Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Looking at a '92

Old 10-13-2007, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at a '92

Ok, Here's the deal. there is a lady at my office that her husband has this 92 4Runner to sell. I'd like some opinions please.

The facts as I know them: 1992 V6 SR5 5 speed, Blue with pre requisite clear coat failure on top of roof and hood. Not bad on fenders.

Engine replaced 14K ago with wrecking yard engine that had ~75K. Everything works, it runs a little rough but it has sat for a while....

Why has it sat for a while?

Her husband came home with an elk in the back of it and after he finished unloading the quarters, but before he had a chance to clean the cargo area fully, he slipped and broke his femur. so the truck sat for three months (in a mild winter) before he got around to driving again and when he went to drive it....whammo, he was reminded of the cleaning that was needed so he pulled the cargo carpet out and tossed it. His wife and kids won't drive it as they are all prissy girls and think it is tainted now and he can't really drive a clutch anymore as it was his left leg. I asked the lady at work about the runner in thier driveway one day and she said "Do you want it?" I looked at the truck and I did not notice anything other than a "dirty" smell that I think a good professional steam cleaning should take care of.

He said he would let me have it for a grand. I think that is a pretty good price.

It needs:

A good cleaning.
A battery
I'm thinking a fuel filter and new gas and of course any baselining of fluids.
Maybe due for a timing belt.

I am an aircraft mechanic and can do any mechanical needs myself so I'd save money there.

What say you? are there any "trouble spots" (other than HG) to look at? It is an Arizona truck so no rust problems here. Is there a tell tale way to find out if the HG's were done? How do they typically fail (internal or external)?

I'm guessing the timing belt is extremely easy as I can't find a how to on any of the boards I visit (Mud, ExpeditionPortal, here).

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by MoGas; 10-13-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I have a 92 pickup 3.0 5 speed. My buddy has a 93 4Runner 3.0 5speed. I have 205,000 miles on my truck and it runs great. I would say that a grand is a steal for a motor with those miles. he transmissions are near indesructible and all Toyotas are built very well in general. i would say go for it.

As far as the head gaskets, you can go up to any dealership and give them the VIN and they'll be able to tell you if and when they were done. The headgaskets usually fail at the #6 cylinder due to excessive heat from the ehaust mainfold. Also, having aluminum heads/ cast iron black doesn't help either as the aluminum heads expand at a different rate and slide across the head gaskets.

Last edited by nix4x4; 10-13-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:54 PM

I'm hoping the HG's weren't replaced for the truck VIN, though I wonder if they check the engine # since in this case the engine is from a donor vehicle.

Dave
Old 10-13-2007, 03:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, id say a grand is good.

how many miles are on it?

at autopartswarehouse.com i saw some rubberized floormats for the back you might wanna look into.

yeah, what nix said, the gaskets blow from heat...

okay, but you said the engine was replaced? is it still the 3.0 engine? or was it swapped for the 3.4?

any goodies like shocks or springs, sound system, rims/tires?

a stem cleaning and fabreeze are going to be your best friend.. lol tell them you killed someone a long time ago and see what they say. haha jk
Old 10-13-2007, 03:04 PM

It's just another 3.0.

I seem to remember that it has 160k on the clock.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:38 PM

160k is no big deal, I've seen 3.0's with over a 1/4 million and running fine. Really, with the exception of the head gaskets, its a good motor. Under-powered, and overly-thirsty, yeah. But its kind of like owning an ugly dog. You get to know it, fall in love, and wouldn't trade it for anything (expect maybe a 3.4, or a 350 chevy )
Old 10-13-2007, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by nix4x4
160k is no big deal, I've seen 3.0's with over a 1/4 million and running fine. Really, with the exception of the head gaskets, its a good motor. Under-powered, and overly-thirsty, yeah. But its kind of like owning an ugly dog. You get to know it, fall in love, and wouldn't trade it for anything (expect maybe a 3.4, or a 350 chevy )

I'm not concerned about miles on a Toyota, My Land Cruiser is at 210k and going strong. As for fuel mileage, I'm sure I'll get better than the consistent 12.5 average MPG I get in the Cruiser.

What do 3.0s typiaclly get for MPG?

Dave
Old 10-13-2007, 06:08 PM

Well, 12.5 really isn't too far off. I get about that running 33's and stock gears. Before, with 31's, I got about 15-16. I've heard claims of 19mpg on the highway, but I've never gotten that. The rule of tumb on 3.0's is power of a 4 cylinder, gas mileage of a V8.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:19 AM

Sounds good either way as long as it doesn' t have any big ticket current problems
Old 10-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Ya, I say that's a good deal. What are you waiting for?

Search this Thread