86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Loose Timing Chain Suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose Timing Chain Suddenly

I have a 1993 22RE that I rebuilt last May usind engnbldr's parts including a steel timing chain guide. I have put about 12000 miles on it without incident other than the typical valve adjustment issue millions seem to have. The rebuilds was a lower end rebuild. I did not rebuild the head.

My recent dilema started last night. All of a sudden I started getting a loud noise that sounded like a timing chain guide had broken causing the chain to rub on the cover. I removed the rocker cover to inspect. Both guides were fully intact. However, the chain is extremely loose on the drivers side while tight on the passenger side. You can see where the chain hit the mounting bolt for the drivers side guide.

I also stuck a long screwdriver down onto the tensioner and was able to move it in and watch it come back out so that appears to be functioning correctly as well.

I measured the camshaft gear with the chain on and it is well within spec. I can't check the lower gear or the chain length until I take it completey apart.

I haven't set it to TDC to check the timing marks yet since I ran out of time. But it still seems to run fine so I have no reason to think it jumped a tooth, at least not yet. My only other though is that the chain somehow stretched.

Anyone else have this issue or any thoughts? I will be checking the timing marks tonight. I am going to post this on YT and FS for those of you who visit there as well.

Thanks for any help you can offer.