Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Max wheel offset for toy axles

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max wheel offset for toy axles

Lots of opinions about this but can't find a good thread here on the subject.
I've got some BJ60 axles under my v8, bobbed, 95 runner on 40x15, weighs about 4500lbs. Modified the frame substantially for tire clearance, but it just wasn't enough, but I ran out of room. In the front, I hit my steering box, and even if I went with a reverse pitman, I'd still hit the leafs. I could link it but that doesn't solve the problem in the rear. In the rear, on hard articulation, tire sidewall contacts the frame. This is a big ˟˟˟˟in' problem as it means I can't run chains, and chains are absolutely necessary where we wheel in the winter.

I'm running 15x10 wheels with I believe 3.5-4"" BS and it's just not enough. I think a 1" spacer would solve the problem for now, until I have time to widen both axles (the axles I JUST BUILT... goddamnit).

But, what sorta offset can the bearings and trunions deal with? I suspect in the rear, going to 2.5-2" shouldn't be a big problem, and it would allow me to run chains on the back. Not ideal, but at least it's something. But what about the front? Will the front survive that sorta offset? I see guys in mini trucks running IFS hubs with 3" spacers and claiming it's fine, but most of the toy guys in the area are ˟˟˟˟ing retarded, and they think everything is fine when their wheels are constantly falling off and they can't turn.
I've got a 1.5" ram to help deal with steering (though it's probably not going to be quite enough with an even larger scrub radius).

Who's actually running 2.5" or less BS on 40's for a few years? How's it hold up? What lets loose first? Might I get away with the 2" BS on the rear fairly safely? How about the front?

Last edited by Ben Feral Selinger; 12-01-2016 at 11:23 AM.