do. I do have the custom pulley I made already on the truck and ready to go. I do want to just keep this updated cause I don't want this thread to die.

I have been waiting on my header that I ordered. It should be here today. I didn't want to do any more work until I had a header on, because I may be able to make brackets and/or mounts that work around the header. Last thing I wanted to do was create all the mounts using a stock manifold, and then have to switch it up once I got a header.

I was also on the lookout for a diverter valve and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. I found both but have not got them yet. I'm hopefully going to be going to the junkyard tomorrow to be scouting and looking for a good tensioner set up.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any reason you can't mount the SC on the pass side like the LC kit does? I was just thinking cause of the header being right there might not be a good idea. I want to do this as well with my 22re but at 10.5:1 I can only get away with 7psi max. Keep us updated.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:25 PM

You have a good point that has been brought up by many people, because there is in fact a lot of room on the passenger side.

The reason I am not mounting it on the passenger side is because of simplicity. The amount of design that it's going to take is going to be about the same, whether I mount it on the passenger side or the driver side. The reason I decided on the driver side is because when it's all said and done, the outlet of the supercharger will be in the perfect spot for my intercooler. I have the FMI (front mount intercooler) already set up, and with the SC outlet on the driver side, I simply route my piping to one side of the intercooler, and then the exit side of the intercooler is very close to the throttle body. If I were to mount the supercharger on the passenger side, then I would have to pipe all the way to the driver side, and then back to the throttle body.

Progress has been slow lately due to a very very busy schedule, which is also the reason I haven't been on here much lately.

BTW, this motor and complete drive train will be for sale shortly.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Why are you selling it?
Swapping to a honda or other toyo engine?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by peow130
Why are you selling it?
Swapping to a honda or other toyo engine?
My brother bought a 6.0L and supercharged it for his truck (GMC Sierra), so when I swap it in a few months, I'm taking his 4.8 V8 and it's going in this truck. I have about 3 months or longer before this happens though, which is why I'm still going to finish this motor.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:25 PM

Progress is being made. Between working two jobs, finishing up school, and partying, I never really have time to sit down and just work on this thing. So, that being said, I threw my buddy some cash and he is fabricating the system for me. He took my truck for a few days. Anyways, got it mounted. I ordered my intercooler piping kit, so I can finish it up. I'm off to the junkyard to piece together an idler and tensioner setup. Once that is on, I can pipe it and it'll be done. I'm hoping engine will see boost within 2 weeks if all goes planned. Got my motor built and now 20,000 miles later I'm finally finishing it...LOL
Old 06-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
dood, sweet!

Old 06-17-2010, 03:13 PM

Just got back from the junk yard. Got the idler and tensioner that I need. I am busy tonight, but my buddy may be picking up my truck again later to work on it. Waiting on my intercooler piping, but the bid is still going so I won't have it till next week anyways. I'm starting to get pumped up! Lol. Too bad it's getting a V8 soon
Old 06-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
what's done to the motor, internal-wise? how well do you think it's going to handle the boost?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Awesome fabbing! I still want to hear how it sounds, though!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
what's done to the motor, internal-wise? how well do you think it's going to handle the boost?
Big valve head, 6K springs, EB 261C cam, ARP head studs, on cast pistons, and is fully balanced. I have no worries on motor until 300hp, although I will never be there on this motor. Only planning on running roughly 8 lbs of boost.

Originally Posted by Zelephant
Awesome fabbing! I still want to hear how it sounds, though!
If I had a good camera to take a sound clip, I would post it up. But I don't, and anything under good quality just distorts the sound and it sounds nothing like real life. It's pretty much a setup that is a once in a lifetime, and in person is the only real way to hear it.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:20 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
This is sick. Im diggin the 2 bike pipes, must sound gnarly.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Erik Beeman
If I had a good camera to take a sound clip, I would post it up. But I don't, and anything under good quality just distorts the sound and it sounds nothing like real life. It's pretty much a setup that is a once in a lifetime, and in person is the only real way to hear it.
I understand. If you ever get a chance to record it with a better camera, though, please post it up!

Quick Reply: My Supercharger build thread.