Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Knock Sensor 22re question?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knock Sensor 22re question?

So I blew the motor in my toy and I had replaced it with the 2 wheel drive motor so I had to change to oil pan etc.. well long story short I got everything hooked up except the knock sensor it wouldnt hook up because the 2 wheel drive motor for some reason different have a hookup for the sensor my main concern is what is the purpose for the knock sensor besides having the check engine light on the truck runs great I was just wondering out of curiousity thanks!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hm, I read somewhere the 2wd 22REs didn't even have a knock sensor. If the ecu expects a knock sensor, you need it. It's a primary sensor for determining timing. I know on my 3vze that if the knock sensor is missing or has failed, the ecu will retard the timing such that it has no power and poor gas mileage. Not sure if the 22re ecu does the same.

Bottom line, you want to use the sensor made for your vehicle - that's the only one that will work with the ecu. This thread has some knock sensor info, including info on repairing the connector if needed:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...58#post2932258
Old 02-11-2010, 01:37 PM

the wierd thing that i have noticed with it is that when its cold it has all the power in the world but when it warms up it seems to deteriate its weird but I have being drive without it for a couple of months and havent hand no problems except for that but it thats the case and i need it what am i suppose to do? any way for hooking this sensor up at all?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by muddbogg21
the wierd thing that i have noticed with it is that when its cold it has all the power in the world but when it warms up it seems to deteriate its weird but I have being drive without it for a couple of months and havent hand no problems except for that but it thats the case and i need it what am i suppose to do?
When motor is cold, it runs in open loop - meaning the ecu uses preset values for mixture and timing. When the engine coolant temp sensor (ECT) reports the motor at operating temp, the ecu switches over to closed loop, using inputs from the O2 sensor and other sensors to calibrate mixture and timing. So it could very well be that the absence of the knock sensor is causing the ecu to retard the timing when it runs in closed loop. You could check it with an advance timing light, comparing advance at, say, 2500 rpm when motor cold and when hot.

any way for hooking this sensor up at all?
Follow that link I gave for info on the connector; but you should have a connector in your wiring harness already and should be able to grab the old sensor off the old motor (or get one from a junkyard/ebay/craigs) and install it and attach the existing connector.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 PM

yeah I do have the old sensor on my junk motor and also The connecter is on the wiring harness I think I should be able to rethread the predrilled spot on the 2wd motor so i can put the knock sensor in just hope it aint a b*tch haha, but im gonna read the link you gave me thanks a bunch for the help! greatly appreciated