Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

mufflers. (ya, i searched)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mufflers. (ya, i searched)

mine is on its last legs. i read about toyota lifetime warranties on their mufflers. does that apply to the one that came with the vehicle when new? i'm looking for a muffler that is quiet and will last. a deep and/or loud sounding muffler would be cool for a while, but i'd get tired of it i think. anyways, it's also very possible that in the not-so-distant future, i may go for the header as well. as far as i can tell, my current exhaust setup is all original.

is there a muffler that would suit my current setup and still do nicely with the addition of a header. i guess i'm more concerned with the diameter of the pipes since they are 1-3/4" (i think) now and would probably be 2" or 2-1/2" with a header. do i need to concern myself with the cat at all if there is nothing wrong with it right now?

give me as much information as you got. i want to be edumucated

THANKS!
Old 06-27-2006, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't worry about the cat. You can get the OEM muffler from an auto store or online, and get the header and just take the pipe and get an adapter to form it to the stock.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

won't that limit the flow? i thought it should be the same diameter from front to back?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:37 PM

It will, but a bigger pipe may make it louder. and you think it would push the air out. but im not a certified physics or engineer.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm getting ready to do mine too. I just noticed yesterday that my stock muffler has a hole in it now.

I don't recall it being a lifetime muffler but I suppose its possible.

I'll probably ditch it anyway. I'm going to run 2.25-2.5" all the way to the muffler and ditch the cat. They don't do emmissions testing in my state so I am not going to even worry about it.

I've been hearing good things about the 60 series Flowmaster. Not too awfully loud but good decrease in back pressure. I think the biggest they make is 2.25" though, so if I go with one of those it will be 2.25 all the way out.

I'm thinking really hard about getting a header when I do it too. That will either be a Thorley or Pacesetter. If I can find a used pacesetter or get a good deal on one on ebay I'll go with one of those. Otherwise if I have to buy new it will be this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

The Thorley's are 2.25", the Pacesetters appear to be 2.5"...

Decisions, decisions, decisions...
Old 06-28-2006, 02:54 AM
Banned

You Should Go 2 1/4 In To The Flowmaster (i Used A 40 Series)and Then 2 1/2 Out Dude. It Will Sound Deep Like Mine But Not As Loud Since I Have Massive 3 Inch Pipes Out Of My Muffler. My Mileage Did Not Change Either.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by spirtlanimilbus
You Should Go 2 1/4 In To The Flowmaster (i Used A 40 Series)and Then 2 1/2 Out Dude. It Will Sound Deep Like Mine But Not As Loud Since I Have Massive 3 Inch Pipes Out Of My Muffler. My Mileage Did Not Change Either.

That's most likely what I'll do...

I'm thinking of rigging up my own exhaust. How hard can it really be?

I know this guy that owns a welder and they sell pre-bent pipes at Autozone...

The only hard part would be the axle but I can always just turn it down at the muffler until I save a little cash to get it done somewhere...

From what I've read though it seems like the 2.25" 60 series Flowmaster would be a better choice for me. I'm too friggin' old for a really lod 4 banger muffler.

Last edited by ovrrdrive; 06-28-2006 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, the 40 series is loud. Keep in mind that some back pressure is good. 2.25" should be about the right size for what youre looking for. Your best bet is an aftermarket muffler though, as opposed to the oem.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Good gosh, you changed your avatar!
You had that other one for eons.

I hear Walker makes a very good free flowing one that is not loud.

[off topic]When you get a chance, fire off a pic of the ARB[/off topic]
Old 07-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

what could i expect to pay for a muffler and installation?
Old 07-15-2006, 11:41 AM

it actually depends on which kind you get. i was quoted 180 for a flowmaster 60 series delta flow with a new 2.25 tailpipe.

i would say anywhere from 100-200 dollars depending on your preferences. best advice is to decide exactly what you want and call around and see who gives the best price but make sure their workmanship is good too.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if you want quite go with 24'' magnaflow
Old 07-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

I went thru the same research myself.. Here's what I'll be going with.
Pacesetter Header
Carsound Freeflow Cat
40 Series Flowmaster
All 2 1/4 Pipe...
Should be on soom.. I'll let you know how it comes out..
Old 07-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

any problems with just replacing the muffler and tailpipe for now? 2.25" (maybe 2.5") behind the muffler and all stock in front (short term). still no clue which muffler is best for me. lots of opinions out there (which i do appreciate) but no real muffler that seems to stand out.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sizzle,

best thing is to call a few muffler shops to see if thye have some vehicles that have the mufflers you are considering.

imho, the magnaflow 24" is probably the one id recommend based on user feedback ive seen over the years. throaty but not droan-y, esp at freeway speeds. its a tad but over stock, which is what i think the vast majority of people are looking for.

bob
Old 07-22-2006, 05:03 PM

do not get a flowmaster ,there junk ,waste of money ,hooker ,magna flow ,even a dynomax super turbo muffler outflows a flowmaster ,trust me they sound crappy and don't help ,also the toyota systems are only warrentied during replacement ,so if you go now and have it installed then it has a lifetime warrenty.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i like the way my 18'' magnaflow sounds..... i had a flowmaster delta 40 on my 22re with 2-1/4'' pipe from the cat back its sounded pretty mean
Old 07-22-2006, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sizzlechest - Carline in Maple Ridge quoted me $275-300 with a Magnaflow muffler, and pressure/crush bent aluminized steel all inclusive (plus tax). That could change though, and that was over the phone after I described what I wanted to them a little bit.

I haven't had the funds lately but when I do get them I'm gonna have mufflertech in Port Coquitlam do me a custom fully mandrel bent system with 2 1/4" 304 Stainless steel. The quoted me about $430 plus tax not including the muffler of my choise (which will be a Borla - so about $650 after tax probalby total).

Mufflertech on their website (http://www.muffler-tech.com) says they do also use aluminized steel. That might save you some money if you wanted to get that mandrel bent up in all 2" from your header, through your cat, and out. I would bet mandrel bending alone would make a differerence by at least a couple of horsepower and if you're spending a few hundred bucks why not top it up for another hundred or two if that's all it is to get it done properly?
Old 07-23-2006, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
I would bet mandrel bending alone would make a differerence by at least a couple of horsepower and if you're spending a few hundred bucks why not top it up for another hundred or two if that's all it is to get it done properly?

Do you really feel that a couple of horsepower (assuming you're right about the difference) is really worth a couple of hundred more dollars?

What difference would you expect to feel with a few more ponies?

You could always go with the next larger size pipe in the bends to offset the size loss if you think its important.

In my opinion, the only reason to go with mandrel bent pipes is for looks if you plan on showing off the exhaust system a lot. The extra power would show on a dyno I'm sure, but that's the only place.

You're not going to notice the horsepower gains on this engine until they get to around the 10% mark.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:53 AM

Walker makes a tailpipe (over the axle, around the spare and exiting behind the rear tire) for like $25.00. PN# 44124. Thats the hardest part of the system to fab up. I think it's 2.25". Been on my truck for five years.

Quick Reply: mufflers. (ya, i searched)