86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lift removal/ identification?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift removal/ identification?

i got this 94 pickup for basically free, 3in body lift and looks like the standard rough country 4-5in susp lift. However the truck has barely any clearance up front, I understand the kit uses drop brackets and such, but this much? I know the pictures don't do it's justice I'll take better ones tomorrow but I was wondering what I should remove to gain clearance? Really don't wanna dump much money in the the truck as I just plan on taking it to powerline park Memorial Day weekend and going from there. The control arms are nearly straight and same with cv axles when the truck is on the ground, any info is appreciated, It is the pickup on the left
Attached Thumbnails Lift removal/ identification?-img_1064.jpg   Lift removal/ identification?-img_1063.jpg  
Old 05-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
which pic is the truck your are talking about? Sorry but your truck pics looks like it was taken with one of the 1st cel phone cameras...
Old 05-09-2017, 03:05 AM

It's the pickup on the left with orange grill, with the smaller tires, I'm gonna get a clear picture today after school, my phones camera is broken and that's the only picture I had lastnight
Old 05-09-2017, 11:00 AM

Here's some better pics
Attached Thumbnails Lift removal/ identification?-img_1067.jpg   Lift removal/ identification?-img_1068.jpg   Lift removal/ identification?-img_1069.jpg   Lift removal/ identification?-img_1070.jpg  
Old 05-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Those pics are defintely better. Your A-arms as you know are basically flat, looks like the truck has seen a lot of use. Looks like the torsion bars are either really tired or someone pulled them and re-installed them to lower the truck or the adjusters aren't even there..
Old 05-11-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that looks like a standard 3" drop bracket lift
There were several back in those days
--Trail Master
--Heckertorn
--Rough Country
are a few that come to mind.

You were NOT supposed to crank the bars - you were supposed to leave the bars "stock" and thus retain stock "ride" - albeit with less wheel control, since you ALSO likely went from a stock 29" tire (225/75R15) to something "bigger".

That being said, most "kids" who got the drop bracket lift - ALSO cranked the bars, because - "more lift is better - right".

if you want to gain more clearance - the cheap fix is to hack the front fenders and do the seam push back trick.

More expensive is new Torsion bars - but that can be a slippery slope given the rust in the pictures
(more stuff breaks as you try to get the torsion bars off)
Old 05-11-2017, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by ewong
that looks like a standard 3" drop bracket lift
There were several back in those days
--Trail Master
--Heckertorn
--Rough Country
are a few that come to mind.

You were NOT supposed to crank the bars - you were supposed to leave the bars "stock" and thus retain stock "ride" - albeit with less wheel control, since you ALSO likely went from a stock 29" tire (225/75R15) to something "bigger".

That being said, most "kids" who got the drop bracket lift - ALSO cranked the bars, because - "more lift is better - right".

if you want to gain more clearance - the cheap fix is to hack the front fenders and do the seam push back trick.

More expensive is new Torsion bars - but that can be a slippery slope given the rust in the pictures
(more stuff breaks as you try to get the torsion bars off)
Seam push back trick? I actually completely removed the front fenders
Old 05-12-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zach_trun
Seam push back trick? I actually completely removed the front fenders
there is a seam on the firewall down low just about where the firewall goes under the car
It would be "under the dead pedal" on the driver side.

Its a body seam and it stands up about 3/4" from the rest of the wheel well.

Many people "hammer it " flat.

Although - given the vintage of our trucks - its probably already rusted away...