Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Logging Gas Info

Old 09-19-2005, 11:07 PM
  #1  
Contributing Member
Thread Starter
 
bob200587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,546
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Logging Gas Info

I decided I'm gonna start logging my gas information at each fill up. I put on the top line: Date, Grade of gas, Gallons Purchased/Used, MPG, Miles on tank, and the Total Price. The last tank i bought, on 9/17 i bought 93 octane, purchased 10.9 gallons, had 207 miles at the time, making my mpg 19, and it cost $30.67. Anybody else do anything like this, I think it should help me keep up with mantienence and gas price fluxuations and what not.
bob200587 is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 06:16 AM
  #2  
Contributing Member
 
YotaJunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 783
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been keeping a log also. Initially, it was only to keep track of how much gas was used because my fuel gauge is not working properly. I've recently begun calculating my mileage in the same you have and was surprised to have gotten 21.5 mph on my last road trip over the weekend, which was mainly highway driving.

Troy
YotaJunky is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 06:43 AM
  #3  
Contributing Member
 
X-AWDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Littleton,CO
Posts: 10,549
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm keeping an official log as of two months ago since I have to budget for gas now. Alos check you tire pressure once a month since mine rear right dropped 17 psi in between my monthly checks and that can really hurt MPGs.
X-AWDriver is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 08:44 AM
  #4  
Contributing Member
 
dibble9012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,748
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use this for tracking all of my vehicle information

http://brody.homeip.net/vt/

Its free to track one car, its a little annoying though because it reminds you this every startup
dibble9012 is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 10:33 AM
  #5  
Contributing Member
Thread Starter
 
bob200587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,546
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dibble9012
I use this for tracking all of my vehicle information

http://brody.homeip.net/vt/

Its free to track one car, its a little annoying though because it reminds you this every startup
looks interesting, no windows version......oh well. Not worth bugging them over.
bob200587 is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 10:52 AM
  #6  
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff
iTrader: (1)
 
Corey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 32,230
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I write out manual logs with every fill up.
Been doing it since Nov. of '98 when I got the 4Runner.
Corey is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 11:12 AM
  #7  
Registered User
 
Glenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ELN
Posts: 1,647
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been keeping track of my gas mileage on MS Excel since last August.
Glenn is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 03:31 PM
  #8  
Registered User
 
GSGALLANT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,756
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also use a spreadsheet that I did up in Excel. I log similar info as you, but it also keeps track of total mileage of the car (by adding miles driven between fill-ups). That total mileage number gets used on the "maintenance page" of the spreadsheet to automatically pop up reminders for the periodic maintenance that I have to do (oil and filter changes, fluid flushes and changes, belt inspections and replacements, brake inspections, sensor and throttle body cleanings, etc...)

Everytime I perform maintenance, I enter it in that same page, and it automatically resets the reminder to the next time I need to do it (based on the interval that I specify for that particular maintenance item).
GSGALLANT is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 05:55 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
kyle_22r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lacey, WA
Posts: 3,981
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i don't like figuring how much more i spend on gas every year. if i had kept a log of what i was paying in 2001 and 2002, looking at it today would make me cry...

i do like to keep track of how many miles i'm getting to a tank, i write the mileage at the fill-up on my gas reciept, kind of like a crude trip odometer, since my truck doesn't have one.
kyle_22r is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 11:30 PM
  #10  
Registered User
 
MeinPappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I track it all in a green, quad ruled, lab (composition style) book. It doesn't leave the truck and in it I track gas mileage, maintenance items, mods, upgrades, etc. I also sketch ideas down for the truck and keep some phone numbers and other info in it. I've also found the green tinted graph paper to be easier on the eyes in full sunlight than the bleached white paper.

It's handy when used this way, as an empirical record of your modification's impact on vehicle performance and gas consumption. It can also be helpful in tracking down problems to specific dates or maintenance items.
MeinPappa is offline  
Old 09-20-2005, 11:36 PM
  #11  
Contributing Member
Thread Starter
 
bob200587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,546
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
I also use a spreadsheet that I did up in Excel. I log similar info as you, but it also keeps track of total mileage of the car (by adding miles driven between fill-ups). That total mileage number gets used on the "maintenance page" of the spreadsheet to automatically pop up reminders for the periodic maintenance that I have to do (oil and filter changes, fluid flushes and changes, belt inspections and replacements, brake inspections, sensor and throttle body cleanings, etc...)

Everytime I perform maintenance, I enter it in that same page, and it automatically resets the reminder to the next time I need to do it (based on the interval that I specify for that particular maintenance item).
do you have any blank spreadsheets in that layout, It sounds like a novel idea, If I had a little more of a template to start out on, I know I'd forget alot of things if I didn't have everything listed. Seems like I usually do mantinence whenever I get the preminition to do so, my in brain mantinece reminder isn't very accurate, something in excel would work great for me.
bob200587 is offline  
Old 09-21-2005, 03:55 AM
  #12  
Registered User
 
GSGALLANT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,756
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bob200587
do you have any blank spreadsheets in that layout, It sounds like a novel idea, If I had a little more of a template to start out on, I know I'd forget alot of things if I didn't have everything listed. Seems like I usually do mantinence whenever I get the preminition to do so, my in brain mantinece reminder isn't very accurate, something in excel would work great for me.
I can save a copy, blank it out, and send it to you if you want. PM me with the email to send it to, and I'll try to get it to you this week.
GSGALLANT is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
tobylab
General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related)
6
01-18-2016 07:06 PM
HollieJayyy
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
3
08-09-2015 07:59 AM
tobylab
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
0
07-12-2015 12:53 PM
Cplmike
Newbie Tech Section
5
07-08-2015 08:47 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Logging Gas Info


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: