86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

moisture under mat

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
moisture under mat

I'm trying to determine why moisture collects under the driver's side floormat in my 86 4runner. It doesn't matter what kind of floormat- rubber or carpet, it still collects. Hot weather or cold. This doesn't happen at all under the passengers side. It is not really causing a problem, but I'm sure over time mildew will collect and cause a musty smell.

Any ideas?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe use the washroom BEFORE getting in your truck..

I'm here all day.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carpet

Have you tried lifting the carpet up to see if theres anywhere that water maybe coming through? Another spot is up in the cowling under the wiper cowling piece where it meets the fender.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Matt16 can accept a gratuity or a tip... sometimes the whole thing too. (c'mon, you left that one open)

Seriously though... do you have sprinklers that spray on the truck? have you checked that the front window is not leaking? does your door seal actually seal?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:02 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
make sure both heater core clamps are secure in the engine bay, one was loose on mine and i had a gallon of coolant on my drivers side floor mat.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:08 AM

Well , it happens with or without rain. At first I thought it was condensation buildi g up, but the fact that it builds even during this season without the a/c leads me to believe otherwise. The fact that it collects a bit further back, as opposed to right under the accelerator makes me believe it is not the heater core leaking. I will double check the clamps though. I don't believe it is the seal of the wndshield or door, simply because this occurs in "dry" weather as well.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:26 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Your windshield is leaking or the clutch MC or a squirrel is living in your truck (had a friend who had a squirrel living in his camaro)

Old 11-26-2008, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x2. Check and make sure it's water and not brake fluid from the clutch master cylinder.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:31 AM

It is not oily so I do t think it is clutch fluid, nor have I experienced any issues with the clutch.. I will investigate all recommendations. Thanks fellas.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:13 AM

I had a similar problem. My 90 Toy pickup was soaked under the mat. Turns out there were two holes caused by rust on the firewall, water was leaking in above the breaker panel on the drivers side and above the computer on the passenger side. You'll have to take the lower dash panels off to check it out.
If your heater core was leaking, you'd smell coolant.
This leak was a real pain to find, I checked everything mentioned by the previous posters, it plagued me for about a year before I figured it out.
Patched it with pieces of plastic bag and JB Weld.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:05 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Originally Posted by GorgeRunner
I had a similar problem. My 90 Toy pickup was soaked under the mat. Turns out there were two holes caused by rust on the firewall, water was leaking in above the breaker panel on the drivers side and above the computer on the passenger side. You'll have to take the lower dash panels off to check it out.
If your heater core was leaking, you'd smell coolant.
This leak was a real pain to find, I checked everything mentioned by the previous posters, it plagued me for about a year before I figured it out.
Patched it with pieces of plastic bag and JB Weld.
my coolant leak started as small dampness but then escalated, i would still check for a small heater core inlet leak, as long as you can rule this out then you wont have a headache 2-4 months down the road. i couldnt actually smell the coolant until the carpet was soaked enough to tell what it was.