86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

metra power antenna problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
metra power antenna problem

I have a 95 4runner, the power antenna went out. Since I couldn't find a replacement antenna locally I bought a Metra antenna 44-PW22. Had to make a few modifications to get it to fit but I got it in there. Here's the problem, it doesn't go up or down when wired as instructions recommend. But if I piggyback 12 volts to the antenna power wire it will power up and down but it is out of phase. That is, the antenna goes up when the radio is turned off and down when the radio is turned on??
Old 09-14-2011, 08:26 AM

Buy the right antenna...problem solved.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. What is your recommendation o-wise-one? I'm $70 into this and don't want to get any deeper for what seems to be a simple, though beyond my abilities, wiring problem.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:57 AM

My recommendation would be to install the correct antenna, not some junk universal aftermarket unit.

1 - based on the wiring schematic here...were you applying 12vdc to the blue 'antenna' wire or the red 'power' wire? Or both?

2 - does your stereo's antenna output provide 12vdc or ground?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 AM

I have found out that the factory has a relay, and so does the Metra antenna. So apparently what I am doing is first turning on one relay which turns on a second relay and the antenna motor does the opposite of what I desire. So I need to figure out how to bypass one or the other relays.

BTW, BMCEL, you are not helpful. So I would prefer that someone else reply that has a suggestion other than get the proper antenna.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by vj95
BTW, BMCEL, you are not helpful. So I would prefer that someone else reply that has a suggestion other than get the proper antenna.
Originally Posted by bmcel
1 - based on the wiring schematic here...were you applying 12vdc to the blue 'antenna' wire or the red 'power' wire? Or both?

2 - does your stereo's antenna output provide 12vdc or ground?
First off, you asked for my recommendation and you got it. Second, if you can't answer the questions above, there is nothing I can do to help. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:50 PM

The answer to the first question is embedded in my first post.

Originally Posted by vj95
I have a 95 4runner, the power antenna went out. Since I couldn't find a replacement antenna locally I bought a Metra antenna 44-PW22. Had to make a few modifications to get it to fit but I got it in there. Here's the problem, it doesn't go up or down when wired as instructions recommend. But if I piggyback 12 volts to the antenna power wire it will power up and down but it is out of phase. That is, the antenna goes up when the radio is turned off and down when the radio is turned on??
Second question is no. As implied by the embedded statement in the first post.

The antenna works fine, its the fact that I cannot get it to go up or down when I turn the stereo on or off.

There are two relays, one turns on the motor, to cause the antenna to go up, then the other relay turns it off causing the motor to pull the antenna down. The when I turn the stereo off one of the relays commands the relay to go down and the other commands the relay to go up.

My only real question now is which wires on the toyota relay do I cut to bypass that Toyota relay.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by bmcel
Buy the right antenna...problem solved.
I agree with VJ, this is not at all a helpful response and certainly not in the spirit of this forum. I am not trying to flame or anything, but if your reply does not directly answer the question at hand then why post at all (supportive comments and shenanigans aside). I didn't see anywhere in his post where it was asked if the antennae of choice was the "right" one.

BESIDES, where would this forum or Toyota owners/aftermarket in general be if we didn't make things work that weren't originally intended for our vehicles lol

Last edited by Webbuff; 09-14-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Webbuff
I agree with VJ, this is not at all a helpful response and certainly not in the spirit of this forum. I am not trying to flame or anything, but if your reply does not directly answer the question at hand then why post at all (supportive comments and shenanigans aside). I didn't see anywhere in his post where it was asked if the antennae of choice was the "right" one.

BESIDES, where would this forum or Toyota owners/aftermarket in general be if we didn't make things work that weren't originally intended for our vehicles lol
I may be way out of line here but I don't see how recommending the correct replacement part as a solution to the problem at hand is in any way 'not in the spirit of this forum'.

With that said, when VJ indicated this was not what he wanted to do I asked two specific questions:

Question 1 asked if voltage was applied to the blue 'antenna' wire or the red 'power' wire (as labeled in the link I posted above). Answer was '12 volts to the antenna power wire'. I could be crazy but that doesn't make sense to me.

Question 2 asked if the stereo's antenna output was 12vdc or ground. Answer was 'no'. Again, that doesn't make sense to me.

Now, with all that said, I'm not trying to be an asshole...I'm more than willing to help, despite the flaming, but I need some clarification so I can wrap my head around the wiring without actually seeing it. I think VJ is on to something with the redundant relays...there is a FSM for '90-'95 4runners in the link in my sig. I don't have time to look through it right now but all the wiring info should be in there.

I'll shut up now...

Last edited by BMcEL; 09-14-2011 at 03:37 PM.