Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Machine Shop Needed for 1989 4Runner v6 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Machine Shop Needed for 1989 4Runner v6 3.0

Hey all, I'm in need of a machine shop that'll bore out my 3vze from my first gen (piston slap and overall 35yo original pistons and rods tiredness). I contacted my local shops and one doesn't have the tooling for it and the other has a several month lead time. I'm in the northern California area, Santa Cruz specifically. If anyone knows shops out this way that might be more available and capable please drop some advice. I'm also open to shipping to a Toyota specific shop just to get it done quicker if that's what it takes. I'd love to have this thing back up and running by the summer months. Before people shout it in the comments, I cant totally afford a 5vze swap. It's a little more work than I'm ready to tackle right now especially considering my block is ready to go at basically a moment's notice. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 05-19-2024, 04:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hopefully you have found something by now.

In case you haven't, check with Yota 1 Performance in Burbank. It looks like they are about 2 1/2 hours from you. I don't have any personal experience with them, but "Timmy the Toolman" on Youtube speaks highly of them, and used on of their rebuilt engines in a project on his channel.

Good luck.
Old 05-26-2024, 07:59 AM
YT Community Team

Received 868 Likes on 615 Posts
Burbank would be a haul from Santa Cruz, 5-6 hours depending on traffic.(i'm halfway between)
One thought is you might contact Marlin Crawler in Fresno and ask who they might recommend.
I'd call rather than email, you get more info by the tone of the words, than the words themselves.

Another good source of recommendation would be your local Toyota dealer. While machine work isn't as common as it once was, they still have work requiring it. The parts or service manager should be able to give you decent input on who to use, or who to steer away from

Last edited by Jimkola; 05-27-2024 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-26-2024, 02:13 PM

Received 643 Likes on 519 Posts
Yeah, I would say 5-6 hours is a pretty conservative estimate. Santa Cruz is only about an hour and 1/2 from Redwood City, and it's a 12 hour run from San Diego to Redwood City, maybe an hour 1/2 San Diego to El Toro.. I know, I grew up in Woodside, and used make the run from Yuma to Woodside for long weekends to see my parents when I was stationed in Yuma. Run I-8 Yuma to San Diego, then up on I-5 San Diego to the Bay Area on my bike. It's a long ride, but the California weather makes it very pleasant. Except the few times it rained. Not so fun at all.
Anywho, I always stopped in Santa Cruz for fuel for the bike and myself both So I am pretty familiar with the timing for the different stages from place to place. It was a lot easier when I was stationed at El Toro, in Santa Anna.

Loooong time ago, but the distances haven't changed at all...
Pat☺