Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Manual or auto?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual or auto?

Gentleman, My automatic just ate the dust and I am trying to decide whether to replace it or swap for a manual.

I know a lot of ppl have done the auto/manual swap, but I need reasons why this is WAY better for the trails.

All thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
First off, those gears that you need in your sig will not be needed quite as quickly with the lower gearing of the MT.

You WILL see an increase in MPG with the MT.

The low range is much lower than the auto and you will have more gearing underneath it.

If your are good with a clutch and manual transmimssion then you will be fine offroad.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The 22RE is a dog with an automatic transmission (thats my opinion), with a 5 speed manual you have more power and more control over engine rpm and shifting when needed, like when your wheeling. I hope that makes sense.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just noticed in your signature that you have Bilstein Stocks ?, what exactly is that and how do they work ???.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 PM

real tough queston for me as ive wheeled both auto and manual. i definitely love the feel of a stick for control of speed downhill, and gear selection.. but if you've ever stalled on a hillslimb with a stick then you totally appreciate the auto for getting going again with limited rollback.. the playing in mud seems better with an auto for me because the shift between reverse and first is smooth.. happy hunting..have fun make friends
Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
First off, those gears that you need in your sig will not be needed quite as quickly with the lower gearing of the MT.
The gearing of the auto is actually lower.

Originally Posted by 881stgenrunner

You WILL see an increase in MPG with the MT.
This is true, but I average 16-18 with 33" tires, all while climbing the passes of Colorado. Not too shabby.

The low range is much lower than the auto and you will have more gearing underneath it.
The low range of a manual is 2.28:1, the auto is 2.66:1. Plus you get the torque converter, which is a torque multiplier when it's not locked up(when you are accelerating).

If your are good with a clutch and manual transmimssion then you will be fine offroad.
True, but the auto is nice. I love mine. You can gas and brake at the same time, with no fear of stalling. And now, with the inchworm gear adapter you can get your gearing options.

Originally Posted by myyota
The 22RE is a dog with an automatic transmission (thats my opinion),
It is a bit of a dog, but with a little more gearing, it's nothing you can't overcome.

with a 5 speed manual you have more power and more control over engine rpm and shifting when needed, like when your wheeling. I hope that makes sense.
There are ways around the shift points. There is a kit that allows you to pick when it shifts, and what gear (meaning you can start in second gear, if you so desire).

Most people will go with the auto for offroad only driving. I find that the transmission is tolerable on the streets. I like not having to worry about stalling when I am on an obstacle, and the best part of wheeling the auto is getting right up to an obstacle and gassing it over, not having to worry about slipping the clutch and all. Hills are easier too.

Best of all, the auto isn't as hard on parts.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I vote get a manual. With autos, you are losing abour 15-20% of power to the rear wheels. I wouldnt throw in the "stalling offroad" thing unless you are always offroading on hard/steep trails.

If you do get a manual, get a Marlin Crawler clutch, Ive got 50 miles on mine and I love it so much.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:15 PM

Manual.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
<SNIP>With autos, you are losing abour 15-20% of power to the rear wheels.<SNIP>.
Prove it....

Fred
Old 07-07-2009, 08:16 PM

I wouldnt throw in the "stalling offroad" thing unless you are always offroading on hard/steep trails.
Or are on rocks. Obstacles like this become more difficult, doable but more difficult.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:16 PM

Auto trannies are responsible for the wussification of America. Nuff said.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Prove it....

Fred
Watch horsepower tv. They say it all the time. Every mechanic ive talked to has said that to me. My friends dad was a diesel mechanic for 40somethin years and he says that.

X2 on the auto being the wossification of america
Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm... interesting question... manual or auto....
A Buick GNx with automatic (the only option) is quicker in a 1/4 mile than the same year Corvette with stick and get's better mileage.
My 84 Chrysler Laser Turbo automatic was quicker than an 85 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z stick (5-speed) from 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Daytona had a higher top speed though.
International, Ford and GM tend to ship their heavy general class trucks (25000# GVWR or less) with automatics as well.

Driveablility over widely varying conditions: automatic. You can't put a stick in gear, let the clutch out and roll backwards- it stalls. You can however put an automatic in D, or 2 or 1 and roll backwards without stalling and then press the gas pedal and the vehicle (hopefully) starts moving forward. What hurts traction with a stick will hurt traction with an auto but an auto can be more subtle (depends on your left foot) applying torque to the surface.

90% of hard-parts failure is due to driveline shock- popping a clutch for instance. The sudden application of torque to the driveline is what breaks things. An automatic has a nearly seamless application of torque to the driveline. Even sudden application of the go-fast pedal takes a few moments to build up through the torque converter before things start moving. That delay means power is applied "fluidly" (pun intended) and nothing is hit with with a sudden torque.

An automatic trans can do most everything you do with your foot and hand, and do it more smoothly, and by design will not apply sudden torque to anything causing it to break. Our compromises are decided by things like final drive, gear ratios, how many gears, and that damned transfer case.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X2 on the auto being the wossification of america
That's kind of funny to read considering Ferrari, Lamborghini and others like Subaru and Mitsubishi... oh you mean Nissan / Infinity and Toyota / Lexus and others... are giving 'paddle' shifting on the steering wheel or 'slap stick' shifters on the console?

The auto may have been the wussifying thing but technology has brought the auto to the forefront to the point it works better than a manual gearbox. Go look at GTP and GTU racing and see how many vehicles use a manual clutch and gear selector... go on... do it.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 PM

I have driven both off road with stock gears with the auto you never stall and you have more control crawling over rocks with out smelling the burn. The manual is nice for going down steep hills, the auto seemed to pick up speed easier.
I like my manual better for street driving which is just what I like no real advantage.
I now have 4.7 in my case so stalling is not a problem off road anymore and I am sure with a inchworm adapter and 4.7 gears a auto would be very nice.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:12 AM

I just noticed in your signature that you have Bilstein Stocks ?, what exactly is that and how do they work ???.
I have the HD models and they work great. They're similiar to a rancho or pro comp. They perform insanely awesome though. I have had ranchos that went bad after only 2 years. These shocks make your street ride great and flex like crazy.

Thanks for the input on this matter guys. If I did stick with the auto, is there options for dual t-cases or modifying my set-up at all for better offroading ability.

Note: this 4runner is strictly offroad from now on (will be driving on street to get there though).
Old 07-08-2009, 09:04 AM

IWG makes an adapter to mate the auto trans to gear driven cases, then you can get a doubler from there.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reduction of mechanical shock in the driveline is the best argument for the auto trans. The best argument against them is that autos can completely fail without warning.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:35 PM

Old 07-09-2009, 07:05 PM

I have read this thread and have come to the conclusion that is simply boils down to what you like, and feel comfortable with. I love my 5 speed. Will not (if I can help it) drive an auto for the rest of my life. But I am not going to try and brow-beat somebody into that line of thinking. If you like auto, stay with it.

Quick Reply: Manual or auto?