Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lunch box or Selectable Locker

Old 01-13-2013, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunch box or Selectable Locker

I'm going to be re gearing soon and wanted some opinions on whether to wait for the money to buy a selectable style locker or just buy an auto locker for the rear. I know each has pros and cons but wanted some opinions on both (maintenance if any, reliability, and streetability), its my DD/wheeler so I would like it to be tolerable on the street. Also once I do SAS I'll most likely be going 35's for rubber but that wont be for awhile.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:02 PM

I personally would never get an auto locker for a DD. If you have roughly $1,500, I would say get an ARB with a compressor but if you only have a few hundred, an LSD.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:47 PM

dont do lunch box. you can get a Eaton e-locker (i think) for around 600$, i personally think ARBS are over priced. or get an auburn (Eaton?) LSD, those are popular with the 4x4 crowd. i think eaton makes auburn LSD's.....not sure. i know eaton makes the detroit trutrack.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:48 PM

check check....profile picture......

didnt work? nevermind. it works now

Last edited by maachine; 01-13-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't believe that Eaton makes an elocker for Toyotas. The elocker for Toyotas is only the Toyota elocker, available in Tacomas and Runners after something like '96 or '98. You can find them online sometimes, either brand new from Marlin or used on Craigslist or eBay. They usually run less than an ARB, can't really say much about a reliability comparison, or ease of install, cause I have no experience with ARB's. only maintenance ie had to do on my retrofitted elocker was to wipe some grease off the electrical contacts in the motor so it would work again. They're a pretty simple design. If you've got an angle grinder, a drill, a tap, and a decent set of tools, you can install a Toy elocker. I would highly suggest a selectable if you can afford it.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:54 PM

Ox makes cable actuated lockers. not sure if they make one for toyota's or not. didnt bother looking it up.
http://www.ox-usa.com/ox/

edit....nevermind, they dont. sorry for the false info

Last edited by maachine; 01-13-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM

i run aussies front and rear for my daily and unless you make a tight u turn its fine. really dont even notice unless your offroad. if its an option, id still go selectable though.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:17 PM

I switched from a Aussie to a Detroit rear....sooooo glad I did.

Lunch box is fine for the front, but I would never recommend one for the rear.

trust me...you will thank me later
Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 AM

Thanks guys for all the input, I've never really considered an LSD some guys on here say they'd rather stick with an open carrier , I have no experience with either but my buddy in his tundra says he likes it so I'll look into that. ARB's are expensive but a lot of the time good ˟˟˟˟ isn't cheap I like the retro fit e-locker idea, how hard is the install?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Want the best? ARB. I got 2 that are almost 10 years old and still work flawlessly.

Retrofitting an elocker runs your axle housing IMO.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 AM

How does it ruin your a axle ?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It ruins the axle in that it can only be used with an elocker from then on, can't switch to a regular open carrier or anything if you break the elocker carrier. If you want to have a trail spare, it's gotta be an elocker. I've heard of a few people having bad luck with the ARB carriers or the air lines, but I'd bet most all of those are some sort of install error rather than an actual problem with the product. If I had the money, I would go ARB, but for me not wheeling as hard as someone like Brian or the Colorado guys, the elocker is great.

UF, for the elocker retrofit, search "elocker retrofit" and you'll get way better information and some pictures that detail what's needed.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Want the best? ARB. I got 2 that are almost 10 years old and still work flawlessly.

Retrofitting an elocker runs your axle housing IMO.

:wabbit2:
How about Yukon's zip locker its quiet a bit cheaper but pretty much the same thing right?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the Detroit in the rear of mine is great. never have to worry about turning it on, never have to worry about cable jaming, or air line leaking.

just works no thinking about it.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 PM

just get some yukon grizzlys. if my aussies ever fail, thats what im getting.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by snap-on
the Detroit in the rear of mine is great. never have to worry about turning it on, never have to worry about cable jaming, or air line leaking.

just works no thinking about it.
Originally Posted by yodafan93
just get some yukon grizzlys. if my aussies ever fail, thats what im getting.
How do you guys like the auto lockers on the road were they hard to get used to? I hear they've got better with the engage/disengage action. I was hoping to find someone around my neck of the woods with an auto locker so that i can have a first hand experience with one but no go with that plan. An auto locker was what I originally wanted to go with due to the ass end of our trucks being so light Oregon is pretty wet and seems like every now and again I break the rears loose with minimal effort.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i dont like my rear aussie auto locker for daily driving. but its worth it at only 300 dollars and it's definitely worth it off the pavement. When I first installed it trails i used to do in 4wd with no locker i went back and did in 2wd lo with the locker with no problem.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 PM

Auto lockers on a dd is ok. Lots of noise and youll neex to make change ur driving style.so you float around corners. Not on the gas but not engine braking either. Both will engage the lunch box style lockers.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
No experience with it, but I've heard the Grizzly is one of the better lunchbox lockers. Marlin had them on sale a while back; not sure if they still are....
Old 01-15-2013, 09:08 AM

i have been saving up for an arb but i think i might go with the autolocker too, my truck is a daily driver and one of my bosses he gots an older bronco he uses for offroading/DD and he gots aussie auto lockers in front and rear and says there is no difference even in snow. But when he let me drive it once i felt that it does fish tail a little when your on ice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lunch box or Selectable Locker