Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

MPGuino

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I totally understand the feeling you are going through. I'd probably (most definitely) be asking the same questions
Old 11-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You have done a great job on this. It is very close to what my city and highway driving is like. The way the tank is built on these, there is a 1 or 2 gallon hump at the top so the fuel has to come down before for the float starts to move. I can go about 100 miles until I hit the 3/4 mark. It drops fast after that.

I have had several trucks and you will be lucky to go 25 miles from 1/4 to E. I dont run that low as it puts stress on the fuel pump as fuel is a coolant to the pump.

The reason your gauge is acting up is most likely the float assembly is basically a varible resistor and the wire is nearly the same diameter of a hair and at the 1/4 to E marking on the float assembly the wire is worn thru due to the wiper rubbing it in two pieces.

Great job on your project!!!
Old 11-09-2014, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the props Terry!

I just had a really good test. This weekend I went from Los Angeles to San Diego to go visit one of my friends down there. I took the top off before leaving because it was a guaranteed win on the weather, though I knew I would take a bit of a hit with fuel efficiency. The whole time I did my best to compensate with as good of a hypermiling job I could muster. I think I did pretty well.

Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the mpguino when I got there, but I made an average of 23.5mpg! The best I've seen so far.

On the way home I took a different route, and ended up with close to the drive there, by the time I got home it was at 22.6mpg.

MPGuino-dxwom04.jpg

Still not bad considering the top was off, I think!

Anyway, hope you like the update. This was the first big solo highway mission in my truck. It was not without mishap... Earlier this morning I couldn't get the truck in gear, and discovered that all of my brake fluid had leaked out of the clutch master cylinder. I did get a new clutch mc when I was down there, but I ended up just filling up the reservoir and bleeding it at the slave to get home. I think it is probably a slow leak anyway. The stained mess underneath the clutch pedal confirms it is indeed the master cyl though Going to install the new one tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:38 PM

I've got some new calibration settings for y'all.

New Ms/Gallon setting.

MPGuino-cjd9sye.jpg

A 4.04% difference overall. This means I actually got closer to 24.4mpg on my way down to San Diego this past weekend- with the top off. Pretty darn smitten with those numbers looking at the odometer reading 491k Granted, I think there's no way it is the original engine. Besides a small starting issue I am having it runs like brand new.