86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A little Help Here Leaking Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little Help Here Leaking Coolant

Okay so I was installing my steering stabilizer and when I was done I tested it out so far so good. While driving around I noticed a little smoke and the burning coolant smell, got back to the house pop the hood and searched around for a few minutes to pin point the source...no easy task! Any I found this little guy on the back of the block drizzeling away. Can any of you well experienced Yota dudes and or dudettes know with the heck this is so I can replace it.

Thanks

Old 06-29-2011, 09:01 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
go on toyotapartszone.com and type in your vin and mess around to find the exact parts name. probably something like the temp sensor or something.

i CAN tell you, that is a tricky spot....as we had removed my sons motor and played around with that set of sensor very delicately because there is a bi-metal valve which connects all the way over to you charcoal cannister and easily breaks....so you CANNOT be rough back there.

in my opinion, the way to get at that is to remove the intake plenum and work it out from there. but look it up on that site....not only will you get the PROPER name but also a price and then you could start calling around.

good luck bud.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:05 AM

Thanks 92 Toy! I was really hoping I didn't have to play around with the plenum but if it must be done then it must be done. Oh thanks for the heads up on the delicate parts back there I had no idea!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:20 AM

yeh, well don't get to excited. I didn't want to leave you hanging so I just searched that site and could NOT find what that was called.

but indeed, breaking that little valve I speak of is a $52 problem, so be careful.

otherwise, try maybe to contact Josh (Moderator ''deatchcougar" on here) at www.nix99.com and maybe he could steer you in the right direction. I do believe Brian (moderator "waskillywabbitt") was selling that collection of sensors a few weeks ago.....maybe PM him and see if he still has it.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
yeh, well don't get to excited. I didn't want to leave you hanging so I just searched that site and could NOT find what that was called.

but indeed, breaking that little valve I speak of is a $52 problem, so be careful.

otherwise, try maybe to contact Josh (Moderator ''deatchcougar" on here) at www.nix99.com and maybe he could steer you in the right direction. I do believe Brian (moderator "waskillywabbitt") was selling that collection of sensors a few weeks ago.....maybe PM him and see if he still has it.
Bummer maybe they'll chim in when they get a minute, either way I'll still check the sites you listed when I get home.

Thanks dude
Old 06-29-2011, 12:44 PM

Cold Start Injector Time Switch

If it is right next to the bypass hose, it is the "Cold Start Injector Time Switch"
Attached Thumbnails A little Help Here Leaking Coolant-coldinjector.png  

Last edited by 93toyrunner2; 06-29-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Forgot image
Old 06-29-2011, 01:00 PM

you might have a little hole in that small coolant hose spraying over there too....may not be that part at all unless you can watch what's happening back there.

i had a small leak somewhere and i had to use the video camera to be my eyes because i could not see where it was coming from......try that. get a firm grasp on what is wrong 1st. you may be only seeing where the coolant is ending up, but not where it's coming from.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:23 PM

Thanks Bob, I took your image and determined it was the one I highlighted in red.

Hey 92, I hope there's only one leak lol I had to take my little Canon elph and stuck my hand back there and took multiple photos this thing was bubbling and spraying on the fire wall down on the exhaust and had a little Coolant pooling around its little rim/lip edge? I thought it was going to be the little heater tube that everyone mentions but that things was high and dry.

Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by 4g63rotary; 06-29-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:30 PM

my temp sensor was leaking back there. took it out, teflon taped, reinstalled and no more leaks!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by greencactus3
my temp sensor was leaking back there. took it out, teflon taped, reinstalled and no more leaks!
Yeah I was about say It looks to be the only one with what looks to be Teflon Tape. How'd you get in there?
Old 06-29-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 4g63rotary
Thanks Bob, I took your image and determined it was the one I highlighted in red.

Hey 92, I hope there's only one leak lol I had to take my little Canon elph and stuck my hand back there and took multiple photos this thing was bubbling and spraying on the fire wall down on the exhaust and had a little Coolant pooling around its little rim/lip edge? I thought it was going to be the little heater tube that everyone mentions but that things was high and dry.

Thanks guys!!!
That is the "Cold Start Injection Switch". It has a metal gasket between it and the hole. The bad news is the easiest way to get to this is to remove the plenum. A new plenum gasket is under $10, but it will take a few hours to remove and replace. Don't forget to take pictures of all your vacuum hoses locations, and maybe even replace the PVC valve while you have the plenum off! Immediately next to this switch is a vacuum switch for the evap system. If you touch this switch the wrong way, it will snap off one of the vacuum outlets, and you will end up replacing it as well. ($30) Be careful. Once you get the plenum off, there are only (2) 10mm's nuts holding the pod on. You will need high temp gasket maker when you put the pod back on.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Sounds a little labor intensive should I just take it to the mechanic.... I only like dealing with the fun stuff lol, kidding um ok guess I'll set some time aside to play with this, this weekend.

Thanks dude!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:09 PM

Yeah I was about say It looks to be the only one with what looks to be Teflon Tape. How'd you get in there?
i had the intake plenum off.

takes me about 5 minutes to get it off now since i deleted all the unnecessary vacuum lines.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:11 PM

yes it's labor intensive

nay to the mechanic
Old 06-29-2011, 05:44 PM

While you're down there, if you decide to pull the intake manifold off, replace that little upside-down U-shaped hose too. It always goes bad and starts leaking as well, so you might as well do it too while you're back there.

That little valve that 92 TOY was talking about is called the BVSV or TVV, and yes, be careful not to break it! It's probably old and brittle, and will break easily.

I just replace the U-shaped coolant hose on mine, without removing the intake manifold, and managed to break that valve's little vacuum hose nubs.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Shoua

I just replace the U-shaped coolant hose on mine, without removing the intake manifold, and managed to break that valve's little vacuum hose nubs.
That sucks lol, yeah I was just thinking of replacing everything on the little strip assuming its not too pricey! And I'll do my best not to break anything but honestly I'm very good at breaking things. Thanks for the call outs as well, judging by the parts listed I would assume getting these from Toyota is recommended as appose to Napa or something to that effect?
Old 06-30-2011, 08:02 AM

That sucks lol, yeah I was just thinking of replacing everything on the little strip assuming its not too pricey! And I'll do my best not to break anything but honestly I'm very good at breaking things. Thanks for the call outs as well, judging by the parts listed I would assume getting these from Toyota is recommended as appose to Napa or something to that effect?

you'll hear arguments both ways.

me...I went with mostly Toyota stuff. usually a bit more pricey, but....
Old 06-30-2011, 08:43 AM

Found this after looking up the names of these little switches:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51630864

Which then lead to this:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51603926
Old 07-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Remove your hood! 5 minutes, tops--4 bolts. You might be able to work with it then without removing the plenum. TONS easier than removing that sucker!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Remove your hood! 5 minutes, tops--4 bolts. You might be able to work with it then without removing the plenum. TONS easier than removing that sucker!
I like this Idea!

Quick Reply: A little Help Here Leaking Coolant