86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

might have to replace engine...please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
might have to replace engine...please help

in my 89 4runner/ 22re - my head gasket blew the other day and i took it to my mechanic. he's now telling me that the head has been serviced a couple too many times and they cant machine it anymore. now we can put a new header in there but he's saying that it's a risky move as the compression might be different then the bottom and it can blow the bottom or pistons out.

he's suggesting that i put a new engine it. he quoted me $2800 after labor. i have another mechanic (whom i trust big time, he's just a bit far and that's why i didnt drop my truck off w/ him in the first place) who said he can do it for $1800, which i think is very reasonable.

my questions are:

1. what do u think about the risk of putting a new header on and then potentially blowing out the pistons and bottom out?

2. is $1800 pretty good for a rebuilt engine + labor?

3. does anyone want to buy my truck from me for $1500
Old 08-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same concerns about my 4x4 . It had 250000 plus miles a blown head gasket but the truck seems to be solid ,so I had the head redone and did the labor myself and so far it is holding. It doesn't have many miles on the work. So to get to the point find a used head and get to work. You would at least have a running truck to sell if you decide not to keep it. Just be honest if you sell the truck and let the buyer decide if they want it.

Last edited by swampfox; 08-24-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Got any pics of it? Just in case you decide you don't want to bother?

Far as the head blowing up the old/tired block? Hmmmm, I know of around 3 people, right now, who've put in semi-performance heads, brand new, from Engnbldr, in their motors that both have 179K and 210K and 200K or so.... None were smoking, but had blown the HG's... so they've replaced the head with new and have NO ISSUES, AT ALL, after 3K and 5K and 20K between them. There are MANY threads on here like that.... "HG repair" or "HG" in the search will reveal many of them.

However, .... depending on how many miles this motor has on it.... it might be a good time to rebuild, anyhow. But I would NOT pay even 1800$ for this, because I WOULD DO IT MYSELF, ... which you might not want/be able to do(Yes, it's a fair deal if he's pulling the motor and putting it back in..... DEFINITELY fair!)... But you could tear it down yourself, put a rebuild kit in it, have it machined, and put in a BRAND NEW head, w/CAM for a total of around 1200$, including the block/crank machining. Maybe less if you just have the head rebuild/restored/checked by your trustworthy guy. The problem with having it done, KNou, is that you have no idea if they REALLLLLLLY took their time and you'd have to make sure on the parts they used, etc. Over a year ago, I'd never torn into one of these, too deep, and just recently, I swapped in the second motor, because the first machinist FUBAR'D my orig. block, head, cam, crank,....pretty much everything, including the cracking of my blocks timing cover face area. HOWEVER, again, .... if this guy is someone you really trust, and for that deal? Then it's on him, should anything go wrong, ya know?

If you go the route of having the head re-done, just have the guy you trust re-work the head, new exhaust valves(25-30$..... All new valves, 58$ from engnbldr, stock)... have him do a valve job(should be around 80-200$ to either 'get it workable' or 'fully rebuild it)..... Then get a HG, slap it back in, maybe replace the timing kit for another 100-something? while you're in there(steel guide, new H20 and Oil Pumps) and be done with it for around 200-350$. At least then, you'll KNOW you can sell it, as said, 'as a running rig'... or you can drive it till it's time to rebuild the bottom end?

Just have to weigh this out, all your options/obstacles(do you have/can you get a hoist, stand/ do yo u have space to do this?, etc.).... If not, 1800$ IF HE'S removing it and installing it is very decent for a full rebuild, IMHO. Remember, ...if you just need to do the head, fully flush out the block, maybe the timing kit..... you don't NEED a hoist or engine stand.... You just need a few tools, most of which you could borrow from a store, and time, and space to park it and tear into it.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had nearly the same dilemma when my head gasket blew on my 22re.
I was thinking about putting a brand new head or at least an overhauled one on my old tired block.
The mechanic that I talked to said that if you can catch a fingernail on the ridge inside the cylinder, the motor is just about toast.
If you can just barely catch your name, you'll be fine for a while but don't put an overhauled or new head on it.
If you can't feel anything with your fingernail, have at 'er, put a new head on it. It's good to go.

I could just barely catch a fingernail on the cylinder wall, so I just decked the head (machined it flat) and slapped a new head gasket in there, plus some new head bolts and gaskets all around.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:42 PM

thanks guys...been a stressful/whirlwind of a day.

unfortunately i dont have any pictures. my mechanic says the engine is in pretty bad shape. he said the guy who did the rebuild before did a bad job.

i've decided to just go ahead and do the rebuild. i would love to do it myself but i live in an apt with barely the tools to get it done nor do i have the space. if i had a garage or even a driveway, i would be all over it.

want to do me a favor chefyota? i'm in venice, ill tow it to you tomorrow haha. jk.

thanks for the help guys. i'm hoping this is the right decision.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 PM

1800$ for him to pull it, rebuild it, reinstall and fire it up? YOU MADE THE RIGHT DECISION, granting he doesn't do a 'just what's needed' kind of half way job, ya know?

Venice, eh? lol. I'm from Venice,.... 5th and Indiana, Brooks near circle, ..... all over SM,lol. "S.T. in the place to BE!" lol. Had Beowulf play on our lawns, Chili Pep's, S.T., ...... holes all over my house on 5th! lol.

Anyway, ....keep in touch, man... seriously, if I CAN HELP< I WILL! Ask around, I've done it many times, cuz I ENJOY HELPING! lol. And, honest, people helped me!

In all honesty, I don't have time to rebuild an engine in the time you'd need it, ya know? But I do have a few parts you might need..... maybe could help you hands on in the future if you need it(TONS of tools, decent ability, lol).... Let me know

Mark
Old 08-25-2011, 06:24 AM

mark - i really appreciate the offer. since i'm dropping $1800 on rebuilding this engine, i dont want to pay for ANYTHING on it for awhile so i might take you up on help & to hear more old venice stories. thanks again...i'll give an update when all is done.

-kong
Old 08-25-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by KNou
mark - i really appreciate the offer. since i'm dropping $1800 on rebuilding this engine, i dont want to pay for ANYTHING on it for awhile so i might take you up on help & to hear more old venice stories. thanks again...i'll give an update when all is done.

-kong
Sickkkkkkkk! lol. A fresh heartbeat is on the way!

Best wishes, ... and if you don't mind, can you tell me who is going to be doing the motor? (If you'd rather say in private, great, but I have a SERIOUS warning to give you on one in particular, ..FOR SURE! lol)
Old 08-25-2011, 09:02 AM

pm sent...thanks for the lookout!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry about your truck. Living in an Apt has it disadvantages.
I'm doing 3.4 swap after my HG blew. It certainly helped that I have a garage.
My wife and I go to Venice for Italian food at C & O.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:36 AM

Check out Sunwest on complete engines.http://www.sunwestautomotiveengines.com/lb-toyota.html
Old 08-25-2011, 01:42 PM

love c&o!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:42 PM

iselloil thanks for the link. i'm originally from richmond va! got mad love the 804 but the weather in southern cali is hard to top...
Old 08-25-2011, 05:43 PM

Ever want a few more ponies out of your 22re? Now's the time to do something like an exhaust header, improved head/cam combination.. I'd order an enginebuilder street/RV head & a 268 cam, you'll need new rocker arms, springs, etc as well.

http://engnbldr.com/head_shop.htm