Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leaky axle seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaky axle seal

Hey folks,

I have replaced one of my rear axle seals twice now and it still seeps very slowly.
I am not so much concerned about oil loss (as the leak is only seeping very slowly) but i don't want the brake shoes to be contaminated.

I can't see any scoring marks on the spot on the axle that sits in the seal, and both times i have installed the seal correctly - with the metal part almost flush with the diff housing.
I was going to try and put the seal in and leave it sticking out a little bit to contact a new part of the axle, but it is hard to judge if it will rub against any moving parts.

Is there some type of sleeve and seal for an axle shaft?
Any ideas - have i missed something obvious?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
You got ABS. or no?? Inner axle seals on the pressed on retainer ring, not on the axle itself.

Ring position is VERY important on ABS type particularly. A bearing with too much play can wreck a seal too.

I had a machinist friend make a couple rings up for me for my ABS rear end that were extra wide, but unfortunately he has passed.

Last edited by millball; 06-07-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:11 PM

Non-ABS and it's a relatively new wheel bearing - only done a couple of thousand kms on it.

Yeah, the beveled edge on the press fit collar looks dangerously close the edge of the axle seal...

Last edited by The_One; 06-07-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:20 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Have you checked the differential breather? If it's plugged it will cause oil to be forced past the seal when the diff heats up from driving. No seal will hold up.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:25 PM

That's a good point.
I checked that the little 'bobble' head is loose and not stuck on with debris - but i will unscrew the whole breather and see if it is blocked.