Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Manual hub convert, cv too short

Old 04-12-2006, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual hub convert, cv too short

Has anybody had this problem when changing from add to manual hubs. As you can see, the cv is inside the hub body and doesn't stick out to screw in the center bolt w/ washer. The hub is on all the way. I did a similar post in the general sect. but I think the problem may be specific to this year? Its a 94 p/up and the hubs are superwinches. All the input will help. Thanks
Old 04-12-2006, 11:07 PM

My warns went on smoothly, dont remeber the procedure or what it looked like but I dont think I had the problem..sorry...
Old 04-13-2006, 03:44 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
(Can't see the pic - those photobucket pics don't get past the security on any of my computers) BUT - done a million Aisin installs, those should be the same - It's long enough. Put the old bolt partway back in the end of it, grab it with something (vice grip or claw hamer works well) and pull, then put the snap ring in. If it really isn't long enough, then you may have the wrong hub housing. Come to think of it, the hub housing has nothing to do with it. It has to be long enough, you just don't have it pushed all the way through.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 04-13-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
flamed: thats usually how i do it to. but this one there looks to be less then 1/4 inch sticking out....
Old 04-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
here's hosted on my site. now you shoudl see it.

when i installed my asian's i had no problem like this.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

This might be a stupid question, but is your c-clip still on the shaft? It seems like if the c-clip was on and and the hub is fully seated that there shouldn't be a problem. I had no problems putting my aisins on, so I really can't help too much.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:30 PM

The c clip is on along with the spacer. When I take off the hub bodies, and replace them with the add flange, the cv sticks out about a 1/4 of an inch which works ok. The hub body on the man hubs are a little thicker than those on the add flange, which is why I think this is happening. Has no one else had this problem, and used spacers or something to correct it? Thanks so far for all the input.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by wailukutoy
The c clip is on along with the spacer. When I take off the hub bodies, and replace them with the add flange, the cv sticks out about a 1/4 of an inch which works ok. The hub body on the man hubs are a little thicker than those on the add flange, which is why I think this is happening. Has no one else had this problem, and used spacers or something to correct it? Thanks so far for all the input.

I dont remember a spacer, what is it there for? Try to get a set of Warn install instructinons, differnt hub but same principle.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:38 PM

Well I was thinking about using a spacer to put between the end of the cv and the end screw, so that the washer on the screw will sit flat on the spacer, instead of being bent into the gap created by the short cv and hub body spline.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:47 PM

If I understand, you are wanting to remove the locking hubs (I assume temporarily) and put the screw and washer back onto the end of the axle stub so you can drive it.
It "looks" to me like the Warn adapter just won't allow that. Perhaps the adapter needs to come off too and the original fixed drive flange put back on?
(I would bet the reason you aren't getting much helpful feedback is because it would be uncommon for anyone to do that... )
Old 04-17-2006, 10:01 PM

Flamed, I was actually trying to find a way to fix this short cv axle problem so that I could use the hubs, so I didn't have to take them off. What is the warn adapter and what does it do? Theses are Superwinch hubs, but I'm sure they are basically the same as the Warns. I am just asking this because I actually found out that mile marker has a "stop plug" that acts as a spacer, and an extended cv end bolt which is supposed to be used if your "cv shaft does not extend beyond the hub body". This was never mentioned with my hubs, and I actually had to call mile marker to have them dig this info up. They will however be sending me these parts. I hope to get them soon and see if that fixes my problems. Is the Warn adapter similar to Superwinch's stop plug and extended bolt? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:07 AM

I dont know of a warn adapter, nor do I remember having to use one. The only adapeter would be if you were removing auto hubs, not ADD.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by wailukutoy
Flamed, I was actually trying to find a way to fix this short cv axle problem so that I could use the hubs, so I didn't have to take them off. What is the warn adapter and what does it do? Theses are Superwinch hubs, but I'm sure they are basically the same as the Warns. I am just asking this because I actually found out that mile marker has a "stop plug" that acts as a spacer, and an extended cv end bolt which is supposed to be used if your "cv shaft does not extend beyond the hub body". This was never mentioned with my hubs, and I actually had to call mile marker to have them dig this info up. They will however be sending me these parts. I hope to get them soon and see if that fixes my problems. Is the Warn adapter similar to Superwinch's stop plug and extended bolt? Thanks for the help.
I mispoke - when I typed "Warn" I meant "whatever that is in that picture." But I see you got it solved, and I will (try to) remember that detail in case it's needed in the future. The only time I ever installed Warns was back around 1986 or so (many many beers ago,) when the auto hubs blew on my fathers 85 Xtracab, and as I remember it they bolted on in seconds, exactly the way Aisins would bolt on.

Never had any problem on any of the others, because I've always put Aisins on.

I have a set of Aisin's for 86-95 I'd sell if anyone wants em.