86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking For Alternatives to The 3VZE Exhaust Crossover Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 04:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Looking For Alternatives to The 3VZE Exhaust Crossover Pipe

I've been thinking about trying to modify a passenger side manifold to install on the driver's side. Looking at the factory parts, I noticed that the I. D. of the factory crossover pipe is 1-1/2" and the outlet on the passenger side manifold is also 1-1/2". I might be able to hog it out to 1-3/4". If I ran a 1-3/4" downpipe from each manifold and merged them just before the catalytic converter into a 2-1/4" "cat and back" system using mandrel bend tubing, would I see enough gains to make it worthwhile? By gains I mean, reduced engine heat, better fuel economy and a small gain in power (not expecting much of that ;-) .
Old 06-05-2017, 06:18 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
If you're planning on running factory manifolds, you could simply just fabricate a block off plate for the connection tube on the driver side manifold, and just run tubing from each manifold, create a custom y-pipe down lower at the transmission and run the catalytic converter there.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
If you're planning on running factory manifolds, you could simply just fabricate a block off plate for the connection tube on the driver side manifold, and just run tubing from each manifold, create a custom y-pipe down lower at the transmission and run the catalytic converter there.
Yes, I am seeing that the options are pretty much limited to an expensive header or a y-pipe setup with the stock manifolds. The outlet on the passenger side manifold is only 1.5" in diameter. So, now I am trying to figure out what size pipes to run from the manifolds to the Y (merge).
Old 06-07-2017, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or, you could wrap the crossover really good and insulate it to death and save your money. Gains wont really be apparent anyway.